Stewart Donald anyone.....

I think there's only one stalker on here!!!

That’s good, first stage is recognising it so now you can start addressing it. You’ll fine good in no time. Next you’ll be able to say Charlie who?

Last edited:
The Dunning-Kruger philosophy is revitalizing itself on this thread pretty impressively.

It would be lovely if people could process their issues without transitioning them into an Internet forum post. Life’s too short for all the vitriol and it’s rather toxic for the more restrained majority.

Who does Dunning-Kruger play for?

43 years old and I hear about the Dunning-Kruger effect for the first and second time in the space of 8 hours. Wierd.

One for the many Sunderland followers on here.

1) We did discuss last year how important it was for them to get promoted at the first time of asking, and how much trouble they'd be in financially if they didn't. This article breaks that down pretty effectively

2) The article does at least acknowledge the unadulterated truth - even after reducing their wage bill...." taking our current numbers into account, we are not going to simply be competitive in the league, but we will have the highest available first team budget and, unlike other League One clubs, will have a host of young talent capable of supplementing the squad in the case of an injury crisis.
Being brutally honest, if we cannot get promoted with those resources being made available then that is not the fault of the club’s financial structure and planning, but the management team’s inability to create a winning side from a talented, well-paid player pool.
"

On a resource basis, they should have been promoted last year. And the same will be true this year as well.

One for the many Sunderland followers on here.

Interesting article, thanks for posting.

If I read it correctly the highest wage bill in League one is usually around 10 million. Last season Sunderland’s was an eye watering 16 million, and they still failed to get promoted.

This season their wage bill is expected to be around 12/13 million? So still @ 25% higher than the next highest.

Despite last season’s failure they should and will be favourites for the title again.

As an aside I wonder what Ipswich wage bill will be for the coming season?

They will probably get promoted this year, hard to mess up two years on the trot with that budget but can see them struggling the following year in the championship so Donald/Methven will try and jump ship quickly post promotion.

They need a Wilder but Ross doesn’t seem on his level, better human being but not as good a football manager.

It was really good in some ways that the team with such a huge budget failed to go up (some suggested that it wasn't a shoe in that they would go up even with such a huge budget).
Promotion isnt purely about money. Sure Sunderland should have gone up but Management, togetherness , team spirit is still important.
There must be serious questions about Ross.
Having said all of that, I would be very surprised if they dont go up next season (I didnt think they would go up last season)
They have the experience of L1 and will be less complacent.
They should also have a more balanced L1 team (with far more pace,)

It was really good in some ways that the team with such a huge budget failed to go up (some suggested that it wasn't a shoe in that they would go up even with such a huge budget).
Promotion isnt purely about money. Sure Sunderland should have gone up but Management, togetherness , team spirit is still important.
Having said all of that, I would be very surprised if they dont go up next season (I didnt think they would go up last season)

They’ve also had more time to offload players that probably weren’t the right fit and galvanise the club and fans again.

Having said that, I still get the feeling they may struggle again.

However they were saying right from the start that they might have a big "budget" aka wage bill but they didnt have the equivalent quality value in the squad because of the bad contracts they had inherited.

So i dont think it proves anything.

However they were saying right from the start that they might have a big "budget" aka wage bill but they didnt have the equivalent quality value in the squad because of the bad contracts they had inherited.

So i dont think it proves anything.
I'm not sure that I quite agree.
A number of clubs have come down with large budgets.
Sunderland's appeared to be head and shoulders above the Blackburn/ Wigans of the world.
Sunderland sure had done overpaid ex PL players but even taking them out they had a very large budget in League 1 (paying large fees for Wyke/ Griggs)

Back
Top Bottom