General So what's your other team?

Ox4Eva

Forum is so boring just now, with most people under lockdown you would think it would be busy with arguments and jolly japes , but noooo!

Right, to stir the pot...

I posted a while back that a scummer said we were not as loyal as them as most of them only supported their team and most of our support also had a plastic premiershit team as well.

Just to liven things up, come on have you got another English team ?

No. But I do want Pompey to do well as long as it isn't at our expense.

Sorry but I am a one man team man. I hve been for over 70 years so I am not likely to change now.

The main reason some have another team is the fact that Sky TV have a total fixation on the premier league. Constant bombardment of live matches from the premiereship tend to s sway the less intelligent. ?

Only one English team.

We go and watch Perth Glory a bit to get some live football.
Only

Oxford United Women.

I've become quite a big rugby fan over the last five or six years and while I don't support a team, I did, like a plastic, buy a Quins scarf when I went to The Stoop.

There, I've said it. ?

Last edited:
Ayr United for the family connection. Soft spot for Dagenham as was born there. No strong views about premiership teams though I like Bournemouth for their smallness and the way they play

Only OUFC in England. Follow FC Utrecht here in Holland.

<Clears throat> - "...My name is Mooro …. and I have another team..."

Leicester Football Club aka: Leicester Tigers :)

Having moved about the country a bit I did try and watch other teams but it just doesn`t "connect".

Anyone purporting to support two clubs is just a two team w***er

Went to a Legia Warsaw match once and now I keep an eye out when they're in Europe.

Ridiculous club.

Not English, but 1. FC Union over here (and a passing interest in Hertha BSC, Sint Truidense and AC Milan through mates and associates)

<Clears throat> - "...My name is Mooro …. and I have another team..."
I grew up in Birmingham, and my nearest league side was Aston Villa, who my older sister also supported (though my Dad was an Albion follower).
I saw my first game when I was six and continued to see them a few times a season through school and Uni and for a while afterwards, including League Cup wins in 75 and 77, League title in 81, European Cup in 82 (+ European Super Cup and World Club Championships (nearly 40 yrs before Liverpool)), then more League Cup wins in 94 and 96, though by then I was not watching games at all.

I had moved to Oxford in 88 to work (Nielsens on London Rd), and had ended up watching a U's game on my first day in the city, as my landlord was delayed letting me into my house, so I had to find a way to fill an afternoon (draw with Colin Hendry's Blackburn I seem to remember). It was in the mid 90s, after a move from Cowley to Headington, that I slowly became more interested in the club at the end of the road, and their trials and tribulations, and financial struggles. It just seemed more real, more personal, easier to relate to, rather than bigger clubs just able to pay their way out of any situation. I remember, in particular, being astounded that they could not find £10k to bring Ben Abbey on board from non-league Crawley.

Basically it grew from there, regular walks up the road to the Manor, then Grenoble Road, then adding in the U18s on Saturday mornings at Iffley Road, OxVox, U's yOUth, season tickets, etc etc. The practical involvement tailed off due to family events, including a move to Wycombe and now Hemel, but certainly no chance of being attracted away again, wherever I live.

So, my journey has arguably gone the other way then most (Big to small, rather than small to big), and while I still actively look for both results each weekend, I liken it to your first love/childhood sweetheart who you broke up with long long ago, but you still keep an eye out for to wish them well in an almost sibling-style way, and the woman/club that you go on to marry and stay with for life....

Back
Top Bottom