Social bikes

BRIGHTON YELLOW

As an exile who doesn't get to many home games, as I came out of the train station on the 1 or 5 bus on Saturday, I saw a couple of 'discarded' orange social bikes. What's the current deal with social bikes in Oxford - it doesn't seem clear online? It would seem like a relatively easy way for some fans (like me) to get to the ground and reduce emissions, congestion etc. Does anyone have any knowledge / advice?

As an exile who doesn't get to many home games, as I came out of the train station on the 1 or 5 bus on Saturday, I saw a couple of 'discarded' orange social bikes. What's the current deal with social bikes in Oxford - it doesn't seem clear online? It would seem like a relatively easy way for some fans (like me) to get to the ground and reduce emissions, congestion etc. Does anyone have any knowledge/advice?
there are several companies who are overseeing 'social bicycles currently in Oxford, said companies are supposed to regularly collect em (via trackers?) wherever they've been left.... sadly, there are often many of those social/ hire bicycles dumped here there n everywhere

local gov info re. hire/social bicycles-

I think one of the several companies, Donkey republic(?) have an 'outlet' at (one of) the train station(s)

re the post title, that reminded me of my schooldays, in my early teens, if memory serves, there were several girls, who many of my mates were 'acquinted' with, who had that title ( social bicycle !) bestowed on them ;) .... times and terminology have changed I suppose:rolleyes:

‘Social bikes’.

I was worried when I opened this one up that it was going to be a Love Island thread.

In all seriousness though, how far can you take them?

I used a similar service in Vilnius in Lithuania and you could ride scooters and bikes around but had to leave them within a set area once you’d finished with it. Could you cycle from Oxford station to the Kassam and would it cost less than the £3.80 that the #1 and #5 bus costs for a return?

Last edited:
‘Social bikes’.

I was worried when I opened this one up that it was going to be a Love Island thread.

I used a similar service in Vilnius in Lithuania and you could ride scooters and bikes around but had to leave them within a set area once you’d finished with it. Could you cycle from Oxford station to the Kassam and would it cost less than the £3.80 that the #1 and #5 bus costs for a return?

I've seen them up against the railings occasionally when walking to the Kasstad past the Park so I'd assume so. Haven't a clue on cost.

‘Social bikes’.

A minute on Google gave me this I'm sure if you spent ten mins you could get all the info you need, anyway hope this helps
https://www.dailyinfo.co.uk/dockless-bike-hire used a similar service in Vilnius in Lithuania and you could ride scooters and bikes around but had to leave them within a set area once you’d finished with it. Could you cycle from Oxford station to the Kassam and would it cost less than the £3.80 that the #1 and #5 bus costs for a return?

you can usually find most of the bikes that used to be run by a couple of the companies that pulled out of Oxford (due to thefts/vandalism) around Blackbird Leys with their control systems cut off.

Back
Top Bottom