Stewart Donald anyone.....

If there really is a development opportunity that involves the ground, why would the current club owners involve Mr Donald?

I thought I read that SD said he wouldn’t but OUFC because the stadium situation makes it unviable? I would love to see him back in his spiritual home but he has to much financial acumen I suspect to see it happen.
I’m also very interested to watch the 2nd season of the Sunderland documentary to see how a certain other individual comes out of it, has he got them single handedly promoted or will he be in the background shaking his head about it all?
As for Sartorial will he be the Sunderland Thorir or Abramovich? For me it’s put his “I could have taken you on a voyage” statement in an interesting context.
At present it looks like Sunderland will need to participate in the play off lottery which can’t have been foreseen when purchasing Will Greig and as others have stated that would scare the bejesus out of me if I was SD.

With Sunderland bottling the checkatrade final and likely needing to rely on the playoffs (Pompey and Charlton look the form teams right now), they could be looking at another year in league 1 with wages bills through the roof and a fraction of the parachute payment from this year.

The way things are going it's more likely that Tiger will sell us for a profit and buy Sunderland rather than the other way around!!

With Sunderland bottling the checkatrade final and likely needing to rely on the playoffs (Pompey and Charlton look the form teams right now), they could be looking at another year in league 1 with wages bills through the roof and a fraction of the parachute payment from this year.

The way things are going it's more likely that Tiger will sell us for a profit and buy Sunderland rather than the other way around!!

The parachute payments are a bit irrelevant this season as well as weren't they going to the previous owner as his price for Donald & co buying the club?

The parachute payments are a bit irrelevant this season as well as weren't they going to the previous owner as his price for Donald & co buying the club?

First I've heard of that.....might explain why they didn't splash the cash even more than they did.

But surely the big problem for Sunderland is that if they don't go up this season - then even if they do get promoted next year, they'll then be facing the Championship without any parachute payments, whilst up to nine of their opponents will be receiving them. To stay financially competitive in that league, they would then likely have to run at a substantial loss.

Also worth noting that they sold players over this past summer for more than 25 million.....now they have a squad that's more made up of competent Championship/League One pros, it's hard to imagine that that is repeatable.

It doesn't look like a financially lucrative situation to me, so if someone else is willing to buy the club and make him a small profit, might be a sensible idea to do so!

?

Mmm. Are not parachute payments there for a reason, help the financial transition to a lower league with lesser financial benefits but still carrying the majority of a more expensive squad from the previous season, if the parachute payments are being used to guarantee financing the club purchase, money will still have to be found to fill the financial void left, there has been some quite large bills found since the takeover and they have to be accounted for as well.
Did I read that santori put in £3m for 10% of SAFC, that looks a good deal for him and a drop in the ocean for the club.

First I've heard of that.....might explain why they didn't splash the cash even more than they did.

But surely the big problem for Sunderland is that if they don't go up this season - then even if they do get promoted next year, they'll then be facing the Championship without any parachute payments, whilst up to nine of their opponents will be receiving them. To stay financially competitive in that league, they would then likely have to run at a substantial loss.

Also worth noting that they sold players over this past summer for more than 25 million.....now they have a squad that's more made up of competent Championship/League One pros, it's hard to imagine that that is repeatable.

It doesn't look like a financially lucrative situation to me, so if someone else is willing to buy the club and make him a small profit, might be a sensible idea to do so!
What do you not understand?
Your statement: "The way things are going it's more likely that Tiger will sell us for a profit and buy Sunderland rather than the other way around!!"

Tiger and his backers are pouring money into a black hole called OUFC Ltd, and long may it continue. A business with no assets, and losing a 35K+ per week.

Sunderland are a totally different business model and business case. You seem to want SD and CM fail. I dont. I wish them all the best. Good to see Oxford Utd and Oxfordshire people succeed. Inspirational even.

Lastly, a lack of parahcute payments hasnt held back Norwich, Sheff Utd, Leeds, Derby etc...it appears to me the payments are to honour the contracts of the relegated clubs EPL players.

Mmm. Are not parachute payments there for a reason, help the financial transition to a lower league with lesser financial benefits but still carrying the majority of a more expensive squad from the previous season, if the parachute payments are being used to guarantee financing the club purchase, money will still have to be found to fill the financial void left, there has been some quite large bills found since the takeover and they have to be accounted for as well.
Did I read that santori put in £3m for 10% of SAFC, that looks a good deal for him and a drop in the ocean for the club.

The same could be said for financing a club purchase using that club's confirmed future transfer payments for particular ex players.

Your statement: "The way things are going it's more likely that Tiger will sell us for a profit and buy Sunderland rather than the other way around!!"

Tiger and his backers are pouring money into a black hole called OUFC Ltd, and long may it continue. A business with no assets, and losing a 35K+ per week.

