Stewart Donald anyone.....

I started this thread a year ago and cant believe its still running.....!

But I've binge watched the whole of series two today, and Methven definitely doesn't come out looking very good as a result of this! He seems to have zero man management skills, getting his lackies to do all his work for him, prancing about like he owns the club himself. But I do like Stewart Donald and he's definitely a genuine football man but I think he's way out of his depth there and I'm not sure he would be a good fit for us or have the necessary finance to keep us going, maybe we should be grateful for Tiger and his associates!

I think it has become clear why DE wouldn’t sell to a group who had Charlie as part of it.
I am glad we have tiger, he is in no way perfect but seems a bit more level headed when it comes to running a football club. You can’t imagine Tiger spending £3 million in a panic even when the manager tells him he isn’t even worth 1.5 million!
I’m also glad now that after everyone has seen what Charlie is really like they won’t want him anywhere near the running of our football club.

I think it has become clear why DE wouldn’t sell to a group who had Charlie as part of it.
I am glad we have tiger, he is in no way perfect but seems a bit more level headed when it comes to running a football club. You can’t imagine Tiger spending £3 million in a panic even when the manager tells him he isn’t even worth 1.5 million!
I’m also glad now that after everyone has seen what Charlie is really like they won’t want him anywhere near the running of our football club.

Agreed, that was truly shocking and worrying that part, £1.25 million was a lot, god knows how they ended up at £3 million! Wigan truly pulled the Mackem's pants down there!

Not very happy that SD was quite dismissive about OUFC, we became just another club?
Not to a true disciple of the U's!
I always found his outlook strange. I remember when Thomas took over at Northampton, he was giving them money for sponsorship and other such things to help them make signings, despite them being in the same league as us. When people questioned it on here (quite reasonably and politely I might add) he basically threw a tantrum, said he can do what he wants to with his cash and essentially went “I don’t have to keep giving OUFC money if you’re going to question my decisions.”

Bit of a luvvie at times, Stew.

I always found his outlook strange. I remember when Thomas took over at Northampton, he was giving them money for sponsorship and other such things to help them make signings, despite them being in the same league as us. When people questioned it on here (quite reasonably and politely I might add) he basically threw a tantrum, said he can do what he wants to with his cash and essentially went “I don’t have to keep giving OUFC money if you’re going to question my decisions.”

Bit of a luvvie at times, Stew.

It's that lack of passion for OUFC that I have mentioned often in relation to some Oxonians!

SD may well have helped Oxford out in the past, but I'm not so sure that I'd want him running things. He spent a lot at Eastleigh with little to show for it, and gambled on Sunderland going straight back up but was already on his a**e before covid-19 came along to hit their finances even further. The fact that he has put so much faith in the likes of Charlie and Richard Hill shows that he goes with his heart over his head too often.

The £10m loan from the Americans was to cover operational costs for this season with the hope of promotion to pay them back. We're in uncertain times for many businesses, but you would have to wonder whether they'll be able to cope with a significant delay to the season restarting or a shortened season next. I wouldn't be surprised to see a bail out from the yanks in the coming months if they're still interested.

Juan Sartori is a mentalist. Remember when some on here thought he was the saviour...

How is coming across to those of us who won’t probably watch the series?

(I’m going for something more down to earth like Tiger King).

Into the 3rd episode and it's strangely compelling viewing. For 2 big OUFC fans who had some involvement at the club in the last 10-15 years, they repeated the same mistakes that we did in the Conference, spending more money than we spunked in the process, but the same lack of success. Incredibly naive and some big dick swinging for the cameras that in retrospect, comes across badly. They almost pulled it off though, to be fair.

Charlie is trending on Twitter again today and all but most of it is not positive. He's like watching a combination of David Brent and Alan Partridge with a big old trainset. He not leading, he's shouting from what I have seen. Lingo bingo.

How is coming across to those of us who won’t probably watch the series?

(I’m going for something more down to earth like Tiger King).

Stewart Donald - Seems a decent bloke, heart in the right place but massively out of his depth at Sunderland

Charles Methven - Absolute thundercunt

Juan Sartori - Certifiably insane, not sure what he actually does other than act like a excited dog when they get taken in a car journey.

I find it interesting that SD will watch games in with the fans but Charlie loves the comfort of the directors box.

Have to say though, Charlie Boy was dead right in that third episode to get rid of the marketing woman. The one who before they got 46k for Boxing Day said there wasn’t a hope in hell’s chance of reaching 40k. I had to sort out a business a few years ago that was full of people like her with that same mentality and mindset. Weirdly enough, the main problem person there was also from Northern Ireland and had a similar ‘shruggy’ demeanour. Pains me to say it, but on a business level he was right to do what he did and he was also right to target that initiative for that game.

I feel dirty. Need to get on with watching the last couple of episodes to see if he can Turbo Brent himself into the sun some more.

Have to say though, Charlie Boy was dead right in that third episode to get rid of the marketing woman. The one who before they got 46k for Boxing Day said there wasn’t a hope in hell’s chance of reaching 40k. I had to sort out a business a few years ago that was full of people like her with that same mentality and mindset. Weirdly enough, the main problem person there was also from Northern Ireland and had a similar ‘shruggy’ demeanour. Pains me to say it, but on a business level he was right to do what he did and he was also right to target that initiative for that game.

I feel dirty. Need to get on with watching the last couple of episodes to see if he can Turbo Brent himself into the sun some more.
I saw one comment that summed him up so far. It's not what he did, but the way he did it. And the way he did it was bad.

Stephen Elliott, who presumably knows some of the staff, isn't so kind though

As much as Charlie is Charlie, you can’t argue with what he was trying to achieve. He was being f held back by a negative group. The point highlighted previously shows that. Also a while before all that, as shown on the documentary he delivered a presentation to key staff ( I assume ) and at the end asked for questions. He got none. He went on to say maybe he should have planted some. Now that’s a worry, fair enough you may not like the man, or his ways, but ultimately you pull together for the job ( football club ) in hand.

Sunderland is rotten, the majority of the players , the management, even the staff. But most of all the fans. They are the worst. And to think after we played them twice this season Geordies were bad. f**k the lot of em bar a little bit SD.

a bit more level headed? Maybe, maybe not.

...but if you’ve heard some of the anecdotes I’ve heard directly about Tiger from decent sources then the guy is absolutely bonkers.

And whilst ive little time to defend Charlie we should be far more respectful of Mr Donald on here. Firstly he’s supported us hugely on a financial level in our very darkest hours in the conference.

Secondly it may be that one day he might be the one that saves us from darker times again.

He reads these forums and should have earnt our respect purely on his massive financial contributions with little expectation in return.

edit: he needs to get the arm length on his shirts and suits sorted though ??

Last edited:
a bit more level headed? Maybe, maybe not.

...but if you’ve heard some of the anecdotes I’ve heard directly about Tiger from decent sources then the guy is absolutely bonkers.

And whilst ive little time to defend Charlie we should be far more respectful of Mr Donald on here. Firstly he’s supported us hugely on a financial level in our very darkest hours in the conference.

Secondly it may be that one day he might be the one that saves us from darker times again.

He reads these forums and has earnt our respect purely on his massive financial contributions with little expectation in return.

I have not seen anything particularly bad being said about SD on here, most of us have always been supportive of him.

But I am really pissed off at the way he seemed to dismiss us as a bit of a non entity and maybe it was edited that way but how can any real U's fan speak about us in that way!

Last edited:
I think that’s probably necessary PR given circumstances? what else can he say given he’s Sunderland owner and we are rivals.

Admittedly not there yet though so I reserve the right to change my opinion

Back
Top Bottom