Steve Obika

Scoring goals pre season against part time sides and some were thinking he's turned a corner..

I would like nothing better than to see him come good, but I just can't see it and he lacks the will or the quality!

I'd just like to say every time I see this thread title I think of anti-apartheid campaigner Steve Niko which then makes me think of the Simple Minds song.

Obika was not good. But the rest of the team was also not present. Why? Because Barnsley had hell of a team who basically are a Championship team. We would never have given a decent showing against that team even if the match was still going.

It's easy to find scapegoats but let's not forget the high level of the opposition.

Scapegoat or not, Obika just rarely has a good game and it gets noticed by most people. Of course we all want him to succeed.

Whilst I don’t agree with scapegoating Obika for yesterday’s performance (as I said in my player ratings, until Hall came on he was the only player who looked remotely threatening) the stark facts are that he missed decent chances at 0-0, 1-0 and 2-0.

All of which could’ve changed the game, two of which were pretty simple chances. In a game like that it is critical that if you get a chance you take it. As KR said in his interview - goalscorers help mask bad performances.

The reality is his chance conversion rate is poor. To miss THREE chances at critical times in a game like that makes him an easy target. He wasn’t the reason we lost. But he could’ve changed things and he didn’t - multiple times over.

Obika was not good. But the rest of the team was also not present. Why? Because Barnsley had hell of a team who basically are a Championship team. We would never have given a decent showing against that team even if the match was still going.

It's easy to find scapegoats but let's not forget the high level of the opposition.

Sorry Malc but I don’t buy that. Yes the quality of the opposition was high. Championship relegation quality. If we have any ambition of going up this year, which KR and Tiger have stated then the team they’ve put together is simply not good enough. I would of at least thought we’d have given them a game but it was men against boys.

Whilst I don’t agree with scapegoating Obika for yesterday’s performance (as I said in my player ratings, until Hall came on he was the only player who looked remotely threatening) the stark facts are that he missed decent chances at 0-0, 1-0 and 2-0.

All of which could’ve changed the game, two of which were pretty simple chances. In a game like that it is critical that if you get a chance you take it. As KR said in his interview - goalscorers help mask bad performances.

The reality is his chance conversion rate is poor. To miss THREE chances at critical times in a game like that makes him an easy target. He wasn’t the reason we lost. But he could’ve changed things and he didn’t - multiple times over.

He was shite, but I don’t remember him having 3 clear cut chances? I remember the back pass he did with his tame right footed shot and the time he fell over the ball when he got goal side of his man, but not sure about the 3rd?

We were never going to beat Barnsley yesterday no matter what we did. The whole team needed to grow another 2 or 3 inches, have more pace and strength to have given us any chance. Like nyself and many others have said it was men verses boys and that wasn’t going to change as we’re stuck with what we’ve got. You could clearly see our players didn’t know what hit them and reality really set in!

He was shite, but I don’t remember him having 3 clear cut chances? I remember the back pass he did with his tame right footed shot and the time he fell over the ball when he got goal side of his man, but not sure about the 3rd?
At 0-0 he had acres of space in the area as a looping ball dropped perfectly. He could've and probably should've headed it, but he went for a side foot volley and completely missed it. Can't believe it isn't even on the extended 10-minute highlights to be honest, it was comfortably the best chance we had.

At 0-0 he had acres of space in the area as a looping ball dropped perfectly. He could've and probably should've headed it, but he went for a side foot volley and completely missed it. Can't believe it isn't even on the extended 10-minute highlights to be honest, it was comfortably the best chance we had.

Oh yeah!

Sorry Malc but I don’t buy that. Yes the quality of the opposition was high. Championship relegation quality. If we have any ambition of going up this year, which KR and Tiger have stated then the team they’ve put together is simply not good enough. I would of at least thought we’d have given them a game but it was men against boys.

Their team was almost unchanged from last season. They were going to outplay any L1 team on the first day of the season by some margin, by virtue of knowing the system and their teammates.

• React
Reactions: Ian
Their team was almost unchanged from last season. They were going to outplay any L1 team on the first day of the season by some margin, by virtue of knowing the system and their teammates.
We played them at Wembley when they were a league above us and lost by one goal. They are now in the same league and we lose by 4! They wererelegated last year for a reason. We were just s**t

We played them at Wembley when they were a league above us and lost by one goal. They are now in the same league and we lose by 4! They wererelegated last year for a reason. We were just s**t

Wigan and Blackburn were relegated for a reason too, both stormed this league last season it is no coincidence that Barnsley trounced us yesterday, Wigan and Blackburn did it last season, Bolton hammered us at home the season before (I am aware we managed a win at their place). Take a look at the teams we've played in this division who have come down, lost to barnsley yesterday, 0 wins last season against teams who were relegated, 1 draw and 5 losses. Season before 3 wins, 2 draws 1 loss (much better I know). There is no denying that teams coming down are better quality than pretty much all the teams already in the league
Burton may not be as strong and have been punching above for a while now and credit to them for getting there. After all that my point is expect barnsley and sunderland to be promoted, don't judge the team/players/season on that performance. Fleetwood will be a better task to judge on.

I'd just like to say every time I see this thread title I think of anti-apartheid campaigner Steve Niko which then makes me think of the Simple Minds song.
Steve Nicol was anti-apartheid leader?! Wow! :)

You can bang on about backing players and supporting the team but it will never change the fact that this lad isn’t good enough.

Watched a replay of the famous 5 - 5 cup second leg Scum against Sheff U last night on EFL Highlights & Obika scores a wonder goal - just where has he gone wrong? I think he needs a bit of physcotherapy!!

Back
Top Bottom