Special mention to Yellows Forum

Not even clear what point he is trying to make - and doesnt come back to it later on either.?
Most other references appear to be American as well, so this really doesnt make sense.

Hasn’t this appeared previously? Or is this yet another example of this great institution (cough) being subjected to academic discussion?

Not even clear what point he is trying to make - and doesnt come back to it later on either.?
Most other references appear to be American as well, so this really doesnt make sense.
I think it's to do with social media creating echo chambers, so that your views get reinforced by hearing people with a similar background or set of interests.
For instance, Oxford United are a sleeping giant / biggest team to go down to the Conference etc.
Or a discussion on whether the ref had a good or a bad game - depends mostly on the result I'd say. If we won he had a good game, if we lose he had a bad game. An independent fan might well see it differently.

Interestingly, on something unrelated to football, the forum poll on Brexit came out with 52% OUT and 48% IN.

Maybe, I just don't see why he would select this forum in particular from all those across the entire internet, unless this perhaps is the most accessible, yet concentrated football forum out there (with an optimum number of contributors) that he could find - which may be the case as when I;ve looked for those at other clubs, there are either a number of different ones for the same club, or just one but with only one message a week.
Maybe we are blessed with the best???

Hey

I contacted the author on LinkedIn, here is his reply:

To answer your question … “I was amazed to find the forum mentioned in one of your books. I would love to know how you came across the forum?”

It is really not that amazing at all. I discovered Yellows Forum the same way “Eastandboy” found my book … using Google. My assumption is that Google recently indexed my book and Eastandboy found the Yellows Forum mention with a preset Google alert or basic web search. Either way, it should not come as a surprise to anyone that a Google search can quickly locate archived discussions (within books or online forums). That is why I always suggest using a pseudonym when arguing or posting online.

Why did I choose to mention Yellows Forum? I would recommend going directly to page 47 and reading the chapter entitled “Flamebait & the rhetorical hammer of Godwin's Law.”
https://books.google.com/books?id=A...bAhUBRa0KHTP7DIoQ6AEINTAD#v=onepage&q&f=false

Given all the other online forums that I could have picked, I choose YF because I studied at Oxford, and I was “pleasantly surprised at [the] civility" of the discussion. All online forums exhibit varying levels of venom-spewing; I found Yellows Forum online banter, however, to have the type of sophistication that Americans such as myself have grown to admire.

If you read the chapter, you will see my reference to the online phenomenon known as "Godwin's Law of Nazi Analogies." I write, “in a 1994 article in Wired Magazine, American attorney and author, Mike Godwin, developed his namesake law based on this observation that 'as an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one (100%)."

Honestly … I could have picked any online .php-built discussion forum (and there are thousands of them) to prove Godwin’s Law, see YF examples here: https://yellowsforum.co.uk/search/12021/?q=hitler&o=date

The point I try to make in the chapter is that in online discussion forums (and I will paraphrase my book) “people provide their opinions, arguments are had, Hitler and the Nazis are mentioned, pride is wounded at times, jokes are made and everyone eventually moves on to the next hot topic of the day. All that energy and we are no closer to addressing real issues ... As we all know, these types of superfluous online discussions are all around us. This fact leads me to wonder whether meaningful discussions about challenging subjects can be properly addressed online or whether we have simply created an environment where we bicker and annoy one another in loud and heated discussions without offering any kind of solution."

I hope that provides some level of clarity and that my comments aren’t seen as flamebait in your community. At the very least, you now know that if someone tries wielding the rhetorical hammer of Godwin’s Law on YF, you can call them out accordingly.

Yeah, but what would Hitler have thought?

Do I win something?
Doubt he'd appreciate Chef at the 'Bird's efforts, there are some claims that towards the end of his life, Hitler was a Vegetarian

Hey

I contacted the author on LinkedIn, here is his reply:

To answer your question … “I was amazed to find the forum mentioned in one of your books. I would love to know how you came across the forum?”

It is really not that amazing at all. I discovered Yellows Forum the same way “Eastandboy” found my book … using Google. My assumption is that Google recently indexed my book and Eastandboy found the Yellows Forum mention with a preset Google alert or basic web search. Either way, it should not come as a surprise to anyone that a Google search can quickly locate archived discussions (within books or online forums). That is why I always suggest using a pseudonym when arguing or posting online.

Why did I choose to mention Yellows Forum? I would recommend going directly to page 47 and reading the chapter entitled “Flamebait & the rhetorical hammer of Godwin's Law.”
https://books.google.com/books?id=A...bAhUBRa0KHTP7DIoQ6AEINTAD#v=onepage&q&f=false

Given all the other online forums that I could have picked, I choose YF because I studied at Oxford, and I was “pleasantly surprised at [the] civility" of the discussion. All online forums exhibit varying levels of venom-spewing; I found Yellows Forum online banter, however, to have the type of sophistication that Americans such as myself have grown to admire.

If you read the chapter, you will see my reference to the online phenomenon known as "Godwin's Law of Nazi Analogies." I write, “in a 1994 article in Wired Magazine, American attorney and author, Mike Godwin, developed his namesake law based on this observation that 'as an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one (100%)."

Honestly … I could have picked any online .php-built discussion forum (and there are thousands of them) to prove Godwin’s Law, see YF examples here: https://yellowsforum.co.uk/search/12021/?q=hitler&o=date

The point I try to make in the chapter is that in online discussion forums (and I will paraphrase my book) “people provide their opinions, arguments are had, Hitler and the Nazis are mentioned, pride is wounded at times, jokes are made and everyone eventually moves on to the next hot topic of the day. All that energy and we are no closer to addressing real issues ... As we all know, these types of superfluous online discussions are all around us. This fact leads me to wonder whether meaningful discussions about challenging subjects can be properly addressed online or whether we have simply created an environment where we bicker and annoy one another in loud and heated discussions without offering any kind of solution."

I hope that provides some level of clarity and that my comments aren’t seen as flamebait in your community. At the very least, you now know that if someone tries wielding the rhetorical hammer of Godwin’s Law on YF, you can call them out accordingly.

Fair do for the lengthy reply. And fair do for doing the sleuth work, Eaststandboy!

Back
Top Bottom