International News Smoke-free NZ.....

No worries to me as I don`t smoke but........
Excess State intervention in health matters?
Opening up a crime route?
Losing a lot of taxation?

Sorry @Sarge - cross it off the holiday list!
No one under 14 now will ever be able to by cigarettes in their lifetime…….can imagine that in our country the usuals will be out in force shouting “ breach of human rights “

It’s hard to disagree with this, it’s silly really that cigarettes are still sold, and doing it this way allows current smokers to carry on. As long as they don’t come for the drinkers …

It’s hard to disagree with this, it’s silly really that cigarettes are still sold, and doing it this way allows current smokers to carry on. As long as they don’t come for the drinkers …
Considering the size of the New Zealand wine industry, I think that would be very unlikely...

But will it be like prohibition in the US?
It will be interesting to see whether the NZ young people accept this or rebel ( causing a big black market)

No one under 14 now will ever be able to by cigarettes in their lifetime…….can imagine that in our country the usuals will be out in force shouting “ breach of human rights “
To be fair there’s a massive difference between banning people from having something, and forcing them to have it…

But will it be like prohibition in the US?
It will be interesting to see whether the NZ young people accept this or rebel ( causing a big black market)
If they’ve never smoked I doubt it would be a big issue. (If you’re going black market you’d want something more exciting)

And the age will go up every year in the banning of of buying cigarettes

wondering what the future of Smoked NZ Lamb as an export will be, as a knock-on effect of banning smoking?

Last edited:
Considering the size of the New Zealand wine industry, I think that would be very unlikely...
NZ wine is pretty unreal.

I would actually legalise all drugs, if people want to smoke cigs they'll find a way of getting them. This will just open up a black market trade and increase crime. I've got no issue with people doing almost anything as long as they don't force other people to do it.

NZ wine is brilliant. I’ve been to NZ for a month a few years ago and found all the wines from Marlborough extremely good. They will get cheaper now we have a trade arrangement.
When we visited Oxford and stayed recently I found the best wine I’ve ever tried was one from Wallingford that can be bought at the Oxford Wine Company. £12 a bottle seems a lot and one of the pubs near Witney was charging £27.
I am afraid I don’t agree with you on drugs. My view is that drugs have fuelled crime and to allow addictive drugs to be sold legally would result in high levels of misery.

NZ wine is brilliant. I’ve been to NZ for a month a few years ago and found all the wines from Marlborough extremely good. They will get cheaper now we have a trade arrangement.
When we visited Oxford and stayed recently I found the best wine I’ve ever tried was one from Wallingford that can be bought at the Oxford Wine Company. £12 a bottle seems a lot and one of the pubs near Witney was charging £27.
I am afraid I don’t agree with you on drugs. My view is that drugs have fuelled crime and to allow addictive drugs to be sold legally would result in high levels of misery.
Marlborough wines are dreamy!

Watch the vape wars begin now. The big tobacco players will be doing everything to get round this. John Safran’s recent book Puff Piece is a good read about it.

Sure, drugs fuel crime - but how much of that is because they're illegal (and therefore their production and distribution by definition have to be handled by organized crime) and how much is purely due to the mind-altering effect on the user, or the fact that addiction drives people to desperate acts?

That's a rhetorical question......I don't expect anyone to have an answer, and I'm certain that it's going to vary depending on the drug in question.

But it is odd that at a time when many parts of the world are starting to decriminalize certain drugs, or all drugs in some places (Portugal is a great example), NZ has decided to go in the opposite direction and criminalize something that's legal everywhere else.

down to 3- 4 a day now ..... slowly, but steadily heading towards kicking it

You can do it Sarge.
I've been smoke free since last September and I was a heavy smoker for 14 years so I know its tough to give it up. Best thing I've ever done though.

Barmy idea, but it will be easy to get around, just get someone older than you to buy them (be a bit surreal in the future to see 40 year olds hassling 50 year olds outside kiwi corner shops to buy them fags).

The last country that tried to prohibit the sale of something that was previously legally widely used and available was the US with booze, that led to the rise in power and influence of the Italian American version of the mafia and organised crime getting its tentacles into US governance.

You can do it Sarge.
I've been smoke free since last September and I was a heavy smoker for 14 years so I know its tough to give it up. Best thing I've ever done though.
cheers :) .... cut right down currently , reckon it'll be a cold turkey (ha!) kicking it day after boxing day ... that's the aim :)