So that is that.

Judgement of the transfer window possibly can be made by the absence of the usual doom merchants who have been very active in recent days but seemingly quite quiet today

They must have hated the work done today
Sadly they are just hibernating - pessimistic buggers are a species that find refuge beneath a rock when the sun is shining...waiting for drizzle to call a typhoon ?

It has been some transfer window. Especially on here.
Some priceless comments (I can't be bothered to go and look at all of them)
My favourite was somebody suggesting that the Holmes loan was a hoax and an old trick and was never on in the first place. All to put off the supporters and pretend that Tiger had money when in reality he didn't.
The trouble is I expect that we will get the same from the same person next year whoever it was...

Like many I think we need another striker, Obika scored against lesser teams but once put up against better teams including Leeds mainly youngsters, we were left wanting, wanting him to shoot, stay on his feet or dare I say score, in fairness he has put himself about, but he’s there to score against league 1 teams and I just can’t see him doing it, hopefully he will come off the bench, once in a blue moon, and shoot on target and possibly even score !!!!!!!!!

I think it's very much work in progress. Considering who we've lost and the mess we found ourselves in last season we're doing very well to look as strong as we do.
The team is a bit lopsided at the minute although players can cover it's not ideal. Positions are according to transfermarket and soccerbase. But obviously some players can switch wings or from one position to another but according to their official position:

3 Keepers

4 Centre Backs (Dickie, Nelson, Raglan and Mousinho)

3 Right backs (McMahon, Norman and Long)
1 Left back (Garbutt)

5 Central Midfielders (Brannagan, Browne, Carruthers, Ruffels and Hanson)

3 Right Wing (Hall, Whyte, Henry,)

1 Left Wing (Holmes)

3 Forwards (Obika, Makie and Smith)

3 Out on loan (Kelleher, Napa, Pekalski)

3 U23's listed on the first team home page (James, Little and Baptiste)

I would expect us to bring in an out and out left winger and perhaps a striker. If not on loan then in Jan.
KR is right. We need to give them time and support.

I’m very happy with our transfer activity today.

I thought it would be 3 in 1 out.

Some suggesting that players would be leaving (Henry, Hall, Nelson, Ruffels) but we only lost Carroll who was on the fringes at best.

Some suggested that we were stuck with the loan market or free agents, but we have spent big money on Hanson and KR talks up our budget this year.

Some suggested that players didn't want to come to a mid table league 1 side, but Holmes says that he turned down better offers from other clubs and every one of those coming in have talked of the professional approach that sold the club to them.

I just hope that those who have got this summer so hopelessly wrong think before trolling every bad game or poor performance because they have proved that they know very little about football, and care little about our club.

Obika may not be a prolific goal scorer (to say the least), but he is a reasonably good hold up man imo. With that in mind, an Obika with an attacking midfield 3 of Holmes, Henry and Hall (HHH?) playing just behind him is a front 4 that I reckon could wreak havoc in this league - especially if Hanson (another H!) provides the cover for Brannigan to get forward and play a bit more. Also, having options off the bench like Smith, Browne, Caruthers (if he doesnt start once he's back), maybe even Whyte, etc, is very exciting in an attacking sense.

After watching that pumping last weekend, I am feeling far more optimistic about this season than I was 24 hours ago. As exciting as Holmes is (and he really is - he's a WOW signing for me), I'm particularly pleased with Hanson. I said after that match that we needed more physicality in the team, and he fits the bill perfectly. If the positive comments I'm seeing generally on social media are accurate, it honestly sounds like he could take this league by storm. An excellent acquisition.

Be good to see our players being backed to the hilt and even in the bad times being supported. But that will nevery happen with some who claim to be U's fans....

Some suggesting that players would be leaving (Henry, Hall, Nelson, Ruffels) but we only lost Carroll who was on the fringes at best.

Some suggested that we were stuck with the loan market or free agents, but we have spent big money on Hanson and KR talks up our budget this year.

Some suggested that players didn't want to come to a mid table league 1 side, but Holmes says that he turned down better offers from other clubs and every one of those coming in have talked of the professional approach that sold the club to them.

I just hope that those who have got this summer so hopelessly wrong think before trolling every bad game or poor performance because they have proved that they know very little about football, and care little about our club.
There still is the loan market for players to come in and go out..

