So that is that.

Whingit

Window closed, everyone happy? Now it's finished I'll be less perturbed by moaning because the window can be assessed as a whole.

I'm pretty happy with what we've got, and I imagine the club already have plans for January. Optimistic for the season.

Window closed, everyone happy? Now it's finished I'll be less perturbed by moaning because the window can be assessed as a whole.

I'm pretty happy with what we've got, and I imagine the club already have plans for January. Optimistic for the season.
The loans window is still open, isnt it?

I'm still slightly concerned. Up front still seems light to me (unreliable Obika, unknown quantity Smith, either unfit or past it Mackie and possibly the very young Lopes) and central midfield (despite signing the currently injured Hansen) looks a bit porous. Maybe a couple of loans to come (although we've enough of those already).

Signing Holmes of course boosts us and Hansen looks like he should add a bit of steel in the middle. I am interested to see the team in a couple of days.

Happy, do feel we may not have the firepower up front but willing and hoping it will click !

Agree about being a striker light, but I'm happy enough giving what we've got a chance and maybe adding in January.

Slight moan regarding people (traitors?) inside the club giving away info that they shouldn't be, many more ITK than before.

Excuse my ignorance but how many games did Hanson or Holmes feature in last season?

Excuse my ignorance but how many games did Hanson or Holmes feature in last season?

Holmes was a regular for KR at Charlton last season before signing for Sheffield Utd in January.

Hanson has played 20 odd times for Derby as well as a loan spell at Wigan iirc. Although don't know how many he played last season.

Edit: According to Wiki, he played 17 times on loan at Wigan last season.

Just the 11 new signings.

Permanent
Norman, McMahon, Hanson, Mackie, Whyte, Tsun Dai

Loans
Carruthers, Holmes, Garbutt, Smith, Browne,

Not including the U23 contingent.

Robinson admits in his interview he’s never had such a large budget to work with

That bloke Tiger is potless.

Yeah happy with that Tiger has backed Karl with the players he wanted so over to the management team now to make it work they cant have many complaints or excuses.

Ill admit to being worried that we have started the season under prepared but we have got there in the end and hope we will now be able to start to compete and hold our own at least safely midtable with a bit of an interest in the playoffs COYY

Compared to last year it's clear this squad has so much more potential than last year, when it was obvious that roster was full of old crocks and sub standard players. That said potential is worth nothing if it isn't realised.

I've only had the benefit of seeing the game versus Leeds youth team thus far and we were woeful given the lack of prime opposition. Luke Garbutt was watching the game pass him by, Norman was found out in the 2nd half and even Dickie was second best, to name just a few. Looking at the comments following the Barnsley game not much appears to have changed.

Even though Obika had a good pre-season that is likely to be a false dawn and we will need to rely more heavily on Smith & potentially Mackie to fill the void. Obika has had his chance and needs to revert to the bench (as we are so light in terms of forwards) and then out of the door at the end of the season.

However personally I like the way Karl Robinson is going about things. His openness and honesty is a refreshing change compared to clueless Clotet. Sure he is probably too open sometimes and maybe the odd fanciful comment, but nobody is perfect. I'm hopeful the mainly new managerial team will get the more (than last season) talented squad to come together over the next few games and we will start to get the results. It's probably too early to expect that to happen in time for Fleetwood given the headless chickens performances that have preceded it, but we don't need to panic just yet.

I would have liked more experience and size being brought into midfield too.

Given the limited number of players in key positions our season may be defined by how the main players can stay clear of major injuries. Clearly losing Carruthers isn't a great start. However regardless KR has done the right thing to put his resources into a smaller and more talented squad, rather than spread it too thinly on mediocre shite.

However I'm much more optimistic than 12 months ago and I'm looking forward to the roller coaster ride it is likely to be.

I'm still slightly concerned. Up front still seems light to me (unreliable Obika, unknown quantity Smith, either unfit or past it Mackie and possibly the very young Lopes) and central midfield (despite signing the currently injured Hansen) looks a bit porous. Maybe a couple of loans to come (although we've enough of those already).

Signing Holmes of course boosts us and Hansen looks like he should add a bit of steel in the middle. I am interested to see the team in a couple of days.

with Holmes (and the injured Carruthers) on loan from The Blades , Id hope they do add more than a bit of steel to our midfield ;)

Very much the same with you on this Striker wise is a worry in terms of is there enough goals in there compared to last seasons 19 from the fab 4, think that’s the only area where I think we should of spent a few quid on a decent centre forward but hopefully Smith will be the answer

Wouldn’t surprised if another CM comes in by end of August KR wanted 2 so might be a loan player or free agent (Rohan Ince or someone like that)

Overall very happy with the squad we’ve got specially out wide with the likes of Hall Holmes Browne Whyte all got pace & goals in them compared to last season

Don't think this is the end of our activity. Still expect another loan and maybe a free agent (ST or CM will do)

Don't think this is the end of our activity. Still expect another loan and maybe a free agent (ST or CM will do)
couple of st's that i wouldn't mind, Jay Emmanuel Thomas or Steve Davis the two stand outs. JET a very good striker if you put your arm round him and he focuses on his football and not get distracted by other things going on [bit of a primma dona] but he's probably the best striker available at the moment and been training with Billericay.

couple of st's that i wouldn't mind, Jay Emmanuel Thomas or Steve Davis the two stand outs. JET a very good striker if you put your arm round him and he focuses on his football and not get distracted by other things going on [bit of a primma dona] but he's probably the best striker available at the moment and been training with Billericay.
Billericay? Getting up to speed with Alfie P...think we can do better

Holmes is a cracking signing, whilst Hanson appears to fit the bill for an aggressive midfielder with a bit of presence.

I think Smith will be a good signing, although we do still look a bit light in numbers up front.

Browne & Garbutt will probably take a little while to adjust to League 1 football.

Overall I’m fairly happy with just the downer of Carruthers injury, bit of blow to be honest. However we’ve certainly got more quality in the squad than last season and providing we don’t pick up injuries to key players I’m hopeful for a decent & entertaining season. I suspect it will be a few games before we hit our stride.

Back
Top Bottom