General Stadium Disrepair

You seem to be arguing for the decline of United ...

I see it more that he was pointing out they were the main Oxford team back then. He's not saying they will overtake us or take any of our loyal fanbase, could they take some of the day tippers as we call them? Of course they could, start offering free tickets, cheaper tickets a better match day experience and not a wind tunnel of a stadium and there no reason why they wouldn't.

Heaven forbid that the board spend their money without consulting you first!

They aren't the ones signing up for a 20 year lease, they are signing on behalf of the club! It's all well and rosie while they are around to foot the bill but as soon as they up sticks it limits who will buy us with being tied down to a 19 plus year lease .

I see it more that he was pointing out they were the main Oxford team back then. He's not saying they will overtake us or take any of our loyal fanbase, could they take some of the day tippers as we call them? Of course they could, start offering free tickets, cheaper tickets a better match day experience and not a wind tunnel of a stadium and there no reason why they wouldn't.
Exactly that. I don't believe they will ever overtake or come close to us (sorry little bruv) but if we declined and they grew, there would be some Drift their way from the more 'casual' support. Obviously none of us lot would jump ship, but we are part of the core support.

You do realise they used to be the established Oxford club and we were the small upstarts at one point, don't you...
They held up the official change of name from Headington United to Oxford United for a while by 'complaining'to the Football League, Football Association etc too

Didnt 'City stay Amatuer (status) out of choice, when Headington United turned Professional? or is my memory getting it wrong?

They held up the official change of name from Headington United to Oxford United for a while by 'complaining'to the Football League, Football Association etc too

Didnt 'City stay Amatuer (status) out of choice, when Headington United turned Professional? or is my memory getting it wrong?
I believe there was a certain amount of snobbery from their side when we went professional.

Exactly that. I don't believe they will ever overtake or come close to us (sorry little bruv) but if we declined and they grew, there would be some Drift their way from the more 'casual' support. Obviously none of us lot would jump ship, but we are part of the core support.
I think theyโ€™d be more likely to grow if we got to the championship and put our prices up. Good luck to them but whatโ€™s the smallest place with two league teams?

They won't be going anywhere this season as NL South is null and void:

City wanted to turn professional but were blocked by Brasenose College who owned the White House Ground and held a restrictive covenant forbidding the land for being used for professional sport.

City wanted to turn professional but were blocked by Brasenose College who owned the White House Ground and held a restrictive covenant forbidding the land for being used for professional sport.
cheers for clarification @sideshowrob ..... I wasnt aware of the covenant held by Brasenose' ( ...and I briefly worked , for a couple of months prior to my apprenticeship starting at BMC very early 70s, as assistant groundsman on Brasenose College's sports ground off Abingdon road- part of which was diagonally opposite the White House Pub and White House Ground)

As an ardent Oxford United fan, I don't really care about Oxford City.

Repsect those who want to support both clubs and recognise our close relationships. Never got the love affair for supporting two clubs where one wants to try and re-establish itself. You might as well replace Oxford City and pretend you want to support Wycombe, Reading or alike.

I played at the White House Ground in the White House Shield Final for my primary school. Fond memories. Went down to the only goal of the game. But it there was VAR back then...... zzzzzzz

I think people might be getting ahead of themselves with Oxford city getting into the football league and becoming rivals. They were having a good season in a ravaged league that has been null and voided and would of still had the lottery of the play offs. Even if they had gone up they would then of had a pretty massive task of getting promoted from the conference (it will always be that to me) as the smallest club in it, it took us 4 seasons as the biggest club. They have never even played at the top level of non league football, so just getting there would be an achievement, staying there something else and pushing on pretty damn unlikely.

You might as well replace Oxford City and pretend you want to support Wycombe, Reading or alike.

No way is either following or wishing City well the same for reading/Wycombe. City represent the same city, not to mention they have a few of our players on loan or ex players plying their trade.

No way is either following or wishing City well the same for reading/Wycombe. City represent the same city, not to mention they have a few of our players on loan or ex players plying their trade.

Do you think Rangers and Celtics fans feel the same way as they both represent Glasgow?

I think people might be getting ahead of themselves with Oxford city getting into the football league and becoming rivals. They were having a good season in a ravaged league that has been null and voided and would of still had the lottery of the play offs. Even if they had gone up they would then of had a pretty massive task of getting promoted from the conference (it will always be that to me) as the smallest club in it, it took us 4 seasons as the biggest club. They have never even played at the top level of non league football, so just getting there would be an achievement, staying there something else and pushing on pretty damn unlikely.
Yes, as you say it wonโ€™t happen unless they have owners willing to throw many millions at it. But Iโ€™m just curious why they would say that is their aim, when getting into the conference and holding their own against the likes of Dagenham would be a tall order in itself. I guess itโ€™s the same as us saying we want to be in the premier league in five years.

Do you think Rangers and Celtics fans feel the same way as they both represent Glasgow?

No as they have always been rivals, the same as the Bristol clubs. We don't have a rivalry with City.

Just three things to add to this.

Firstly, there are absolutely no plans to buy the current stadium or stay at Grenoble Road long term.

Secondly, just because there is an agreement in place to sign another 20 year lease doesn't mean that it's 20 years or nothing. I'd bet that conversations have already taken place about extending for a year or 2 if a little longer was needed to complete any new build.

And finally, Niall McWilliams might have got stick for giving time frames on the fans forum but is very heavily involved in this project and I'm glad we've got him representing the clubs long term interests.

Back
Top Bottom