Stewart Donald anyone.....

I suspect SD has just realized that he's not going to be able to make the easy, tidy profit he hoped from these American investors - so if he doesn't want to lose a ton of money propping up the club, he's got to get Sunderland promoted this year.

Ross has most likely had the biggest budget that League One has ever seen, and he's failed to get them promoted (unlike, as I pointed out yesterday, virtually every other big budget Championship club that's been relegated in the past five years - they've all bounced back at the first time of asking) or in position for an easy promotion this season. His sacking is well earned.

Honestly, his appointment was a head-scratcher in the first place. With so much on the line, why would you take a risk on someone with no experience of English football (barring one year at Hartlepool where he went AWOL because he was homesick)?

Bet whoever they appoint now has at least one lower league promotion in their back pocket.

He needed to get them promoted last year to do that so it's lucky for him they walked the league.....

He would have got the £50m he is after from the yanks no bother if they were in the championship but who in their right mind is going to pay that sort of money for a Div 3 club with only 1 guaranteed promotion slot if Ipswich keep it going?

Turned down by Mark Robbins, who would rather stay at a club with no ground, so now they are talking to Pikey Ainsworth. Whatever you think of Stew, and I've always thought he was a genuine bloke, he's shown for years that he's just not got a clue when it comes to appointing managers. Ronnie Moore, Martin Allen, Richard Hill, Andy Hessenthaler. Must just be a matter of time before the Fat Boy pitches up at the Stadium of Light....

Turned down by Mark Robbins, who would rather stay at a club with no ground, so now they are talking to Pikey Ainsworth. Whatever you think of Stew, and I've always thought he was a genuine bloke, he's shown for years that he's just not got a clue when it comes to appointing managers. Ronnie Moore, Martin Allen, Richard Hill, Andy Hessenthaler. Must just be a matter of time before the Fat Boy pitches up at the Stadium of Light....
Mmm. I am.not sure what that says about Mark Robbins (if true) . Clearly huge club that could be Premiership.
Coventry are a great club but they have huge problems to even exist

Mmm. I am.not sure what that says about Mark Robbins (if true) . Clearly huge club that could be Premiership.
Coventry are a great club but they have huge problems to even exist

I guess one of the issues in attracting a new manager to Sunderland (especially one in a current secure position) is the ongoing saga of potential takeovers. New owners will nearly always bring in their own preferred manager.

Ainsworth is in the running, if I was a Sunderland fan I’d be hoping for anyone but him. Thuggish football.

Out of work managers such as Parkinson or Stendel would appear to be the much more likely bet. No compensation to pay.

Plus with all the uncertainty around potential takeovers which manager would want to leave a current secure position when new owners nearly always bring in their own man.

Im surprised Rowett isnt in the running. Not sure what the situation is with him but id wouldve thought hed be back in work by now. Maybe he sees tv punditry as a less stressful way to make a living?

Im surprised Rowett isnt in the running. Not sure what the situation is with him but id wouldve thought hed be back in work by now. Maybe he sees tv punditry as a less stressful way to make a living?
I read that he wasn't interested , but he has been linked to the Milwall job.

Don't really get all the anti Ainsworth stuff on this forum. He seems a decent enough bloke. And has done a good job on a tiny budget at a tinpot club.....
I have to agree. Also, he was a cultured player so with a better budget im sure the football would be prettier. Its been said often enough on this forum that a good manager tailers their tactics to suit the squad available to them. Id be interested to see how he‘d fair at a club like Sunderland with the squad available there.

Don't really get all the anti Ainsworth stuff on this forum. He seems a decent enough bloke. And has done a good job on a tiny budget at a tinpot club.....

I think it is because of the style of play and the game management his team employed, see Graham Westley for a comparison. Plus, Ainsworth's continued pleading of poverty, when they had a bigger budget than some of their rivals, whenever they had an interview which got utterly tedious, ie. the GPS vests being the most ridiculous, springs to mind, because they weren't the latest model from that year.

I think it is because of the style of play and the game management his team employed, see Graham Westley for a comparison. Plus, Ainsworth's continued pleading of poverty, when they had a bigger budget than some of their rivals, whenever they had an interview which got utterly tedious, ie. the GPS vests being the most ridiculous, springs to mind, because they weren't the latest model from that year.
Dreadful dreadful 'style ' of anti football. Some success but while doing well with a smaller club just painful to watch.

Phil Parkinson appointed as manager with Steve Parkin as assistant. Seems a good choice of an experienced manager who got Bolton promoted to the Championship.

Never liked Parkinson. Probably a Reading thing.

Friend of mine who supports Bolton has only good things to say about him though, especially regarding his quiet dignity as Bolton fell to pieces around him.

Seems a sensible and probably decent appointment.

Back
Top Bottom