Local News Speedway coming back?!

Good memories of the 60s & 70s watching Oxford Cheetahs (& briefly Oxford rebels) with my Granddad , Nan and Uncle ....good news that speedway is coming back to Oxford

Listening on radio oxford. I didn't realise how much Speedway has died since Oxford Cheetahs folded. No Speedway at Swindon, Reading , Coventry anymore and also hardly any of the great European riders race for any of the teams.

Jens Rasmussen was the only rider I could remember
I remember Hans Nielsen and Simon Wigg in the Oxford Mail, but I find it hard to believe anyone under 60 would want to go and see it now. Is it a cunning way of proving that the leisure facility is unviable and that the land should be converted to housing?

Is the dog’s going to be back on as well? Go karts never left did it? To make it viable it would need to be multi used but the dogs was always a good night out and speedway while niche has a hardcore fan base.

Hope it works out as Oxford and surrounding county is bereft of anything resembling entertainment, not everyone wants to trek into London.

I remember Hans Nielsen and Simon Wigg in the Oxford Mail, but I find it hard to believe anyone under 60 would want to go and see it now. Is it a cunning way of proving that the leisure facility is unviable and that the land should be converted to housing?

Not everyone on the planet is an Uber hipster, just social media makes it seems that way.

couple of decent articles on the decline of speedway:

one interesting bit - "...watched by an ageing audience. Redcar surveyed supporters two years ago and discovered that more than half had been going to speedway for at least 40 years, which suggested they were in their fifties and beyond. Despite generous initiatives for younger fans, British speedway has struggled to attract a new generation."

Listening on radio oxford. I didn't realise how much Speedway has died since Oxford Cheetahs folded. No Speedway at Swindon, Reading , Coventry anymore and also hardly any of the great European riders race for any of the teams.

At least Britain are World Champions. And good news with Cheetahs.

Is the dog’s going to be back on as well? Go karts never left did it? To make it viable it would need to be multi used but the dogs was always a good night out and speedway while niche has a hardcore fan base.

Hope it works out as Oxford and surrounding county is bereft of anything resembling entertainment, not everyone wants to trek into London.

Yes, the Greyhounds are coming back as from what I've read previously it is a key part of the plan.

couple of decent articles on the decline of speedway:

one interesting bit - "...watched by an ageing audience. Redcar surveyed supporters two years ago and discovered that more than half had been going to speedway for at least 40 years, which suggested they were in their fifties and beyond. Despite generous initiatives for younger fans, British speedway has struggled to attract a new generation."

Sky also broadcasting live at meetings may have also had an effect on dwindling numbers in the crowds. It use to be pretty popular in the 90s but unsure if it will be well supported this time round, i wish them well.

Back
Top Bottom