Squad next year

Some cheap options:

RB - Todd Kane (Chelsea, don't know how much he'd be, but hopefully not much)
LB - Greg Leigh (Bury, free) + Nathan Ralph (Woking, free)
CB - Jake Wright (Sheff Utd, free)
Winger - Jordan Graham (Wolves, free)
ST - Lyle Taylor (AFC Wimbledon, free), Eion Doyle (Preston, free), Jay Emmanuel-Thomas (QPR, free)

Would also enquire about Roofe, seems to be out of favour at Leeds, about a loan if not a permanent. Erhun Oztumer (Walsall) and Ahmed Kashi (Charlton) are two quality CMs (attacking + defensive respectively) who are both out of contract as well.
I’d agree on nearly all that bar a few.

JET is a big lazy t**t. People get annoyed with Thomas not moving

I’d rather the rumours of Moore- taylor for the centre back than wright. He’s been brilliant but is now getting on a bit, and we have seen what that has done to mous’s legs. Moore-taylor is a similar signing to Nelson, still young, club captain and one of the best defenders at that level

Be very happy with any of the other u mention

If we fail to keep Rothwell I wouldn’t be surprised if KR went in for Jake Forster-Caskey

How about players coming in? Hylton and Marriott. Wind up merchants. Night club troublemakers.

Some cheap options:

ST - Lyle Taylor (AFC Wimbledon, free), Eion Doyle (Preston, free), Jay Emmanuel-Thomas (QPR, free)

Would also enquire about Roofe, seems to be out of favour at Leeds, about a loan if not a permanent. Erhun Oztumer (Walsall) and Ahmed Kashi (Charlton) are two quality CMs (attacking + defensive respectively) who are both out of contract as well.
Roofe isn't out of favor. He's injured and has 9 league goals this season but has been out for 2 months.

33 games 12 goals 4 Assists. Thats a goal every 220 minutes or so.

Some cheap options:

Lyle Taylor no thanks
Jordan Graham yes
JET no thanks
Oztumer 50/50
Jake Wright won’t come here
Doyle age KR likes younger hungry players
Kashi also age
Roofe won’t come back

Some cheap options:

Jordan Graham won't be cheap with his wages. Nor will Lyle Taylor or Todd Kane.

Doyle I think has something set up with Oldham.

No thanks on JET. Has talent but lazy and a poor attitude.

God knows I hope KR at least has a proper look at Hemmings before selling him.

Who knows what he could be if properly managed.

I’d keep:
Eastwood
Stevens
Agboola
Nelson
Dickie
Long (last chance for him I think)
Raglan
Kelleher
Mousinho (back up)
Carroll
Hall
Ledson
Brannagan
Ruffs
Rothwell
Napa
Baptiste
Hemmings
Henry

I’d release or let return to parent club:
Shearer
Tiendali
Williamson
Martin
Kane
Richardinho
Smith-Brown
Pekalski
Mowatt
Ashby
Buckley-Ricketts
Thomas
Obika
Roberts
Mehmeti
Gino

I'd Keep
Eastwood
Stevens
Agboola
Kane(if we can buy)
Carroll
Mousinho
Dickie
Nelson
Raglan
Kelleher
Hall
Buckley Ricketts (if we can buy)
Henry
Rothwell
Ruffels
Brannagan
Ledson
Napa
Henry
Obika
Hemmings

Release and send back rest

Would mean we need
LB x2
CB x1
ST x2
CM x1
Winger x2
RBx1

I would keep

Eastwood
Stevens
Agboola

Kane ( if we could buy )
Nelson
Dickie
Kelleher ( for a season to see if he can make it )

Hall
Henry
Rothwell
Ledson
Ruffles
Branannagan

Napa

No one else hope finance is available at a decent amount

2xLB
1xRB
2x wingers
4x Forward

Last edited:
Agree with much of the retained lists above, but Napa??? He might look ok against a team that gives him plenty of time on the ball (though even then his decision making is very poor) but he can't withstand the slightest of challenges let alone get a tackle in himself.

Agree with much of the retained lists above, but Napa??? He might look ok against a team that gives him plenty of time on the ball (though even then his decision making is very poor) but he can't withstand the slightest of challenges let alone get a tackle in himself.
He's only 18. He needs 1-2 years more time to develop.

Plus give Napa a summer of gym work and we could see a real player in our squad next season.

I don’t see the appeal that others do of Kane. Yes he works hard but there are better right backs out there.

I think if the worst does happen and we go down we should concentrate on youth next season with one or two experienced pros scattered in to help them. No more journeymen filled squads. Supporters will feel more connected to young enthusiastic, and hopefully in a lot of cases, local players. Therell be loads being released from academies in the summer and they’ll also be far more cost effective

The only players who are actually nailed on to be here next season, regardless of what league we're in are:

Dickie
Brannagan
Obika
Ruffels
Napa
Carrol

Loan Players

Buckley Ricketts, Gino, Kane, Smith - Brown, Mowatt are all loans. They're all going back (even though I assume we'll try to get Kane on a permanent deal as he's OOC in the Summer).

