EPL Sky sports coverage of the EFL

oufc1991

Why do sky say they are covering the EFL when really they are only interested in the championship I wish someone like Amazon or BT would by the rights for league one and two at least that way those leagues would get proper coverage

Saturday 7th August 2021
Charlton Athletic v Sheffield Wednesday
League One
17:30
Sky Sports Football

Monday 6th September 2021
Portsmouth v Plymouth Argyle
League One
19:45
Sky Sports Football

Saturday 7th August 2021
League One
Sky Sports Football

League One
Sky Sports Football
Yea but how many championships matches from tonight- 6th sept 12 championship- 2 league one

Saturday 7th August 2021
League One
Sky Sports Football

League One
Sky Sports Football
Guessing Saturday 4th September is an international break then, that's usually the only reason they dip as low as us for TV games.

They show all midweek Championship games on the red button too, so fans don't have to pay for iFollow coverage.

Not many people are, that’s why there is a lack of tv coverage. I doubt coverage of league one and two games, apart from the play offs which they show, gains sky many subscribers so I suppose they won’t waste money on live coverage.

As low as us is one thing, but Pompey and Plymouth is a whole other level!!

The Dockyard derby isn't it though. As long as they don't show us v Wycombe or v Cheltenham and claim they are our arch rivals lol.

The Dockyard derby isn't it though. As long as they don't show us v Wycombe or v Cheltenham and claim they are our arch rivals lol.

Don’t forget the Varsity Derby

I quite enjoyed that Bournemouth v West Brom game. Entertaining 2-2 draw.

Not many people are, that’s why there is a lack of tv coverage. I doubt coverage of league one and two games, apart from the play offs which they show, gains sky many subscribers so I suppose they won’t waste money on live coverage.
Well you say that but women's football gets plonked on BBC 1 at 8pm on a Saturday night sometimes...

You'd think there would be space on any of Sky Sports' 400 sports channels - if they just put us on where "The Premier League Years - 1998/1999" re-runs normally sit, they'd be able to cover us all.

No self-respecting EFL fan should have a Sky subscription, mind, but that's a whole different debate.

I just think sky’s coverage of lower league football is P**s poor and when they do show live games they hardly know what they are talking about anything lower than championship is alien to them but as someone pointed out there just isn’t the commercial benefit

Wall to Wall Football virtual 24/7 has something to do with this, where you once looked forward too or at least watched a game on tv because there were not many, now it's saturated and other than the so called glamour clubs there is simply not a wide audience for it.

I found myself watching less and less football and where there was a time i would tune in for say Forest v Qpr now i simply don't have the interest or inclination to watch.
The Championship is only hyped because of the Golden Rainbow that lay at the end of it and this is again why football stopped being a sport because it's all about money.

Leagues 1 and 2 simply have no pull as let's be blunt who really would bother to watch games like Scunthorpe v Barrow other than their own fans and that's why when they do bother to show games they are often the Bigger clubs who have fallen from grace because there will be more Pompey or Wednesday fans tuning in than in the above example.

Think of it this way, if there was not a tv blackout for 3pm games where would the higher viewing figures be.

For what it's worth it's not too difficult to watch any game of your choice there are always plenty of streams out in cyber space.

Why do sky say they are covering the EFL when really they are only interested in the championship I wish someone like Amazon or BT would by the rights for league one and two at least that way those leagues would get proper coverage
There would be limited interest and I would imagine that the EFL's contract with Sky would prevent it. Sky, BT etc don't give a toss about the lower leagues but they don't want anyone else having the rights which ,even if only marginally, would compete with their product.

What a lot of you seem to have forgotten is that Sky Bet are the primary sponsors of the EFL. The Sky organisation pumps a lot of money into the sport as a whole. We may not appreciate their patronising coverage and apparent disdain at lower league football but, without them we would be a lot worse off.

Back
Top Bottom