General Stewards change in approach?

Sarge

God like member
Seen a few rumblings ( well more than a few tbh) about stewards in the East stand insisting that OUFC fans at the back of the stand sat down at tues nights cup match? .... speculative rumours abounding that anyone standing up will be chucked out at the next home game (V Burton on tues night) ?

1) is there any substance to the claims re the cup game V Posh, regarding stewards attempting to enforce sitting down at the back of the East stand?

2) anyone know if the policy is going to become ridiculously heavy handed at the next home game?

Isnt there the Oxrails section in the East stand, for those who wish to stand and watch the game?

Due to various sections of the ground being shut on tuesday night, I ended up about halfway back in East stand ... have to say I didnt notice/ wasnt aware of any steward intervention*,... though as I was watching what was happening on the pitch, & dont have eyes in the back of my head. its unlikely I would have , unless it all got really out of hand

* that said just before Brannagan scored there were a number of senior stewards in front of the East stand frantically gesturing to stewards towards the back of the East stand- being no expert in sign language, I wasnt certain what the gestures meant, besides I was watching the game - the 5 mins added on.... there did seem to be a large steward presence at the front of the East stand on the run in to the final whistle, (presumably to halt any potential pitch invasion- standard practice at a guess)

Anyone know if there is any substance to the claims re change in approach from stewards in East stand, or is it just a(nother) storm on social media?

There wasn't any steward intervention in the East Stand in the League game that I know of and I stood all game.

There wasn't any steward intervention in the East Stand in the League game.
glad to hear it ...as its all been pretty decent since Mr Mixter departed... just a storm on social media then!

I stand row U in the east stand and stood all game unchallenged for the league game.

I wasn’t asked to sit down during the cup tie but did as so many behind me were sat and didn’t want to impede their view and the atmosphere wasn’t up to much so didn’t mind sitting.

Whether they had been asked or not, I’m unsure, but for any league game I wouldn’t be happy being asked to sit down and would probably question the stewards as to why I have to sit. I’m aware of the official rules but everyone knows the back few rows of the East Stand, have always stood up. Long may this continue or the atmosphere may diminish further.

I would guess that it's nothing more than early season enthusiasm from the stewards. Lots of new stewards getting told how important it is that everyone sits down, doesn't swear etc. After a few games they realise that it is unmanageable and everyone calms down. Can't see it becoming an issue.

Seen a few rumblings ( well more than a few tbh) about stewards in the East stand insisting that OUFC fans at the back of the stand sat down at tues nights cup match? .... speculative rumours abounding that anyone standing up will be chucked out at the next home game (V Burton on tues night) ?

1) is there any substance to the claims re the cup game V Posh, regarding stewards attempting to enforce sitting down at the back of the East stand?

2) anyone know if the policy is going to become ridiculously heavy handed at the next home game?

Isnt there the Oxrails section in the East stand, for those who wish to stand and watch the game?

Due to various sections of the ground being shut on tuesday night, I ended up about halfway back in East stand ... have to say I didnt notice/ wasnt aware of any steward intervention*,... though as I was watching what was happening on the pitch, & dont have eyes in the back of my head. its unlikely I would have , unless it all got really out of hand

* that said just before Brannagan scored there were a number of senior stewards in front of the East stand frantically gesturing to stewards towards the back of the East stand- being no expert in sign language, I wasnt certain what the gestures meant, besides I was watching the game - the 5 mins added on.... there did seem to be a large steward presence at the front of the East stand on the run in to the final whistle, (presumably to halt any potential pitch invasion- standard practice at a guess)

Anyone know if there is any substance to the claims re change in approach from stewards in East stand, or is it just a(nother) storm on social media?
A steward came and asked us to sit down (back on centre aisle) and said he had been told by the stand manager to ask people to sit down. He went on to speak to a few others before giving up. He was very apologetic and clearly didn't want to do it. Nothing further seemed to happen after that.

Re the gestures at the end, the senior steward does normally go around before the end of the game and call the stewards forward to the pitch perimeter.

Stewards were asking fans on the back row of the North stand to sit down.

• React
Reactions: m
I would guess as our safety certificate dictates everyone should be seated the club has to show some kind of effort to enforce it whether they want to or not. Obviously with the exception of the railed section courtesy of the previously mentioned and much maligned (rightly or not i have no idea) Ian Mixter.

I would guess as our safety certificate dictates everyone should be seated the club has to show some kind of effort to enforce it whether they want to or not. Obviously with the exception of the railed section courtesy of the previously mentioned and much maligned (rightly or not i have no idea) Ian Mixter.
They were not asking away fans to sit, or East Stand though.

it's obvious isn't it !!!! the stewards are ITK and were aware Brannagan was about to score :)))))

I can confirm this as I was asked to sit down. Discussion with the steward said the orders were coming from the control box and that "if we didn't sit down we should be prepared for whatever happened".

Never been asked to sit down before.

It was clear that it wasn't a case of over-zealous stewarding but a directive from elsewhere.

In the SSU we had a new steward who wore a massive cowboy hat and wandered in and around the view all the game last Saturday, really annoying, so I emailed the club to ask him to leave the hat and possibly his horse at home and stand a little back so we can see the touch line and dugouts.

It’s not as if we’re standing or young noisy boys, were old farts,

How arbitrary and pointless is this?

The stewards in the East Stand seemed very "keen" to find wrongdoers on Saturday, the worst they could find was a lad drinking beer but they weren't too overzealous.

Shame if the stewards continue to be jobsworths, the ground really misses the colour the ultras brought.

In the SSU we had a new steward who wore a massive cowboy hat and wandered in and around the view all the game last Saturday, really annoying, so I emailed the club to ask him to leave the hat and possibly his horse at home and stand a little back so we can see the touch line and dugouts.

It’s not as if we’re standing or young noisy boys, were old farts,
A cowboy hat, What's he wearing next home game?

Not everything has to be done to the complete letter of the law. I thought there was something called common sense...
i suppose it depends on how much leeway is being given by the higher licensing authorities. If they are cracking down then that only gets passed on down the chain. If that is the case, communication would be sensible though rather than just sending stewards in to deal with it.

Back
Top Bottom