Out of contract players in the Summer -

Out of contract players this summer - Hall, Ricardinhio (who has an option for another year, but once again not nailed on), Thomas, Williamson, Mehmetti, Nelson (one year option again, but not nailed on to be here if an offer comes in), Aaron Martin, Rothwell, Shearer, Tiendalli. Agbola, Ashby, Long, Roberts.

Out of this list of players, I assume we'll try to keep Hall, Rothwell and Nelson. However there's an uncertainty they'll be here next season, even if Hall and Rothwell are good mates with Robinson, their ambition might take them elsewhere (I think Hall will actually sign, not too sure about Rothwell). If a good offer comes in for Nelson in the summer, and he's shown no signs of signing a new deal, I think we might cash in.

Then we actually come down to the players who ARE contracted for either next season or beyond:

Ledson, Pekalski, Mousinhio, Obika, Eastwood, Stevens, Napa - All expire in 2019.

Ledsons proposed move to Preston in January was well documented, however he didn't get it. It wouldn't surprise me if the club told him wait until the Summer and then you can leave. Even if the club didn't say that, then we're in a sticky situation as he's only got one year left, so can sign a pre deal in January 2019 and leave for free. Robinson doesn't seem to be a fan of Pekalski, and even though he's contracted for next season, I think we'll cut our loses in the Summer and let him go. Mousinho is also contracted for next season, and even though KR has only seen him play in 3 games, DF and CA have seen him play all season, and I think will help KR make the decision to mutually terminate his contract too. KR seems to be a fan of Obika too, however his recent article in the OM saying “If he’s not fit, he’s no use to anyone.” makes me question this, however I think we'll take the punt on him for next season too and he'll stay.

Eastwood was also a target for clubs in January, with the club rejecting bids from Barnsley and Celtic. If another bid for him arrives in the Summer and its financially lucrative to Eastwood he may decide to move on, or the club could find the offer lucrative for a 28 year old keeper with 1 year left on his deal, who hasn't had the best of seasons this year. KR seems to be a fan so I think he'll stay, but certainly not nailed on. Stevens I honestly don't know, seems to be rated highly but I doubt he'll be anywhere near the first team next season. Napa - this kids not going anywhere. KR loves him. DF loves him. Wouldn't surprise me if he signs a new deal before the end of this season.

Ruffels, Carroll, Dickie - All expire in 2020

Ruffels signed a new deal this season and seems to be happy here. Good player to have around the squad, doesn't strop if he's benched and then constantly performs. Can play a few positions and a few managers have rated him - Chris Wilder, Micky Lewis, Garry Waddock?, Michael Appleton, Pep Clotet, Karl Robinson? The length of his contract means the club would demand a few £££ if someone wanted him. So thats why he'll be here next season, same with Carroll and Dickie.

Brannagan - expires 2021

Joined in January on a 3 and a half year deal. Kids not going anywhere yet.

Players who WE have sent out on loan -

Manny Agbola - contracted until 2018. He'll be let go.

We have 2 CBs out on loan - Raglan and Kellher. Our fans seem to rate Raglan very highly, as do I, however we don't know KR's plans with him yet. Many of us haven't seen Kelleher kick a ball yet, and has spent this season playing his trade for Solihull Moors. Does KR think he's up to standard?Both of these players are contracted until 2019 but not nailed on to be here and in KRs plans.

Then we get to Kane Hemmings. Last season he scored 15 goals. Albeit only around 3 or 4 were in the league, and many of the goals he scored didn't really mean anything as in terms of results, but he seems to be doing alright at Mansfield. He's still contracted until 2019 with us, but I think Mansfield may have an option to purchase, and I don't think he'll be here next season.

The only players who are actually nailed on to be here next season, regardless of what league we're in are:

Dickie
Brannagan
Obika
Ruffels
Napa
Carrol

Loan Players

Buckley Ricketts, Gino, Kane, Smith - Brown, Mowatt are all loans. They're all going back (even though I assume we'll try to get Kane on a permanent deal as he's OOC in the Summer).

Out of contract players this summer - Hall, Ricardinhio (who has an option for another year, but once again not nailed on), Thomas, Williamson, Mehmetti, Nelson (one year option again, but not nailed on to be here if an offer comes in), Aaron Martin, Rothwell, Shearer, Tiendalli. Agbola, Ashby, Long, Roberts.

Out of this list of players, I assume we'll try to keep Hall, Rothwell and Nelson. However there's an uncertainty they'll be here next season, even if Hall and Rothwell are good mates with Robinson, their ambition might take them elsewhere (I think Hall will actually sign, not too sure about Rothwell). If a good offer comes in for Nelson in the summer, and he's shown no signs of signing a new deal, I think we might cash in.

