Stewart Donald anyone.....

Scotchegg, have you ever met Charlie ? Or is your apparent hatred through arguing on these boards?

I have met him several times when he was involved with the Club.
I get on with most folk, however he was a notable exception.
First time you question yourself, second time you think nope maybe its him...when it never changes you know you were right!
His ability to talk down to people was second to none and his "air of grandeur" that he was "someone special" was a sight to behold.
I`m guessing that is reflective of his job and how he lives his life.

Complete opposite to DE in my humble, there is a business man who knows about people and talks to them on a level.

As my old boss used to say, be nice on the way up because you`ll need those folk on the way down".

You might want to listen to the interview he gave their local tv. Comes across as anything but shrewd. Reckon he's massively out of his depth here and it's definitely not a case of if he leaves Sunderland, but when.

Maybe Darryl was the shrewd business man when he dodged this bullet and went with Tiger.
You’ll do well to get some on this forum to agree that Darryl did anything good for this club (just look at the juvenile “pint and a hotdog posts“) but history will tell different. He was a shrewd businessman and chairman but ran into unfortunate financial issues, as I understood it.

I’ve met Stewart a few times and has always come across as genuine and decent. The Donald family have been very good friends to OUFC over the years.

As for Methven, never met the guy and can only go on his contribution to these boards previously. To be fair he had a few interesting things to say but on the whole came across a complete a**e.

Because of the Oxford connection I’ve taken a greater interest in Sunderland’s performances on and off the pitch than I would any other League 1 rival.

From the outside looking in, the Grigg signing and the Ross sacking both look like panic decisions. Parkinson is a perfectly reasonable appointment, but it does look as if he’s got his work cut out to unify the dressing room. As a club with their financial clout they really should be nailed on for automatic promotion. The January ‘window’ could make or break their season.

Still don’t understand what Sartori brings to the party?

I’ve met Stewart a few times and has always come across as genuine and decent. The Donald family have been very good friends to OUFC over the years.

As for Methven, never met the guy and can only go on his contribution to these boards previously. To be fair he had a few interesting things to say but on the whole came across a complete a**e.

Because of the Oxford connection I’ve taken a greater interest in Sunderland’s performances on and off the pitch than I would any other League 1 rival.

From the outside looking in, the Grigg signing and the Ross sacking both look like panic decisions. Parkinson is a perfectly reasonable appointment, but it does look as if he’s got his work cut out to unify the dressing room. As a club with their financial clout they really should be nailed on for automatic promotion. The January ‘window’ could make or break their season.

Still don’t understand what Sartori brings to the party?
I spoke to DE just before he left and asked him why he chose Tiger over Sartori. He said that he had never felt that Sartori was "fully committed" whereas Tiger was. Perhaps SD is finding the same, about Sartori, at Sunderland.

I was introduced to Charlie by Myles during the Conference years when CM was simply a supporter and forum contributor with no obvious ambition to be involved in running the club. Chatted with him a few times and watched several matches in his company. Charlie is often described as a 'Marmite' character, which I've always taken to mean you either love him or hate him, but I find myself disagreeing with that and straddling the middle line.

Charlie can most certainly give the impression that he considers himself intellectually and socially superior to most, but I think that's a product of his upbringing. If you're always been told you have a silver spoon in your mouth and will be successful in everything you try, you tend to believe it.

My impression of CM is that he's a dedicated OUFC fan who is capable of reading a game (on the pitch) and is knowledgeable about the club and football in general. He's also difficult to warm to and often seems out of place on the 'terraces' amongst 'ordinary' fans. Certainly not a despicable person, but not someone I'd travel far to spend time with. The way he conducted himself on this forum is fairly reflective of his attitude to other OUFC fans, in my opinion.
But he does throw his toys out of the pram though

They need a couple of wins quickly. It doesnt sound good.
How have SD and CM apparently disagreed (is it the part time/ 70 hours a week comments?)
Perhaps it's a case of SD has other business interests that need his attention, so he can't the face of the place and there is friction with Chartle over the fact that he's not always available.

In those scenarios, you find out close people really are and what their real relationship can look like.

Charlie is pompous and cares for no one else other than himself.
The way he conducted himself towards the end of his forum days was nothing short of disgusting with some of the stuff he was saying and wanting sympathy over yet leading a life style that didn’t match what he wanted sympathy over.
For the I hope that he never has any power in the running of our club and will quite happily enjoy his fall from grace in the north east.

SD has always come across as a passionate fan who loves the club dearly and has helped the club out many times. I wish him well but I’m glad he isn’t in charge of OUFC.

Charlie is pompous and cares for no one else other than himself.
The way he conducted himself towards the end of his forum days was nothing short of disgusting with some of the stuff he was saying and wanting sympathy over yet leading a life style that didn’t match what he wanted sympathy over.
For the I hope that he never has any power in the running of our club and will quite happily enjoy his fall from grace in the north east.

SD has always come across as a passionate fan who loves the club dearly and has helped the club out many times. I wish him well but I’m glad he isn’t in charge of OUFC.

I’ll stick a hand up for Charlie. He’s been a fan from back in the Manor days. Much longer than I have.

I don't think Charlie's credentials as a supporter have ever been in doubt. Although I don't think he would have got away with his choice of trousers on the LRT...

I don't think Charlie's credentials as a supporter have ever been in doubt. Although I don't think he would have got away with his choice of trousers on the LRT...

Speaking of which...did anyone notice Nigel Farage's cracking mustard chinos yesterday?

Makes you think, doesn't it?

You’ll do well to get some on this forum to agree that Darryl did anything good for this club (just look at the juvenile “pint and a hotdog posts“) but history will tell different. He was a shrewd businessman and chairman but ran into unfortunate financial issues, as I understood it.
That will depend on who's version of history you want to believe, you are right in your shrewd businessman assertion..

He might of been but that doesn’t stop him from being a 1st class bell end does it?
It was also how he treated people.

When he posted about normal things, he was a smart man, but he simply could not stop abusing/bullying people and conflating his own worth when doing it. A smart chap, and a long standing fan. But also an arrogant, pompous a**e.

That will depend on who's version of history you want to believe, you are right in your shrewd businessman assertion..

If only there was a quantifiable way of measuring the success of a football team during the tenure of a chairman. Maybe someone should go to the trouble of ranking all of the English teams..

Perhaps it's a case of SD has other business interests that need his attention, so he can't the face of the place and there is friction with Chartle over the fact that he's not always available.

In those scenarios, you find out close people really are and what their real relationship can look like.
Or just fancied a month watching a decent ‘winning’ team and time away from the dark satanic mills up north......

Back
Top Bottom