Current Player Slavi Spasov

If the young ones keep progressing like they are, with more and more breaking into the first team, league or no (U23) league, hopefully it shouldn’t matter too much. Maybe there is no official league due to older players being able to play in certain games?(injury returns for senior players/trialist etc...)

If the young ones keep progressing like they are, with more and more breaking into the first team, league or no (U23) league, hopefully it shouldn’t matter too much. Maybe there is no official league due to older players being able to play in certain games?(injury returns for senior players/trialist etc...)

There is an official u23 league, the Professional Development League* (made up of mostly Championship teams with the occasional PL or L1/L2 team) we could join. From asking questions in the past, the club have preferred the flexibility of arranging friendlies across a variety of opposition from the Nike Academy through to PL sides when it suits them.

*I believe a small number of overage players are allowed in each game but could be wrong.

They are in a cup, Premier League Trophy or some such.
Personally I'd like to see them in a league as well - and they do exist at this level - but I can also see the argument against, which is basically that once you are in a league you are then bound by the fixture list, with about 12-16 games per season, which may not come at a suitable time in relation to first team fixtures/injuries, which means a playing a weakened team with a lot of U18s in it. That can be OK on an occasional basis, but if it becomes a regular thing then it puts a strain on the system.
It used to be more of an issue when it was a reserve league, when we often ended up playing 7-8 of our U18s against opposition teams with the same number of first team players, which was of no use to anyone.
Not being in a league allows the club to arrange opposition of a suitable standard to the XI we are looking to put out, which then gives a more meaningful game/test.

Was he born there, or does he have an uncle from Bulgaria?

?.

He was born in Bulgaria, came to the UK with his family 5/6 years according to the report in the Oxford Mail when he signed his pro contract.

Not sure if its been mentioned elsewhere but Slavi Spasov has returned from his long injury lay off with a couple of goals. For me thats up there with the best of the positive news weve received lately.

There was an u18s v bristol rovers u18s mdt of sorts on saturday....but belt n braces never hurt @yellowbow ;-)

Back
Top Bottom