General Stadium Disrepair

I once had a train 'enthusiast' bore me with why this would be so difficult /expensive to do.

It's only single track in both directions so you either have to seriously disrupt and slow down the main line trains or you have to build a second track into Didcot (under Steventon bridge!) or out west. Sorry to bore you all too.

Isn`t that the same issue with the Cowley branch line for our current venue?
Akin to the somewhat useless train "service" at the Ricoh that closes for an hour before and after events as it struggles to cope with the foot fall.

Isn`t that the same issue with the Cowley branch line for our current venue?
Akin to the somewhat useless train "service" at the Ricoh that closes for an hour before and after events as it struggles to cope with the foot fall.

The same. A single-track line with stations that can take 2 carriages capacity; that's about 150 people tops. Then the trains will either be held in BMW till the end of the match or have to go back to the main station.

Atletico Madrid's old ground had a dual carriageway running under a main stand. It still looked better than the concourse at the Kassam.

Aston Villa has something similar running under the newly built Trinity Rd stand.

So what your implying is that there is in fact enough room on the kassam plot to build a bigger stadium with hotels and leisure? We just need to build over the grenoble Road right?
I wasn't but.... 🤔

only under one stand, pah :) - the Amsterdam Arena has a dual carriageway running right under the middle.
newarena-02.JPG-245-1200x800.jpg

• Love
Reactions: QR
I felt compelled to check that and you are right, Junior ! Not been to Villa Park for years.

Road under the Trinity Rd stand, and the road behind the Witton Lane stand was moved (the houses on the other side of the road bought and demolished, then the road re-alligned by 3-4 metres).

Also, for ground nerds, the North Stand built in the late 70s was apparently the first to have letters spelt out in the seats.

Last edited:
Yeah but how many of these clubs have done away with the stand completely and put a car park there?

That's cool af I can just imagine something similar for us straddling St Giles in the city centre.

Old school floodlights dwarfing the dreaming spires - I can see it in my mind's eye and it's a thing of beauty.

Back
Top Bottom