Stewart Donald anyone.....

However they were saying right from the start that they might have a big "budget" aka wage bill but they didnt have the equivalent quality value in the squad because of the bad contracts they had inherited.

So i dont think it proves anything.
I think that the general view on here and amongst Sunderland fans generally before the season started was that with the budget they had, they should have gone up.

This season their wage bill is expected to be around 12/13 million? So still @ 25% higher than the next highest.

Despite last season’s failure they should and will be favourites for the title again.

As an aside I wonder what Ipswich wage bill will be for the coming season?

The season before last, Ipswich's wage bill was 18.5m

They may have slashed it post-relegation, I don't know, but if not they should be alongside Sunderland in having a dominant financial position for League One.

Obviously it doesn't necessarily translate to promotion; but their management will have failed if they don't go up.

The season before last, Ipswich's wage bill was 18.5m

They may have slashed it post-relegation, I don't know, but if not they should be alongside Sunderland in having a dominant financial position for League One.

Obviously it doesn't necessarily translate to promotion; but their management will have failed if they don't go up.
The vast majority of the Ipswich squad had 40% to 50% reductions in their salaries due to relegation.
I have seen estimates of £5m to £8m salary bill this coming season.
Probably second to Suderlands whose salary bill will no doubt dwarf the other clubs in the Division.

Sunderland last year had the highest playing budget that league 1 has ever seen. This season they will still have the second highest budget ever. Ipswich this season and Barnsley last year have/had budgets several million less.

Of course it still comes down to how well you spend, and what you do with those players but Sunderland failed massively, and a repeat this year will not only equal that failure but could lead to serious problems without any more parachute payments to come.

Sunderland last year had the highest playing budget that league 1 has ever seen. This season they will still have the second highest budget ever. Ipswich this season and Barnsley last year have/had budgets several million less.

Of course it still comes down to how well you spend, and what you do with those players but Sunderland failed massively, and a repeat this year will not only equal that failure but could lead to serious problems without any more parachute payments to come.

And Sunderland dropped twice in two seasons, so I’d say it’s hard to compare.

I'm not sure that I quite agree.
A number of clubs have come down with large budgets.
Sunderland's appeared to be head and shoulders above the Blackburn/ Wigans of the world.
Sunderland sure had done overpaid ex PL players but even taking them out they had a very large budget in League 1 (paying large fees for Wyke/ Griggs)

Wyke/griggs yes, agreed (although maja probably netted off griggs in practice)

But if the majority of said budget has been spent badly by the previous administration, how liable are you?

Wyke/griggs yes, agreed (although maja probably netted off griggs in practice)

But if the majority of said budget has been spent badly by the previous administration, how liable are you?
Some of the players weren't good enough but there were still PL players there.
Sunderland still brought new players in.
They certainly to be appeared to have a lack of pace throughout the team ( they couldn't cope with Browne and reverted to chopping him.down whenever they got near enough to him)
I appreciate that they has big problems (but assume that Wigan Bolton also did as they had just been relegated so would have had big budgets/ lack if confidence/ players they would like to have got rid of)
Sunderland appeared to have made mistakes last season and despite the legacy issues, had such a massive budget advantage that they still should have gone up.

It’s fair point that budgets aren’t just budgets.

If you started in league 1 with no players but an available wage/transfer budget of £25m, you’d expect to do well.

If you already have average players on huge contracts (imagine you had Garbutt and Cattermole on 25k p/w each for example) there’s less flexibility and you can spend a lot of money without necessarily having a great squad

Stuart Donald and Charlie for me all day long, both from Oxfordshire both sensible and business minded and very capable of moving OUFC forward.
Rather than a bunch of so called faceless Millionaires on a free lunch - Show us how powerful you really are don’t just sit there and watch our OXFORD UNITED became even deeper in the sh-t and the once proud club the laughing stock it’s becoming.
I for one support the club and hope for a little success but after 50 years of some success I am now considering the possibility of cashing in my season tickets if possible to get off this Train of ruin bumping along whilst unable to even sign sufficient senior players to start the season, your thoughts gentlemen?

Stuart Donald and Charlie for me all day long, both from Oxfordshire both sensible and business minded and very capable of moving OUFC forward.
Rather than a bunch of so called faceless Millionaires on a free lunch - Show us how powerful you really are don’t just sit there and watch our OXFORD UNITED became even deeper in the sh-t and the once proud club the laughing stock it’s becoming.
I for one support the club and hope for a little success but after 50 years of some success I am now considering the possibility of cashing in my season tickets if possible to get off this Train of ruin bumping along whilst unable to even sign sufficient senior players to start the season, your thoughts gentlemen?
Bizarre first post.
'Soccer' isnt that what Americans call football,?

How much do you want for your season tickets?

I shall see what the club say Monday morning? Why does a Well known member not have tickets anyway or is your supporting from this forum?

would that be the same charlie that put money on his own team to be relegated only to S.H.P and cash out his certainty.

The same charlie that for weeks was telling us all was doom and gloom despite myself and others pointing out that at the time several clubs below us all had to suddenly go on winning runs whilst we picked up hardly any more points.

The same charlie that headed north to make an investment in another alleged certainty only to realize that it didn't stay the distance and having dropped into a seller finds very few bidders in the auction.

You could have had a one on one with him next week but since you're considering offloading your investment that pleasure has been avoided.

I shall see what the club say Monday morning? Why does a Well known member not have tickets anyway or is your supporting from this forum?
If you are referring to Scotchegg I am.sure he wont trycand sell his season ticket if the club say the wrong thing on Monday..

Back
Top Bottom