Slippery

At this moment in time and with not enough facts available to me (notintheknow), I think imo unjust.

The thing that i find most strange is that anybody thought DE was some kind of fairy godfather figure.

Hes a venture capitalist. He came in as with any other business with a tangible business plan to invest heavily to make money. Then start to reduce the expenditure leaving a shell to sell on.

Darryl did a lot of good for this club, but over the last year his focus has been solely on maximising his return.

Nothing wrong with that of course. But people being surprised?

Just out of interest, does anyone still think the epithet unjust?
Nope..... especially since the 'arrangement' Ensco have with OUFC has been revealed:unsure:

The thing that i find most strange is that anybody thought DE was some kind of fairy godfather figure.

Hes a venture capitalist. He came in as with any other business with a tangible business plan to invest heavily to make money. Then start to reduce the expenditure leaving a shell to sell on.

Darryl did a lot of good for this club, but over the last year his focus has been solely on maximising his return.

Also known as "The Kassam Defence"

We'll never know for sure, but I suspect Eales would have stayed around for a lot longer had Kassam been prepared to sell the ground. He (Kassam) is the real problem for us- what serious investor will ever touch us when you have to shell out £400k+ per annum for the privilege of playing in an unfinished cheaply built 'stadium' with shocking transport issues- oh, and where you get no/limited food & beverage matchday revenues?! . I think overall Eales did a good job for us tbh- he will get his money out, but he risked somewhere around £10m of his own money along the way. And we got promoted, and played some very good stuff, on his watch. Where I think criticism is justified is in who he has sold to. Early days, of course, but I am very sceptical that Tiger will be the right owner. Something doesn't seem right. Eales did have a duty of care to OUFC in passing the club on to appropriate management, and I am not sure he has done that....

But does that not just P*iss you off ?
Kassam does a big one on us and now DE is pawing around at the bottom of the cookie barrel! and he had the audacity to fleece us with a huge hike in season ticket prices!!

No it does not surprise me but gets my goat how these people just come along and do us over...

Last edited:
Anyone who can "sell" the club, retain a seat as a director, retain financial control over any player transfer income and yet remain absolved of any debt incurred by the very same club of which he remains a director is, most definitely, "slippery"

Anyone who can "sell" the club, retain a seat as a director, retain financial control over any player transfer income and yet remain absolved of any debt incurred by the very same club of which he remains a director is, most definitely, "slippery"
I would say that makes him slippery and clever

I like Darryl and don't care whether he made money from OUFC.

I have not been so entertained in my time supporting Oxford United:
  • Very attractive and exciting football to watch
  • Some fantastic cup victories
  • A promotion
  • TWO Wembley visits
  • Some fantastic players - Kemar Roofe, George Baldock, JonJoe Kenny, Jon Lundstram, Jordan Graham, Chris Maguire, Ryan Ledson, Curtis Nelson, Simon Eastwood and others probably forgot.
  • He brought in Ashton & Appleton who made most of this possible.
I watch football to be entertained and don't care about the politics in and around the watching of football. Yes I know it's blinkered... blah! blah! blah! xx

In 5 years time I won't remember this season but I will remember most of the above. Just like the older fans who remember the glory days of the Eighties.

Last edited:

• A promotion
  • TWO Wembley visits
  • Some fantastic players - Kemar Roofe, George Baldock, JonJoe Kenny, Jon Lundstram, Jordan Graham, Chris Maguire, Ryan Ledson, Curtis Nelson, Simon Eastwood and others probably forgot.
  • He brought Ashton & Appleton who made most of this possible.
I watch football to be entertained and don't care about the politics in and around the watching of football. Yes I know it's blinkered... blah! blah! blah! xx

In 5 years time I won't remember this season but I will remember most of the above. Just like the older fans who remember the glory days of the Eighties.

Jason, speaking on behalf of 90%+ of football fans, there.

Something I have to remind myself constantly as a plunge from misery to misery in regards to OUFC. Imagine just enjoying it.

Last edited by a moderator:

• A promotion
  • TWO Wembley visits
  • He brought in Ashton & Appleton who made most of this possible.

steady on young @Jason N ....a few of us on here not only remember the glory days of the 80s, we also can (in my case at times vaguely!) remember the glory days of the 60s and early 70s too;)

Last edited:
steady on young @Jason N ....a few of us on here not only remember the glory days of the 80s, we also can (in my case at times vaqguely!) remember the glory days of the 60s and early 70s too;)
Haha, Sorry Sarge, if it is any consolation, you'd never guess your age from your posting style. BTW that's supposed to be a compliment.

Last edited:
Haha, Sorry Sarge, if it is any consolation, you'd never guess your age from your posting style. BTW that's a supposed to be a compliment.
;) I was a mere ankle-biter for my first OUFC match...at the Manor in the very first season as OXFORD not as previously Headington Utd, went with me Dad n Uncle, to an Easter match at home to Bath City, lost 1-3 ....we beat Bath a day or two earlier at their place .... compliment taken, & thanks ;)

Back
Top Bottom