Steve Obika

I actually reckon he will come good and have a half decent season. Lets get behind every player now and push forward together

• React
Reactions: MJB
Absolute waste of space on Tuesday. How he stays on the pitch I don’t know. Every time he gets the ball he gives it away. His touch and hold up play is non existent. Never even looked like scoring or even winning a header! As one of the callers said on Radio Oxford we’re playing with 10 men with him on the pitch.
It worries me that Robinson prefers him to any of our senior strikers (well Smith and Mackie).
I would rather see an u23 battle his guts out to no avail than this poor excuse for a player.

I know I’m setting myself up for a massive whoosh here but.. Steve...?

I would guess it's an unfunny dig relating him to Steve Anthrobus, who was a far, far worse player than Obika. Anthrobus was a pathetic example of a footballer

I would guess it's an unfunny dig relating him to Steve Anthrobus, who was a far, far worse player than Obika. Anthrobus was a pathetic example of a footballer

Steve Anthrobus was nominated as Shrewsbury's 'Cult Hero' in 2003. He was a winger by trade back then but he arrived at us as a number 9. I don't think I've seen a player as slow as the 'Bus. He really was dreadful.

As for Obika, I said to a mate at the Wycombe game ‘Obika looks like he should be good at everything, but he’s good at nothing’. He’s not quick, can’t jump or win headers, doesn’t have a powerful shot on him, struggles to hold the ball up and needs three touches to bring a ball under control.

He tries, bless him, and for that he’ll be largely forgotten for us in the coming years rather than entering any ‘World ever OUFC player’ debates, but that’s not good enough in our predicament. We need quality and effort and Obika only musters one of those attributes.

What’s strange about him is that MApp identified him as a player for our club. I thought MApp omitted losers with only relegations on their CV? Then again, MApp’s record with strikers was significantly worse than his record with goalkeepers, midfielders, defenders and wingers.

He was a footballer? I never realised

I find it somewhat ironic that Obika is staying fit (and in the team) when we could really do with giving Smith a run of games.

Back
Top Bottom