Spain v Poland

001 Taxis - 10% discount for forum members
I thought the replay where they stopped it at the point of contact was leading the on pitch ref's decision. Slow mo always makes things look 10 times worse.

This penalty begs the question with this being reviewed, why wasn't Sterling's last night even reviewed or why did VAR not refer the blatant rugby tackle on the French player from a cross for the on field Ref to decide?

This is the problem with VAR, the decision making using it remains inconsistent, just like when it is left to the on field Ref. It has to be one way or the other and I vote get rid.
It's certainly true that that the mistakes have moved from 'did the ref get that right' to 'did VAR get that right' or even 'was the decision not to refer to VAR for a particular incident right'.

My opinion is still that football is a game which should to as large a degree as possible be played under the same conditions from the top of the pyramid to the bottom. For that reason (and with the added thought that it sucks much of the joy out of a goal while we wait to see if someone was a toenail offside three minutes ago) I wish they'd scrap it. But they won't - it makes 'good telly'.

I thought it was soft - but on the other hand, if it hadn't been given, we would have missed seeing Morata shank the rebound about 10 yards wide of a completely unguarded net! Seeing him miss chance after chance, and edge closer and closer to complete emotional meltdown, was a joy!

I thought it was soft - but on the other hand, if it hadn't been given, we would have missed seeing Morata shank the rebound about 10 yards wide of a completely unguarded net! Seeing him miss chance after chance, and edge closer and closer to complete emotional meltdown, was a joy!
It was a joy.

This penalty begs the question with this being reviewed, why wasn't Sterling's last night even reviewed or why did VAR not refer the blatant rugby tackle on the French player from a cross for the on field Ref to decide?
Apparently with the Sterling one the ref said he saw it but the contact wasn't enough for a penalty. Whereas the ref last night missed the contact (same as the Alaba penalty for Austria) so it's correcting something he didn't see.

Apparently with the Sterling one the ref said he saw it but the contact wasn't enough for a penalty. Whereas the ref last night missed the contact (same as the Alaba penalty for Austria) so it's correcting something he didn't see.

Whilst I get the claim for reasoning. It is still ridiculous and just shows the inconsistency of VAR. How the rugby tackle in the France game after it was reviewed isn't viewed as a foul is laughable.

I have said it all along, if the players Managers staff etc just accepted the Referees decision this farce would not be needed. The moment they were allowed to surround the ref and get in his face the rot set in. On top of this the TV companies had to show everything from differing angles to try to find a reason why a goal offside or whatever should/not have been awarded.They just sought controversy for the sake of it and those sat at home on the sofa,
The laws apply across the whole game so how can you have something in place that only applies in the Elite Leagues / Matches, it is just as important to Crewe Accrington etc as it is to those at the top and if it's about cost then again it's about the have's and have nots thus creating an even bigger divide.

My stance remains the same send the Var equipment and sat dishes to the scrap heap and return the game to the people

I've seen a lot of comments during this tournament about how VAR is being used better than it is in the Premier League. Be that as it may, we've still seen a fair few goals chalked off and linos not flagging when a striker is clearly offside 'just in case' they're being played on by a toe. I don't think fans celebrate with the same freedom and conviction anymore, because a glance at the lino to check he hasn't got his flag up isn't enough to be sure it won't be taken away. Now a seemingly innocuous challenge on the halfway line 2 minutes before a goal is enough to see the game pulled back. No matter how well the technology is used, it will always cause fans to be just that bit more cautious in their celebrations - and that, for me, is the biggest reason it should be scrapped. If you can't celebrate a goal with pure, unrestricted emotion then what's the point in football.

There have been 3 instances this week alone that have made it more controversial

The Lovren booking and penalty

The Spain penalty

Morata's initial flagged offside then given as a goal

None of those would have been questioned if VAR was not there None.....other than the TV companies and pundits looking for something to say to add fuel to the fire and justify them being there.

Stop replays and just accept the Officials decision, those at the game always did or at least had to and we all got on with the game.

Back
Top Bottom