Matches Standard of Refereeing

Were you actually at the game? The referee was unremittingly biased for most of the match. The crowd got to him. Everyone could see that. It was painful to watch. The worst refereeing I have ever seen in 50 years plus as a spectator - barring possibly the Joe Ross ‘experience’ versus Scunthorpe.

Almost enough to make him lose his licence.

Were you actually at the game? The referee was unremittingly biased for most of the match. The crowd got to him. Everyone could see that. It was painful to watch. The worst refereeing I have ever seen in 50 years plus as a spectator - barring possibly the Joe Ross ‘experience’ versus Scunthorpe.

I agree as in my original post.
It reminded me of when I managed a boys team for 6 years. When you knew at an away game one of their Dads (or manager) would ref the game and were almost to a man biased, mine included. As I said it was the small things that went on not just major decisions that made it blindingly obvious. Crowd and occasion pressure were probably the reason.

They have this in the prem though and it still don't stop slating of officials...football is a simple game with Laws that apply to all. how many times have we heard " he could have let that go" etc because it's a champions league or World Cup final or because it's super bloody sunday
don't send off Stevie G in the first minute because it's a merseyside derby as that might spoil it for those sat at home when in reality it is all very simple Let the officials do their job and players managers etc accept their decision and get on with the game.

I don't judge officials by what a commentator thinks.

I don't disagree with your point but investment from the grassroots up in training (and fitness as they get progressively higher) will over the long term improve standards. The big thing for me is the support systems/network for Refs especially with the lack of respect as it really isn't difficult to organise, at the least, official social media groups and meet ups.

Also, one thing I would add is that they should form refereeing teams (that can rotate roles within the group) that operate together for at least the season (if not longer depending on retirements/promotions etc). This way the officials get used to each other, can learn each others' strengths & weaknesses and learn to trust each others decision making.

Last edited:

Apologies, that is your opinion.
I would rate him as poor, playing to the crowd and making some poor decisions.
However we all see it differently.... same game from their views....

Various SAFC Forums.....
"slow substitutions",
"niggly fouls unpunished",
"dirty bastards, that deserved a booking "
"their goal was missed offside call.. made up with a bad PK call.. sounds fair! "
"They continue to waste time, ball out the manager asks the ball boy to pass it to him before the player, ref needs to get a grip"

Lets see if he carries on referring ........ he will.

I don't judge officials by what a commentator thinks.

I don't disagree with your point but investment from the grassroots up in training (and fitness as they get progressively higher) will over the long term improve standards. The big thing for me is the support systems/network for Refs especially with the lack of respect as it really isn't difficult to organise, at the least, official social media groups and meet ups.

Also, one thing I would add is that they should form refereeing teams (that can rotate roles within the group) that operate together for at least the season (if not longer depending on retirements/promotions etc). This way the officials get used to each other, can learn each others' strengths & weaknesses and learn to trust each others decision making.
good post @Marked Ox .... group/team of officials operating together is a good idea in principle

Investing in officials will ultimately make it easier for them to go full time and allow a pool of officials to develop in the week away from games as a collective unit - minimising the interpretations of rules.

Perhaps even allowing local professional refs partner with their local professional team could help - they will never get to Ref them in games anwyay, but use it as a way to communicate, to develop, to help players in training games be officiated by the rukes, etc. For too long it's been a 'Us and Them' mentality, rather than 'We' mentality.

The problem is the lack of better Refs coming up to be able to replace those Refs or stop them getting promoted in the 1st place. There just aren't enough officials coming through as the number of officials in grassroots and low level non-league football is falling through a number of reasons, but the big one that isn't going away is the verbal and physical abuse they get.

This is the core, underlying reason.

I know three people who started on the refereeing ladder and all gave it up for the same reason - physical and verbal assault at Sunday league and pub team games.

And this was all more than twenty years ago.

The result now is that there are so few that have stuck it out that the quality is bound to drop.

Unfortunately I don't know what the solution is. :(

This is the core, underlying reason.

I know three people who started on the refereeing ladder and all gave it up for the same reason - physical and verbal assault at Sunday league and pub team games.

And this was all more than twenty years ago.

The result now is that there are so few that have stuck it out that the quality is bound to drop.

Unfortunately I don't know what the solution is. :(

I gave it up because of the abuse as it just got so boring, to the point I started giving it back as bookings etc made no difference. One forward who had been giving lip from the opening minute missed a 1-on-1, so I suggested that my Nan could have scored that and every time he screwed up I asked him if he had ever played football before. This was the point I quit with that being my last game.

Referees have always come in for stick,don't forget the further you go down the pyramid the worse the standard of play becomes and the standard of refs becomes worse.We had some absolute shockers in the Conference and I think that us being the " big club" in that league went against us especially away from home.
What I would like to see is a camera somehow fitted onto the refs shirt and then we all get to see what he sees in real time, then we can complain or praise.

We've been appointed Michael Salisbury for the Peterborough game - he gave two red cards on Saturday and Cheltenham fans have been far from complementary so should be an interesting start to Ref Watch

they already have teams in the prem, the ref and 2 assistants are generally together for matches....cannot speak about lower down

Unless it has changed recently they don't in the Football League.

We've been appointed Michael Salisbury for the Peterborough game - he gave two red cards on Saturday and Cheltenham fans have been far from complementary so should be an interesting start to Ref Watch

This is the same ref that took BOTH of our games verses Luton last season, where he certainly did us no favours in either game.

Doesn't fill me with confidence for Saturday being incident free!

England has a population of over 50 million people. When you look at it like that it's surprising that the FA/PGMOL/PL/EFL can't find 46 people in the whole country who can do that job adequately.

In fairness to most officials at the higher level the replays generally prove them right and on the rare occasions they get it wrong it's very marginal particularly when you have a split second to judge it.

As for officials we get i can cope with them being bad but the most frustrating thing for me is inconsistency ie. same offence one minute is a free kick but 5 minutes later it's not or they apply different rules for different areas of the pitch.

Back
Top Bottom