Then we actually come down to the players who ARE contracted for either next season or beyond:

Ledson, Pekalski, Mousinhio, Obika, Eastwood, Stevens, Napa - All expire in 2019.

Ledsons proposed move to Preston in January was well documented, however he didn't get it. It wouldn't surprise me if the club told him wait until the Summer and then you can leave. Even if the club didn't say that, then we're in a sticky situation as he's only got one year left, so can sign a pre deal in January 2019 and leave for free. Robinson doesn't seem to be a fan of Pekalski, and even though he's contracted for next season, I think we'll cut our loses in the Summer and let him go. Mousinho is also contracted for next season, and even though KR has only seen him play in 3 games, DF and CA have seen him play all season, and I think will help KR make the decision to mutually terminate his contract too. KR seems to be a fan of Obika too, however his recent article in the OM saying “If he’s not fit, he’s no use to anyone.” makes me question this, however I think we'll take the punt on him for next season too and he'll stay.

Eastwood was also a target for clubs in January, with the club rejecting bids from Barnsley and Celtic. If another bid for him arrives in the Summer and its financially lucrative to Eastwood he may decide to move on, or the club could find the offer lucrative for a 28 year old keeper with 1 year left on his deal, who hasn't had the best of seasons this year. KR seems to be a fan so I think he'll stay, but certainly not nailed on. Stevens I honestly don't know, seems to be rated highly but I doubt he'll be anywhere near the first team next season. Napa - this kids not going anywhere. KR loves him. DF loves him. Wouldn't surprise me if he signs a new deal before the end of this season.

Ruffels signed a new deal this season and seems to be happy here. Good player to have around the squad, doesn't strop if he's benched and then constantly performs. Can play a few positions and a few managers have rated him - Chris Wilder, Micky Lewis, Garry Waddock?, Michael Appleton, Pep Clotet, Karl Robinson? The length of his contract means the club would demand a few £££ if someone wanted him. So thats why he'll be here next season, same with Carroll and Dickie.

Brannagan - expires 2021

We have 2 CBs out on loan - Raglan and Kellher. Our fans seem to rate Raglan very highly, as do I, however we don't know KR's plans with him yet. Many of us haven't seen Kelleher kick a ball yet, and has spent this season playing his trade for Solihull Moors. Does KR think he's up to standard?Both of these players are contracted until 2019 but not nailed on to be here and in KRs plans.

Then we get to Kane Hemmings. Last season he scored 15 goals. Albeit only around 3 or 4 were in the league, and many of the goals he scored didn't really mean anything as in terms of results, but he seems to be doing alright at Mansfield. He's still contracted until 2019 with us, but I think Mansfield may have th

Dickie
Brannagan
Obika
Ruffels
Napa
Carrol

Loan Players

Brannagan - expires 2021

Then we get to Kane Hemmings. Last season he scored 15 goals. Albeit only around 3 or 4 were in the league, and many of the goals he scored didn't really mean anything as in terms of results, but he seems to be doing alright at Mansfield. He's still contracted until 2019 with us, but I think Mansfield may have an option to purchase, and I don't think he'll be here next season.

an option to purchase, and I don't think he'll be here next season.

Thanks for posting this, a helpful summary! Overall, I think we have a core of decent young players, who hopefully will be supplemented over the summer with experienced robust players; two full backs, pace up front and forwards who spend less time on the treatment table.

Dickie
Brannagan
Obika
Ruffels
Napa
Carrol

Loan Players

Brannagan - expires 2021

Kane isn't out of contract in summer,he's ooc in 2019. Although i do expect IF we survive we will try to get him.
With Hemmings also, if Mansfield stay down and we survive i suspect he'll choose to come back here if Robinson can guarentee minutes for him.

Add Hall to that list, Robinson said on Friday that we have an extra year on Hall. With his injury this season i don't think many teams would want to risk him.

Agree with most of the comments on here-I think we all agree on the majority of players on here. My twopence
1. Most importantly what about these good youngsters we have. Noel Williams?? The captain of the u18 is being watched by clubs above us in the league pyramid. Surely these lads should be included in any plans
2. Depends what league we're in!! Praying for win Saturday
3. Wolves season ticket holder at work reckons Jordan Graham will be released at end of season when there promotion to premiership is confirmed. Good free signing!!

Some interesting quotes from KR re our “embarrassingly big” squad.

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/o...d_United_squad_aids_Curtis_Nelson_s_recovery/

“We’ve got far too many players at the club and they need to play as well.

“We could almost, embarrassingly, put a team out while we play (in League One).”

He added: “This club will be different next year.

“You won’t recognise the professionalism, the change in mentality.

“The size of the squad will be massively reduced, but the quality will increase.

“I think there’s a lot of work to be done.”

Back
Top Bottom