Stewart Donald anyone.....

If Sunderland don’t get promoted this season then that’s failure in most eyes.

Having said that I’d still make them firm favourites for promotion next season due to their huge financial advantage, plus the manager will have had a season’s experience of League 1 football and that should stand him and the team in good stead .

On a personal level I wish SD well, he and the Donald family have been very generous to OUFC over the years. Sunderland FC however are just another League 1 rival with a bit of local interest due to the ownership.

It wouldn't surprise me if Ross got the elbow if they failed to get promotion this season (they must have the largest budget in the division), so perhaps they won't have the continuity that you suggest.

It wouldn't surprise me if Ross got the elbow if they failed to get promotion this season (they must have the largest budget in the division), so perhaps they won't have the continuity that you suggest.

It’s a thin line between success and failure.

If Sunderland get promoted, Ross will have done his job, the money spent on Grigg will be justified. SD awarded the freedom of Sunderland. Championship football. One step from the Premiership.

If not then SD will be under pressure from the supporters as will Ross, the Grigg ‘investment’ will be seen as a misfiring panic buy. Another season of League 1 football. One step from League 2.

Either way I’d back the manager to have another go, otherwise you just start the whole managerial merry go round once more, but then again it’s not my money! Saying that SD doesn’t have the best record in managerial appointments!

If not then SD will be under pressure from the supporters as will Ross, the Grigg ‘investment’ will be seen as a misfiring panic buy.

SAFC had their hand forced by Josh Maja who made it clear he would not sign a contract extension. Rather than seeing him walk away from fee, they understandably cashed in on the lad and subsequently re-invested the proceeds into Grigg who hasn't been fully match fit since.

In an ideal world, I feel that Maja would have signed on (15 goals in 24 appearances) and automatic promotion would have been theirs. SD has since lamented about how contracts with key young players were poorly managed by the previous regime and such situations will be avoided in the future.

SAFC had their hand forced by Josh Maja who made it clear he would not sign a contract extension. Rather than seeing him walk away from fee, they understandably cashed in on the lad and subsequently re-invested the proceeds into Grigg who hasn't been fully match fit since.

In an ideal world, I feel that Maja would have signed on (15 goals in 24 appearances) and automatic promotion would have been theirs. SD has since lamented about how contracts with key young players were poorly managed by the previous regime and such situations will be avoided in the future.
In retrospect has he continued to score and they had have been automatically promoted it would have money (lost) well spent!!
Grigg was clearly brought in to get the goals for promotion so that will have been a poor signing unless they get up in the play offs.

With regard to Ross I reckon he will be kept on but he will have failed if they don't go up.

Good interview with Charlie here and doesn't forget his roots, or we would all (or some of us) be calling him a turncoat.

"People say football fans in this region are more passionate than elsewhere. That's not entirely true because as an Oxford fan I was as passionate and committed as anyone. "

I hear Stewart Donald is only selling a % of Sunderland but will still have majority ownership

I hear Stewart Donald is only selling a % of Sunderland but will still have majority ownership
Sounds more like he will take whatever deal he can because Sunderland in league 1 will quickly P**s away his money. Satori doesn't appear to be ready to throw any more money in, and there is unlikely to be a quick return on his investment anytime soon.

I would guess that SD, Satori and Charlie will end up with around 40% stake in total with the rest coming from a far east investor. If no lucky in the next couple of weeks, they will hope to get promotion next season and sell their shares at a (delayed) profit.

Sunderland have won 1, drawn 2 and lost 3 of their last 6, so maybe they've just bottled it at the wrong time and Southend have rightly benefited. Either way, it's 46 games that take you down or keep you up, not just the last 90 minutes.

Play to the ultimate final whistle

They may still go up and make a nice slice of wonga, but if they stay down I will have a snigger to myself. Not at the expense of Stewart Donald, but some of there supporters. They thought they would walk this league, and they’ve just realised Lge 1 is more competitive than they first thought.

Back
Top Bottom