Matches Standard of Refereeing

Oufcrealist

Surely this has to be looked at?
I wanted to post something on this after the Donny home game last season but calmed down the next day. But after seeing what went on Saturday I think there has to be an investigation by the FA. It's all very well having an assessor there but they just protect each other. I know that's how it is as I know one who Refs at League standard!!
The Ref on Saturday must have known in his heart that he was favouring the home team it was blindingly obvious. It wasn't just the major decisions there were many minor ones that were dubious. I honestly can't remember the last time I rated a Ref as decent in a competitive match!!

The Lino nearest was us just as bad!
How they gave the corner when Mous had shepherded it out was laughable

The Lino nearest was us just as bad!
How they gave the corner when Mous had shepherded it out was laughable
He was true, but the ref is the boss out there. Lino's now are bit part officials. 20-30 years ago the Ref always went with his Lino and hardly ever overruled him.

Judging by the comments on here and the RadOx commentary, the ref was awful. I don't subscribe to the 'he must have been nobbled' school of thought, so it can only be that he was unduly influenced by the crowd and the occasion. And that is surely down to training and lack of experience. In which case, why was he picked to officiate that particular game? The season opener at Sunderland was always going to be a pressure game (whoever they were playing) - why not assign someone with more experience? When even the home fans say the ref is a homer, you know he's had a shocker...

He was true, but the ref is the boss out there. Lino's now are bit part officials. 20-30 years ago the Ref always went with his Lino and hardly ever overruled him.
I agree, even so they should communicate with each other.

The sky is blue, grass is green and referees will continue to infuriate. It’s an extremely difficult job which I don’t envy for a second.

Yes they should talk and referees should take the time to speak to their assistants. They should be assessed and the best will be given the bigger games at higher levels.

But on the flip side almost wish they’d ban replays for big calls in games on TV. Very easy to say it’s a foul in slo-mo from multiple angles, don’t see the point in debating it. If it’s given it’s given. Get on with it. Until they start giving points, goals or compensation for bad decisions, seems a waste of everyone’s time.

"Manager Jack Ross explains why conceding first is so damaging to the Black Cats, and admits he is frustrated officials do not help his side more"
Really? REALLY? Did he actually want the ref to kick it into the net for them? He's moaning about us wasting time, I wonder what he'd be saying if they'd had a perfectly good goal disallowed, a dodgy penalty given against them and numerous baseless free kicks awarded around their box?
Still, he'll be looking for a new job soon anyway ...

The sky is blue, grass is green and referees will continue to infuriate. It’s an extremely difficult job which I don’t envy for a second.

Yes they should talk and referees should take the time to speak to their assistants. They should be assessed and the best will be given the bigger games at higher levels.

But on the flip side almost wish they’d ban replays for big calls in games on TV. Very easy to say it’s a foul in slo-mo from multiple angles, don’t see the point in debating it. If it’s given it’s given. Get on with it. Until they start giving points, goals or compensation for bad decisions, seems a waste of everyone’s time.
Fair general overview .... but, the likes of Kettle, Wright and the like are renowned for making bad decisions time and time again , Football is supposed to be entertainment, a clubs fortunes can be changed for the worse by the call of one person (who chooses to overule or ignore the assistant referees) and that really isnt right... the FA are spineless when it comes to dealing with/ reprimanding (etc) lower league officials IMO

The thing is though, that all refs get the occasional call wrong - that's just the way it is, and I for one can accept that. Nobody is perfect and refs do have a hard job. And, as the old cliche goes, you'd hope that the calls that go for you and the ones that go against you over the course of a season balance themselves out.
But when a ref is as blatantly out of his depth and easily influenced as the one on Saturday seemingly was - it's obvious that he has been promoted beyond the bounds of his competence.

Fair general overview .... but, the likes of Kettle, Wright and the like are renowned for making bad decisions time and time again , Football is supposed to be entertainment, a clubs fortunes can be changed for the worse by the call of one person (who chooses to overule or ignore the assistant referees) and that really isnt right... the FA are spineless when it comes to dealing with/ reprimanding (etc) lower league officials IMO

The problem is the lack of better Refs coming up to be able to replace those Refs or stop them getting promoted in the 1st place. There just aren't enough officials coming through as the number of officials in grassroots and low level non-league football is falling through a number of reasons, but the big one that isn't going away is the verbal and physical abuse they get.

