Current Player #42 Steve Seddon

Nice shout out just now on BBC by Steve Cram when commentating on Zak Seddon's 3000m steeplechase. He said Zak's brother Steve had just signed for us. Crammie is a mega black cats fan

Got no wish to dig him out, as it’s not like he played particularly badly today, but after a few months, has anyone else been slightly underwhelmed by Seddon?
He certainly doesn’t look anything special, mind you Long was pretty woeful today too.

Both fullbacks were given a serious run around today, got pulled out of position, I’m generally not convinced by our back four atm. Sam Long though looks seriously off the pace since his return from COVID.

He has been disappointing recently after a strong start. His decision making seems to be off at the moment. He often goes charging up the pitch to press his opponent only to leave acres of space in behind. If he’s going to go he needs to make sure he gets the ball or at least halts the attack otherwise it leaves us exposed.

It’s a good job we got another LB in the summer to provide competition.

Many said it could come back to bite us in the a**e with lack of investment in our defence, let’s hope it doesn’t prove correct!

Harsh to dig him out, Ruffles made plenty of mistakes the Blackpool game alone 2 or 3.

Ruffels had an absolute mare against Blackpool - but other than that, he was generally as solid as they come.
He struggled against really top class wingers (Wilks from Hull is the one that immediately springs to mind) but given that you can count the number of those in League One on one hand, it wasn't exactly a terminal issue.

I wasn't expecting to miss him this season, but unfortunately we do.

Seddon is better going forwards with the ball at his feet, but I actually don't think his defensive positional sense is as good as Ruffels, and he's definitely not as good in the air in either box. He's not a bad player by any means, but after the Cambridge game, I thought we'd upgraded substantially at LB. After a quarter of the season is in the books......I now actually think he's a slight downgrade.

And of course we have literally zero cover, so either he has to play every game, or we have to play someone else severely out of position.

Ruffels had poor last couple of games but was generally Mr Consistent season after season, as well as being a scorer of numerous important goals. I think a few people got too worked up about him wanting a new challenge before it’s too late and started to rewrite history in a flap. He played 50+ games every single year and you could count the number of poor games each campaign on one hand. He also scored seven goals last season without being a penalty or set piece taker, which is ridiculous for a full back at any level. It was always going to be difficult to replace him. Especially with those cheek bones.

Seddon is still a young guy who is in the process of settling down for the first time. He’s been bounced around on loan constantly for the last three years and this is the first time he’s known where he will be beyond the next few months. Give it another month or two and hopefully he will develop some real consistency. He’ll certainly need to stay fit for the entire season whatever happens.

Ruffels had poor last couple of games but was generally Mr Consistent season after season, as well as being a scorer of numerous important goals. I think a few people got too worked up about him wanting a new challenge before it’s too late and started to rewrite history in a flap. He played 50+ games every single year and you could count the number of poor games each campaign on one hand. He also scored seven goals last season without being a penalty or set piece taker, which is ridiculous for a full back at any level. It was always going to be difficult to replace him. Especially with those cheek bones.

Seddon is still a young guy who is in the process of settling down for the first time. He’s been bounced around on loan constantly for the last three years and this is the first time he’s known where he will be beyond the next few months. Give it another month or two and hopefully he will develop some real consistency. He’ll certainly need to stay fit for the entire season whatever happens.
Yes he was and yes he did

Back
Top Bottom