Smartphone match tickets

Ox4Eva

As an online purchase of a matchday ticket is a barcode then surely these could be used via a smartphone app?

Depends on whether the scanners can read phone screens. I thought I read it would be available, this was when the whole print at home thing launched though.

Depends on whether the scanners can read phone screens. I thought I read it would be available, this was when the whole print at home thing launched though.

It wold make things easier and allow more online tickets sales I guess.

Tickets on smartphones are generally QR codes....... I doubt the scanning tech on the turnstiles could cope with anything more than a barcode.

They would need new readers to be able to reliably read barcodes (whether 1 dimensional like the ones on the current tickets, or 2 dimensional like QR codes) on the screens of mobile devices.

They would need new readers to be able to reliably read barcodes (whether 1 dimensional like the ones on the current tickets, or 2 dimensional like QR codes) on the screens of mobile devices.

Surely worth looking at when the time is right.

I had cause to test this last season. I managed to lose my ticket I had printed out, so pulled up the ticket on my smartphone. It was read first time without any trouble.

If you ever have trouble getting something scanned on your phone, make sure the screen brightness is turned up to the max.

I had cause to test this last season. I managed to lose my ticket I had printed out, so pulled up the ticket on my smartphone. It was read first time without any trouble.

If you ever have trouble getting something scanned on your phone, make sure the screen brightness is turned up to the max.

So it can be done, really worth looking at.

It's been one of the options in the major stadia in Melbourne for a good 3-4 years I would think, and both QR codes and barcodes are commonly read, both on paper and smartphones. I won't say it's entirely without its hitches but it's also quite an impressive feat seeing crowds of upwards of 30000 filing into a ground in a matter of twenty minutes.

The turnstiles still seem to be manned with one staff member each, so whether it's worth United's investment, for crowds averaging 7000 is debatable.

Back
Top Bottom