Stewart Donald anyone.....

A new Sunderland investor - thought to be US businessman Mark Campbell - has concluded a deal with Stewart Donald, where the share handover will be on June 19. (The Sun)
Also from Nixon: "There’s Far East money involved. Has been from the start. And that’s 3-4 months ago now. Campbell is the guy at front and middle of it though. "
So the club is being taken over by a front man bankrolled by money from the Far East with the existing owner staying on as a minority shareholder.
Sounds familiar!

Big analysis by the Swiss Ramble on twitter on Sunderland's finances.
Hopefully they get out of L1 this season, but getting out of the Championship will be a lot harder as there are so many owners throwing serious money at clubs in that league.

It makes you think doesn’t it that the most valuable bit of business the Ellis Short mob did was probably signing the club up for the Netflix documentary serie.

Now everyone worldwide knows about the hopeless, one paced Mackems. ‘We gotta buy them, look at those ‘best in the world’ supporters,etc etc zzz

So CM isn’t getting to cash in his shares if that story is right ? None of my business but seems odd as I thought the whole point was he got shares to get a percentage of any takeover.

So CM isn’t getting to cash in his shares if that story is right ? None of my business but seems odd as I thought the whole point was he got shares to get a percentage of any takeover.

Id guess as he didn’t put in funds he’s at no risk of losing anything, the longer he holds the more he makes without really any risk, if the new owners get a promotion or two.
Either that or the new guys have heard how he does everything from running the line, to washing the kit, and think he’s to valuable to lose.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the Twitter comment referring to SD and Charlie to Del Boy and Rodney, before it was corrected to say Charlie was more like Boycie!!!!

Funny that Sartori has left to go into politics, when one of our main investors has gone the other way, at least until the next Indonesian election.

Seen a number of tweets from Sunderlsnd fans asking if SD will repay the parachute payments that he used to buy the club with. Not sure how it works but wasn't the Daily Mail article questioning how the parachute payments were made, and if SD would profit from them?

Also, that Campbell was also looking at taking over Falkirk, and how they might become a feeder club for Sunderland! Give it a year or two, and Sunderland might be little more than their feeder club!!!

Mmm not sure why the parachute payments would be paid back.
I understand why people would ask the question but would guess that the answer is 'no'.
The Glasers at Man U took out loans to buy Man U and then repaid the loans from the profits the club made.
I am.not sure that if Tiger sold the club that he would give back the clubs transfer income he has used to pay back DE.

Seen a number of tweets from Sunderlsnd fans asking if SD will repay the parachute payments that he used to buy the club with. Not sure how it works but wasn't the Daily Mail article questioning how the parachute payments were made, and if SD would profit from them?

Also, that Campbell was also looking at taking over Falkirk, and how they might become a feeder club for Sunderland! Give it a year or two, and Sunderland might be little more than their feeder club!!!

If only they listened to their Chairman's podcast, they would get all of the answers - but I guess it's easier and more fun to troll on Twitter!

If only they listened to their Chairman's podcast, they would get all of the answers - but I guess it's easier and more fun to troll on Twitter!

It depends how much you trust what is said in the podcast or other statements from the club.

For example, what legal action has been taken against the Daily Mail? SD said that they were suing them for misrepresenting the facts about the academy status and how the club was financed, but in fact no such action has yet been taken.

The comments by Lyle Taylor about his shoddy treatment were dismissed out of hand, and you implied that The Sun lied. Yet, many would look at what he had to gain from talking about his experience with SD and the board. Lyle turned down a better financial offer, at potentially a much larger club and therefore you would expect there to be some validity in what he says.

SD stated that he was only looking for further investment, that he would continue to hold a significant stake in Sunderland, that he was there for the long term etc. Yet, at the same time he was already finalising the buy out of 3/4 of the club.

If these were the words of Tiger or our board members, they'd be ripped apart on here. You've only got to look at the way every word about a potential new stadium has been pulled at by those who have little faith and those like me who lap it up.

Trolling, questioning, debating etc happens on every platform. Moaning about it and threatening to sue anyone you disagree with makes you sound like Trump!!

Id guess as he didn’t put in funds he’s at no risk of losing anything, the longer he holds the more he makes without really any risk, if the new owners get a promotion or two.
Either that or the new guys have heard how he does everything from running the line, to washing the kit, and think he’s to valuable to lose.

Well if he got shares for free, I think that is classed as income? And he’ll have to pay income tax on the value of the shares at the time he was gifted them? Someone feel free to correct me though.

Well if he got shares for free, I think that is classed as income? And he’ll have to pay income tax on the value of the shares at the time he was gifted them? Someone feel free to correct me though.
Only if they ever paid a dividend (unlikely), would that be classed as income. However, capital gains tax will be due on any profit made at the time of sale.

• React
Reactions: m
Only if they ever paid a dividend (unlikely), would that be classed as income. However, capital gains tax will be due on any profit made at the time of sale.

My understanding is he would be liable for tax. He provided a service(brokering), and was paid in shares. Those shares have a value and on the value of that income he must pay tax (same situation as if he was paid in cash).

My understanding is he would be liable for tax. He provided a service(brokering), and was paid in shares. Those shares have a value and on the value of that income he must pay tax (same situation as if he was paid in cash).
Like I said, he will be liable to pay Capital Gains Tax on any profit he makes at the time he sells his shares. If he acquired the shares for free and sold them for say £1m, he will have to pay CG tax at his marginal rate on £1m.
Shares are deemed a capital asset, not income so this is not income tax.

Token skinny bloke , whats James Corden doing in Sunderland, has Charlie signed him for £5m ???

Im not sure u can class a 46 page thread as “the odd post”

Stewart is a genuine open and honest bloke and seems well liked, but charlie not so much.

As for comparing the two owners, well who knows i bet our finish in relation to our budget was a dam sight better than theirs. Both owners used future fees to buy the club. One owner is desperately searching for investment as apparently sartori is leaving and the costs are rising, the other has convinced 4 billionaires to get involved. 1 club is set to lose its academy category rating, the other is close to stepping up a level due to investment. Tiger was left a huge amount of s**t by darryl, some of which hes still dealing with, for all the good he did in the promotion year, he did an awful amount of damage in the last year as well, everything that could be cut, was, everything that could be clawed back was. Is tiger perfect , maybe not, but i think there are some very good signs that maybe it was just a much harder year dealing with the crap left him and that this season we can see what hes really about.

Great post,

What I would like is for OUFC board now they are all in place to provide a consolidated statement outlining what their expectation are for the immediate and long term future of our club. I would like this published and signed off by all the board as a mission statement before the start of this up coming season, I am certain that if this was put in place and adhered to the support base would be significantly higher.

I do not think this is too much to ask, and supporters will then have some confidence knowing that everyone is on the same page.

Back
Top Bottom