Squad next year

Yellowblood

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/oxford-united/kadernaechstesaison/verein/988

Looking at the contracted players for next season it is definitely clear we have taken a backward step from the crop we had under Appleton. There are some players with potential and a good age, however, with the exception of perhaps Ledson there isn’t a player that could currently step up into the championship. No matter what league we are in it needs a serious investment in a number of positions including securing Nelson and Rothwell.

What I also miss is player loyalty. Gone are the days when players would stay at a club for longer than 2 seasons, the turnover of players these days is frightening. I used to love the fact that players had a real connection to the club and supporters. I understand that in the era of player agents players are always looking for improved contracts, however, I feel it I should detrimental to the relationship between player and supporters.

Zero point talking about the squad for next year until you know what league we’re going to be in and whether our new owner can be arsed to hang around to fund £500k a year rent, especially if that team is two promotions away from making them a Championship team.

Perhaps Slippery didn't mention the rent. Life's full of surprises for the unwary, Tigger.

We're in quite a strong position to rotate the squad next season, with a few of the higher earners reaching the end of their current deals. From the current crop the following expire at the end of this season:

First Team
Scott Shearer: Keeper RELEASE
Dwight Tiendalli: Right-Back RELEASE
Ricardinho: Left-Back ACTIVE 1 YEAR-OPTION
Mike Williamson: Centre-Back RELEASE
Curtis Nelson: Centre-Back PRIORITY TO EXTEND
Aaron Martin: Centre-Back RELEASE
Joe Rothwell: Central Midfield PRIORITY TO EXTEND
Rob Hall: Right Wing PRIORITY TO EXTEND
Wes Thomas: Centre-Forward RELEASE
Agon Mehmeti: Centre-Forward RELEASE

Loans
Todd Kane: Right-Back CONTRACTED TO CFC UNTIL 2019; LOOK TO SIGN
Gino van Kessel: Right Wing RELEASE
Alex Mowatt: Central Midfield RELEASE
Isaac Buckley-Ricketts: Right Wing
Ashley Smith-Brown: Left-Back

Youth
Probably the end of the road for Long, Ashby and Roberts

All being well, this would leave us the following squad:

GK
Simon Eastwood
Jack Stevens
Manny Agboola

FULL BACKS
Todd Kane
Ricardinho
Canice Carroll

CENTRE BACKS
Curtis Nelson
Rob Dickie
John Mousinho
Charlie Raglan
Fiacre Kelleher (no idea about this guy)

CENTRE MIDS
Ryan Ledson
Josh Ruffels
Ivo Pekalski
Cameron Brannagan
Joe Rothwell
Shandon Baptiste

ATTACKING MIDFIELD/WINGERS
James Henry
Rob Hall
Malachi Napa

STRIKERS
Jon Obika
Kane Hemmings

So we'll need RB, LB, RW, LW and 2x ST as a minimum even if we sign Kane and retain the key players.

Last edited:
I think you underestimate the need for young keepers to be playing (loan) and the need for experienced heads in the camp who know they won't play a lot but offer huge amounts off the field. Back up keepers are ideal for this.

I'd keep Shearer.

If we keep those midfield players and Pekalski turns out to be alright we'll have a very tidy midfield

We're in quite a strong position to rotate the squad next season, with a few of the higher earners reaching the end of their current deals. From the current crop the following expire at the end of this season:

First Team

Loans

Youth

GK
Simon Eastwood
Jack Stevens
Manny Agboola

FULL BACKS
Todd Kane
Ricardinho
Canice Carroll

CENTRE BACKS
Curtis Nelson
Rob Dickie
John Mousinho
Charlie Raglan

CENTRE MIDS
Ryan Ledson
Josh Ruffels
Ivo Pekalski
Cameron Brannagan
Joe Rothwell
Shandon Baptiste

James Henry
Rob Hall

STRIKERS
Jon Obika
Kane Hemmings

So we'll need RB, LB, RW, LW and 2x ST as a minimum even if we sign Kane and retain the key players.
Missing Napa, who i actually believe is destined for big things. I reckon he will be a massive part of the squad next season. Especially if Faz is still within the coaching staff.

Good Summary.
I think I would keep Thomas if possible. But look to transfer list or loan out Obika and possibly Hemmings (I think he will leave anyway).

Hall and Pekalski worry me as being too injury prone. Hall could be worth a punt but we would need cover. Petalski who knows, if he doesn't make it back to play this season and prove his worth, he will be another to loan out or move on.

If we resign some of those identified we could have a good basis for a squad. What we lack and will be critical next season is a a better strike force, plus players wide in defense and attack.

A new manager should have something to work with but we will require a lot of new faces.

First Team

Loans

Youth

GK
Simon Eastwood
Jack Stevens
Manny Agboola

FULL BACKS
Todd Kane
Ricardinho
Canice Carroll

CENTRE BACKS
Curtis Nelson
Rob Dickie
John Mousinho
Charlie Raglan

CENTRE MIDS
Ryan Ledson
Josh Ruffels
Ivo Pekalski
Cameron Brannagan
Joe Rothwell
Shandon Baptiste

James Henry
Rob Hall

STRIKERS
Jon Obika
Kane Hemmings

Mousinho you would keep?

My biggest concern about next year is whether or not we’ll be able to hold onto both Nelson and Ledson, and whether or not we’ll be able to persuade Rothwell to resign.

As things currently stand, I think it’s unlikely any of them will be here next season.

Mousinho is a leader on/off the pitch, has been promoted from this league and if nothing else is adequate cover.

I think IF we manage to keep our better players it's a great basis for a L1 squad. Pace out wide and a clinical forward is missing.

I think you can add that Eastwood could be sold if the books need to be balanced a bit.

Mousinho is a leader on/off the pitch, has been promoted from this league and if nothing else is adequate cover.

I think IF we manage to keep our better players it's a great basis for a L1 squad. Pace out wide and a clinical forward is missing.
Sorry Mousinho has a habit of keeping the ball and trying to draw in the opposition sometimes it works but for me it’s a lot more than it does note work and he gets caught out.

Sorry Mousinho has a habit of keeping the ball and trying to draw in the opposition sometimes it works but for me it’s a lot more than it does note work and he gets caught out.
Mousinho has to stay, simply for his experience. Promoted 2x at Burton. Certainly over confident at times with the ball probably from his days in midfield but even if he is back up, he needs to be here.

Him,Ruffels and Henry (i believe) are the only players who have experienced promotion.

Also think team should be built around henry in the 10 next season. He is simply our best player...

Mousinho has to stay, simply for his experience. Promoted 2x at Burton. Certainly over confident at times with the ball probably from his days in midfield but even if he is back up, he needs to be here.

Him,Ruffels and Henry (i believe) are the only players who have experienced promotion.

Also think team should be built around henry in the 10 next season. He is simply our best player...

38 year old Henry won't be as good as 28 year old Henry

• React
Reactions: Ian

I agree about Henry and he has to Start on the right, if Mousinho does stay then has to be back up to Nelson and Dickie ( now that’s a partnership I want to see working ). I would lose the forwards or maybe keep Wes if not enough replacement forwards, have to try and keep Lego, Rothwell obviously Brannagan and keep Ruffs as well but whoever comes in as gaffer I hope they already have targets.

Back
Top Bottom