Sunderland are a totally different business model and business case. You seem to want SD and CM fail. I dont. I wish them all the best. Good to see Oxford Utd and Oxfordshire people succeed. Inspirational even.

Lastly, a lack of parahcute payments hasnt held back Norwich, Sheff Utd, Leeds, Derby etc...it appears to me the payments are to honour the contracts of the relegated clubs EPL players.

Firstly, I really don't care for Sunderland. However, it is always good to see clubs who think that they're too big for our league struggle. Just like Portsmouth when they expected to P**s all over league 2, and we beat them 4-1 at their place on the opening day.

As for my post, it was with a massive pinch of salt which you clearly didn't get.

However, we've got a team that is flying at the moment and could be a real force to be reckoned with next season if we add wisely. Sunderland have been in freefall for years and despite having a budget 4 times higher than anyone else in the league are going to need to rely on the playoffs at this rate. If they are unsuccessful and find themselves in league 1 next year they will probably have to make significant cuts to their budget. Players could go, and next season could see them slip further down.

Potentially it could be us at the top of the league and Sunderland in mid table. Hypothetically, our stock would rise and theirs would drop further. Hence my point!!

As for Norwich, Leeds, Derby etc, look at how much they're spending to get up? Do you think SD and Chaz have deep enough pockets to fund this kind of spending? Good luck if they have, but reading between the lines I think they've bitten off more than they can chew.

The same could be said for financing a club purchase using that club's confirmed future transfer payments for particular ex players.
Of coarse, but you suggested SAFC parachute payments had no relevance this season because they had to be used to guarantee the club purchase, Football is just a financial merry go round for most owners and try to offload for a profit at the end.

I thought it was £2m for 10% so an even better deal.

Wasn’t it the EFL who insisted that they would only ratify the takeover if the new club owners guaranteed the parachute payment money to buy the club.

Scotchegg has already touched on this but.....

Norwich actually still get parachute payments (it doesn't necessarily feel like it, but they were only relegated from the Prem three years ago).
Derby make a big loss most every year, and currently Steve Gibson is trying to get the EFL to investigate them for ignoring sustainability rules.
Leeds' owner has apparently been pumping 15m of his own money into the club on an annual basis to keep them competitive.

Championship clubs spend silly money on wages nowadays. There's only one team, really, that's managed to defy the financial odds and compete at the top of the Championship without losing a boatload - and that's Sheffield United. When you look closely at the details, the job Chippy has done there really is extraordinary.

Unless Sunderland can find a similar over-performing manager, then it will be a struggle financially for them back in the Championship. Unless they get there immediately whilst they're still receiving the Premier League's money.

good
Scotchegg has already touched on this but.....

Norwich actually still get parachute payments (it doesn't necessarily feel like it, but they were only relegated from the Prem three years ago).
Derby make a big loss most every year, and currently Steve Gibson is trying to get the EFL to investigate them for ignoring sustainability rules.
Leeds' owner has apparently been pumping 15m of his own money into the club on an annual basis to keep them competitive.

Championship clubs spend silly money on wages nowadays. There's only one team, really, that's managed to defy the financial odds and compete at the top of the Championship without losing a boatload - and that's Sheffield United. When you look closely at the details, the job Chippy has done there really is extraordinary.

Unless Sunderland can find a similar over-performing manager, then it will be a struggle financially for them back in the Championship. Unless they get there immediately whilst they're still receiving the Premier League's money.
[/QUOT
Firstly, I really don't care for Sunderland. However, it is always good to see clubs who think that they're too big for our league struggle. Just like Portsmouth when they expected to P**s all over league 2, and we beat them 4-1 at their place on the opening day.

As for my post, it was with a massive pinch of salt which you clearly didn't get.

However, we've got a team that is flying at the moment and could be a real force to be reckoned with next season if we add wisely. Sunderland have been in freefall for years and despite having a budget 4 times higher than anyone else in the league are going to need to rely on the playoffs at this rate. If they are unsuccessful and find themselves in league 1 next year they will probably have to make significant cuts to their budget. Players could go, and next season could see them slip further down.

Potentially it could be us at the top of the league and Sunderland in mid table. Hypothetically, our stock would rise and theirs would drop further. Hence my point!!

As for Norwich, Leeds, Derby etc, look at how much they're spending to get up? Do you think SD and Chaz have deep enough pockets to fund this kind of spending? Good luck if they have, but reading between the lines I think they've bitten off more than they can chew.

I think you are getting a touch carried away with our end of season run of form. Lots can, and probably will change in the summer and a very different OUFC squad will be starting 19/20. I hope better but with off field cash flow problems I am not convinced.

I have no idea ref SD and CM (not Chaz) financial resources, will probably need huge cash injection in the Championship/rich investor to match over teams but you obviously dont need parachute payments.

Still I personally want Oxfordshire people to succeed on nation stage. You dont. I find that sad. oh well. onwards and upwards! :)

Back
Top Bottom