Stewart Donald anyone.....

I don't think you need to worry about Stewart, he's an excellent, shrewd businessman and I am sure he'll do OK once he leaves, if he leaves, Sunderland.

The problem with Sunderland, is their unrealistic fanbase. Championship football wouldn't be acceptable to them either.

I don't think you need to worry about Stewart, he's an excellent, shrewd businessman and I am sure he'll do OK once he leaves, if he leaves, Sunderland.

The problem with Sunderland, is their unrealistic fanbase. Championship football wouldn't be acceptable to them either.

Put £10m into Eastleigh with little to show for it, and could lose the lot with Sunderland.

Excellent businessman he may be, but he is not the greatest football chairman in the world and whilst Sunderland fans may have high expectations, remaining in league 1 for a third season will be nothing short of an absolute disaster and an unprecedented failure.

I think it's fair to say that after tonight's 3-0 loss at L2 strugglers Scunthorpe, Stewart isn't particularly popular.

And they're calling for a new manager already - Parkinson's had 5ish games in charge?

I think it's fair to say that after tonight's 3-0 loss at L2 strugglers Scunthorpe, Stewart isn't particularly popular.

Blimey. Imagine how they'd have reacted if Tiger had taken over with the succession of winding up orders???

And just imagine how they would react if they had to endure a season watching their team get relegated from L1 whilst shipping over 100 goals,?

Just goes to show how restrained we generally were and also what delusions of grandeur Sunderland fans have. They are where they are for a good reason!

The meltdown on Twitter was hilarious reading last night after their loss to Scunny. It seems the Methven shine has well and truly worn off and the manager claims he has no strikers. Fans were that angry that the manager was trending on Twitter.

And fans are understandably asking where is Donald? Is the jig finally up? It's weird saying that after only 18 months or so, but it seems that Donald and co have run out time, money and ideas.

Their forum is great...
Grant Leadbetter - legs gone.
Chris Maguire - Trouble maker.
Apparently, according to their forum, they haven’t got a decent striker!!?
Parkinson out!?

can’t believe some are turning on Maguire, same as Bury fans. did we just get lucky with him?

can’t believe some are turning on Maguire, same as Bury fans. did we just get lucky with him?
I think he simply hated it at Bury (as did everyone that season it seems) and Sunderland fans still think they’re a top flight club, whereas we were a L2 and then newly-promoted L1 club who simply saw a good player who liked a wind up. He was perfect for us and we were perfect for him given how his career seemed to have stalled at the time.

Unusually, given most players don’t really feel a damn thing for any club they represent during their careers, he does genuinely seem quite fond of OUFC and there seems to be a mutual respect. Which only makes me want to kiss his face even more.

I think any established club that has slipped into the fifth tier as we did learns a lot in the lesson of humility. We were the arrogant ones outnumbering home fans at away games, beating everyone in the first half of the 2006-07 season and to say that we, as a club including the fans, were cocksure is an understatement. It makes that fall a lot harder to take.

By ‘being Sunderland’ and having the biggest budget in the league doesn’t make you get promoted. It’ll install you as favourites but you have to play the League 1 game to succeed down here. Shock and awe only works for so long.

At our place last season, Sunderland looked like they could find another gear and finish us off but oddly didn’t slip into it. We snuck in and took a draw from them. They need grafters and workhorses alongside their Max Powers and Will Griggs.

Michael Appleton would have made a great appointment for them in my view. Phil Parkinson could and will do it for them eventually but if they could get their heads out of their own arses, then maybe the Sunderland fans could see that.

I think any established club that has slipped into the fifth tier as we did learns a lot in the lesson of humility. We were the arrogant ones outnumbering home fans at away games, beating everyone in the first half of the 2006-07 season and to say that we, as a club including the fans, were cocksure is an understatement. It makes that fall a lot harder to take.

By ‘being Sunderland’ and having the biggest budget in the league doesn’t make you get promoted. It’ll install you as favourites but you have to play the League 1 game to succeed down here. Shock and awe only works for so long.

At our place last season, Sunderland looked like they could find another gear and finish us off but oddly didn’t slip into it. We snuck in and took a draw from them. They need grafters and workhorses alongside their Max Powers and Will Griggs.

Michael Appleton would have made a great appointment for them in my view. Phil Parkinson could and will do it for them eventually but if they could get their heads out of their own arses, then maybe the Sunderland fans could see that.
Bang on the money unification. There were times during our unceremonious fall from the higher echelons of professional football when many did think we were too big or too good to go down/not get promoted.

But once you are on that slippery slope it will take a certain sort of character to stop it and turn it around, especially when it is toxic in and around the club on social media and in the ground on match day.

Michael Appleton did that for us (with time and support offered by the board at the time) and I am sure we'll always be grateful for it.

Yes we've had plenty of wobbles and reasons for concern since (lest we forget it was less than 3 months ago that many were pressing the panic button over our summer transfer dealings) and I have no doubt we will again.

But it should make you appreciate the good times that little bit more and steel yourself for the thinner times that might be just over the horizon*

EDIT: I should not have overlooked Chris Wilders part in our resurgence either.....

*I have no knowledge that anything might be, by the way[emoji1787]

Last edited:
I think he simply hated it at Bury (as did everyone that season it seems) and Sunderland fans still think they’re a top flight club, whereas we were a L2 and then newly-promoted L1 club who simply saw a good player who liked a wind up. He was perfect for us and we were perfect for him given how his career seemed to have stalled at the time.

Unusually, given most players don’t really feel a damn thing for any club they represent during their careers, he does genuinely seem quite fond of OUFC and there seems to be a mutual respect. Which only makes me want to kiss his face even more.

I also think he has to be managed in a certain way and MApp knew how to do it to get the best from him.

The Sunderland forum is hilarious. One bloke suggesting they sack all the players bar two and start again in January, sack the manager, force the board to leave etc etc etc.
And because they lost in the doesn't matter cup - which is apparently the last straw. Although I think there have been several previous 'last straws' over the last few years :)

? I guess their fitness coach isn't doing a great job!

Also, Charlie and Stewart Donald getting slammed for their new "investment":

The Sunderland forum is hilarious. One bloke suggesting they sack all the players bar two and start again in January, sack the manager, force the board to leave etc etc etc.
And because they lost in the doesn't matter cup - which is apparently the last straw. Although I think there have been several previous 'last straws' over the last few years :)
wonder if theyve collated enough last straws to constitute a straw poll? ;)

Back
Top Bottom