General So what's your other team?

Leeds , family came from first match I ever went to was elland rd

Born and bred in Oxford, though I haven't lived there since the early 1970s and am nothing if not loyal.

Unfortunately........the very first team I supported, long before I even watched a football match, was Spurs. (I thought that "Hotspur" was a great name for a team.) Of course, I was a glory hunter--this was 1960 or so, when I was 11 and they had a fabulous team. And I still support them against everyone except the Mighty Yellows. I started going to Oxford games a year or so later and they were in my blood from then on. Just to continue the confession, however--I also support Grêmio in Brasil. You can't spend as much time as I do in Porto Alegre without supporting either them or their equivalent of the scum (Internacional). The first game I saw in Brasil was Grêmio vs. Palmeiras, and that was all I needed to become a Gremista.

All that being said, everything stops for Oxford games--I never schedule classes or a meeting when a game is on, have missed department meetings in order to listen to or watch a game, and my heart is yellow.

Will you forgive me now?

As I have mentioned before. When I was younger I claimed to be a Manchester United fan, purely because everyone else was and I had no real love for football at the time. Never watched a game but had some merchandise. It was only when I started watching Oxford that I fell in love with the game and the club, notably Wembley 2010. Got my first season ticket in 2013 and haven't looked back since!
I just love the buzz you get off of it, it's like a drug.
The feeling of being part of something bigger and the ambition of getting to the promised land. Could never swap that for sky sports in the pub, that's for proper boring sods.

Last edited:
OUFC for me although when in Scotland visiting the wife's family I support the mighty Raith Rovers :)

Been a Manchester City fan for more than 40 years, first went to Maine Road to see them in 1981. Back then, there was only me and one other lad in my year at school who went to watch Oxford. Everyone else was a Liverpool, Leeds or Man U fan. My best mate was a City supporter (family was from the city) so I kind of fell in with him.

When we got into Division 2 with them back in '84 I was incredibly excited. Went up to Maine Road for the away game with Oxford shirt and City scarf on. These days, we get up there three or four times a season.

My love for City isn't as great as for Oxford, obviously, but I'm pretty passionate about the club. I've never understood why people have a problem with those of us who follow two teams.

Should only support one team and that is the Mighty Yellows, but if you did it should only be your home nation.

Only one team for me OUFC
although I like to see Oxford City do well also

West Ham.

My Grandad came from Dagenham and was a Hammers fan as a kid. Moved to Oxford after the war and started to watch Oxford United when we were in the southern league. Saw our rise up. When I was a kid, certain members of the family tried to put me in a Liverpool shirt. Grandad put pay to that nonsense and asked me whether I would like to watch a live game of football. I was dead keen and he took me to watch Oxford United vs West Ham at the manor in 1986. A few games in I was hooked and Im so glad he got me involved.

A side story is that in 2006 (I think), I took him back to Dagenham when OUFC were in the conference. We got there early and we drove around his old haunts. Quite emotional really - Yemi scored in a 1-0 win. We went as a family to Wembley in 2010 to see OUFC get back in to the football league. This was one of the last OUFC games he saw. Great bloke - god I miss him, but he taught me well.

Mine would be Inter Milan for family reasons, but lost all love for football at that level now. Just a money pit. Watch local non-league team if Oxford aren't playing.

Leeds United when I was growing up in the 70 s then saw the light in 81 and it’s been oxford ever since . Glasgow Rangers are my team north of the border of which I try and go once a season and then there’s England duty as much as possible home and away !!

I was a Leeds fan in the days of Revie but my first love has always been OUFC. I was born in Margaret Road opposite where they once played.
I did go to a lot of Chelmsford City games when I lived nearby.Also West Ham a few times in the 70s

As a kid, from a non football supporting family, I supported Leeds as my mates whole family did....then at 12 year old in 1972 discovered Oxford United...and never looked back.

These days, after a brilliant trip to Ibrox last summer, I have wanted Rangers to do well in Scotland though. Think it is down to the hospitality shown by their fans on the Saturday night and again after the game in the Sunday.... hardly bought a drink all weekend ????⚽⚽

Back
Top Bottom