Last edited:
Now that that is over. I can take a breath and look at what we have. I must say I am very impressed at what Tiger has achieved in such a relatively short space of time. The building blocks look to be in place for possibly a sustainable and bright future. New training ground, Under 18's, Under 23's, leading to a supported first team and manager who together with Shaun, Faz and Chris have enough experience and know how to push on for hopefully a successful season, if not season(s). Fingers crossed many times.

Now that that is over. I can take a breath and look at what we have. I must say I am very impressed at what Tiger has achieved in such a relatively short space of time. The building blocks look to be in place for possibly a sustainable and bright future. New training ground, Under 18's, Under 23's, leading to a supported first team and manager who together with Shaun, Faz and Chris have enough experience and know how to push on for hopefully a successful season, if not season(s). Fingers crossed many times.

Yes I agree - there is now indisputable progress and investment in a relatively short time - still early days but despite my alarm at his initial interview Tiger is starting to put into place what he promised and show some substance behind his sometimes rather bizarre words.

Tiger's PR is very poor ( he needs a good PR man- know anybody?)
But the building on Ashton/Eales legacy and taking it to a new level, the training ground, appointment of KR and backing of the manager (So far) has been impressive.
Over to you and the team KR
And if Tiger can sort the ground shambles as well ...

A massive year of rebuilding again this season. With again a lot of business done very late, this is now becoming a sad sign of the market. To me we have signed a lot of young players with potential and loaned some potentially decent players. I think we won't see the best from the team for a short while. We are playing catch up. Plus I think some of these young players will take some time to come good so patience will be needed.

I hope that our latest signings strengthen the midfield because as we saw in the first game and some of preseason it is too weak against good teams. I like many others think we lack a striker or two. I have no faith that Obika will be anything other than at best ok. That puts a lot of weight on Smith, and maybe a so far unfit Mackie. I am a bit concerned that we are completely set up to play just one system and will lack tactical versatility. I think this may make us easy to predict and maybe easy to cope, time will tell.

For me the squad is a little heavy on a certain sort of midfielders, and short cover at left back and in the holding midfielder role, and as mentioned lacks striking options. Overall though on paper it does seem a lot better than last season. With a lot of young players this season will be a steep learning curve in a much more competitive league one. I hope as the season progresses these players get better and we will get better as a team.

What I do fear is next year we are destined to forever repeat this off season with us having to replace a large number of players (loans an players we have to sell) and each season will become a groundhog day of rebuilding. I know this is our model but I am not sure it is one that will ever move the club forward in the long term.

A massive year of rebuilding again this season. With again a lot of business done very late, this is now becoming a sad sign of the market. To me we have signed a lot of young players with potential and loaned some potentially decent players. I think we won't see the best from the team for a short while. We are playing catch up. Plus I think some of these young players will take some time to come good so patience will be needed.

I hope that our latest signings strengthen the midfield because as we saw in the first game and some of preseason it is too weak against good teams. I like many others think we lack a striker or two. I have no faith that Obika will be anything other than at best ok. That puts a lot of weight on Smith, and maybe a so far unfit Mackie. I am a bit concerned that we are completely set up to play just one system and will lack tactical versatility. I think this may make us easy to predict and maybe easy to cope, time will tell.

For me the squad is a little heavy on a certain sort of midfielders, and short cover at left back and in the holding midfielder role, and as mentioned lacks striking options. Overall though on paper it does seem a lot better than last season. With a lot of young players this season will be a steep learning curve in a much more competitive league one. I hope as the season progresses these players get better and we will get better as a team.

What I do fear is next year we are destined to forever repeat this off season with us having to replace a large number of players (loans an players we have to sell) and each season will become a groundhog day of rebuilding. I know this is our model but I am not sure it is one that will ever move the club forward in the long term.

Great post! Summaries our situation perfectly.

Bang on the money as usual

We’ve got a good first-choice xi. There’s no doubt about that. Holmes and Hanson should be terrific. Indeed Hanson is THE key to everything.

The problem comes with Obika (he’s not good enough) and Brannagan (who Plays in his quarterback role?)

Kr has paid his monies taken his choice.

Back
Top Bottom