The tv companies have brought much of the problem to the sport,they "must" have controversy and various pundits over the years have got stuck into officials who can only give decisions based on the laws and what they see..None of the officials will give decisions for the sake of it or by invention they call it as they see it. i have always said to stop tv replays but the powers that be wont do that because tv is a cash cow, what they have done instead is introduce something that they say is to help the officials when in fact all it will do is add even more controversy as much will still be down to individual interpretation.
if the players,managers over the years had not been allowed to get into the officials face and slate them at every opportunity and let them get on with the job much of it could easily have been avoided.
Think for a moment about the sly smiles or comments about "Fergie Time" that we still hear today, it's alright that we can now joke about it but it went partly towards why we have constant criticism of officials who like everyone else are only doing their job.
@Sarge you say it's meant to be entertainment and whilst i know what you mean i would suggest that's part of the problem as we now have the wrong type of entertainment along the lines of the circus.

The thing is though, that all refs get the occasional call wrong - that's just the way it is, and I for one can accept that. Nobody is perfect and refs do have a hard job. And, as the old cliche goes, you'd hope that the calls that go for you and the ones that go against you over the course of a season balance themselves out.
But when a ref is as blatantly out of his depth and easily influenced as the one on Saturday seemingly was - it's obvious that he has been promoted beyond the bounds of his competence.
The problem is the lack of better Refs coming up to be able to replace those Refs or stop them getting promoted in the 1st place. There just aren't enough officials coming through as the number of officials in grassroots and low level non-league football is falling through a number of reasons, but the big one that isn't going away is the verbal and physical abuse they get.
The tv companies have brought much of the problem to the sport,they "must" have controversy and various pundits over the years have got stuck into officials who can only give decisions based on the laws and what they see..None of the officials will give decisions for the sake of it or by invention they call it as they see it. i have always said to stop tv replays but the powers that be wont do that because tv is a cash cow, what they have done instead is introduce something that they say is to help the officials when in fact all it will do is add even more controversy as much will still be down to individual interpretation.
if the players,managers over the years had not been allowed to get into the officials face and slate them at every opportunity and let them get on with the job much of it could easily have been avoided.
Think for a moment about the sly smiles or comments about "Fergie Time" that we still hear today, it's alright that we can now joke about it but it went partly towards why we have constant criticism of officials who like everyone else are only doing their job.
@Sarge you say it's meant to be entertainment and whilst i know what you mean i would suggest that's part of the problem as we now have the wrong type of entertainment along the lines of the circus.
Agree in the main with all three ^ posts

Football should take a leaf out of the Rugby book for both protecting and supporting referee`s.

They might be garbage in our blinkered view but No ref = No game.

I despise seeing players crowding the ref and getting "in their face", needs a few straight reds and lengthy bans otherwise "respect the ref" is just lip service.

Then they might be able to get on and do their job in a more relaxed way, the best referees are the ones you never notice.

Football should take a leaf out of the Rugby book for both protecting and supporting referee`s.

I despise seeing players crowding the ref and getting "in their face", needs a few straight reds and lengthy bans otherwise "respect the ref" is just lip service.

Then they might be able to get on and do their job in a more relaxed way, the best referees are the ones you never notice.
great post ^ agree 100 %

I agree wholeheartedly. I still think they should have stuck by the 'respect' thing they started a couple of seasons ago, where only the captain was allowed to speak to the ref unless he called a player over. It's not the whole answer to the problem of poor refereeing, but making the players behave in this respect would be a good first step. As it was, things have now slid back to where they were before.

I agree wholeheartedly. I still think they should have stuck by the 'respect' thing they started a couple of seasons ago, where only the captain was allowed to speak to the ref unless he called a player over. It's not the whole answer to the problem of poor refereeing, but making the players behave in this respect would be a good first step. As it was, things have now slid back to where they were before.
as @Essexyellows posted above, dish out a few straight reds thatll stop players getting in the refs face, well, nip it in the bud at least

dissent and ungentlemanly conduct are only yellow cards though unless there's foul and abusive language, with straight reds you'd still have managers fans etc criticising.. They make yearly decisions /changes to supposedly help the game but another for this season is when the ball strikes the referee the game has to be stopped, it was always the ref was part of the game if that happened. Now they've put the ref on the spot again as he faces abuse when a sides attack has to be stopped as the ball struck the ref on the way.

Back
Top Bottom