Sizing up the Competition

Mintyshoe

With the run-in to Deadline Day approaching we can start to size up the competition in the 2018-19 League One.

Top 5 Teams (on paper):
Barnsley
Braford
Charlton
Peterborough (Likely to lose Marriott and Maddison)
Sunderland (Likely to offload more high earners; haven't been too impressed with transfers so far)

Top Signings:
Jack Payne, Sean Scannell (Bradford)
David Templeton (Burton)
Sonny Bradley, Jorge Grant (Luton)
Samir Carruthers, Luke Garbutt, Gavin Whyte (Oxford)
Mark O'Hara, Jason Cummings, Matt Godden (Peterborough)

Add anyone else you think is a good signing, or new activity as it arises.

Depending on how the rest of the window unfolds I think us and Luton have a chance of crashing that top 5.

I’d be surprised if Sunderland didn’t finish either 1st or 2nd

Bradford look strong

Peterborough have spent a bit of money

Barnsley you’d expect to finish in the top 6 but haven’t made a signing yet plus Bradshaw & Moore there 2 main strikers wanting out could change things there

Charlton will be in around the playoffs

Hope Luton aren’t but could see them challenging for a playoff place

Scunthorpe are always seem to get a playoff place but lost a few decent players this summer

Portsmouth or Plymouth maybe

I'm not do sure about Sunderland. Many have left, and it's likely that more will follow. Those who have been brought in don't look promotion quality, and those that remain have had 2 years of failure. I'm sure there will be plenty more business still to happen but they may not be the force that many feared.

Once Peterborough have Maddison and Marriott shifted for big money to Championship clubs, they'll have almost an entirely new squad to gel together for the new season. That's a big ask in my view.

Plymouth did a lot of business, but early on. I reckon they'll be playoff candidates.

I’m expecting Pompey to challenge, along with Charlton, Barnsley and Sunderland. Plymouth and Peterborough have signed so many it’s hard to say if they’ll be top three or not. I put us in with a shout of the play offs alongside Luton. That’s my top eight but in no particular order.

I suspect Sunnerland will have a slow start, but once everything settles there, they should win the league quite easily. Lots of must win matches and few excuses over the wages they've paid out as soon as the season starts.

Top six:
Barnsley
Bradford
Sunderland
Pompey
Scunthorpe
Coventry

Bottom 4:
Shrewsbury
Accrington
Rochdale
Fleetwood

Luton will finish in the top 3. Kills me but they will. They were superb last season attacking wise, have a midfield with goals in them plus added Grant, & have bought a standout L1 defender from last season.

Top sides will be:

Portsmouth
Plymouth
Luton
Bradford
Sunderland
Coventry
Barnsley
Charlton

Luton will finish in the top 3. Kills me but they will. They were superb last season attacking wise, have a midfield with goals in them plus added Grant, & have bought a standout L1 defender from last season.

I bet it would hurt you more if you were to suggest we might have a good season this year and have so far brought in some excellent players.

Once Peterborough have Maddison and Marriott shifted for big money to Championship clubs, they'll have almost an entirely new squad to gel together for the new season. That's a big ask in my view.

Plymouth did a lot of business, but early on. I reckon they'll be playoff candidates.

I have a feeling Peterborough have spent/adjusted their budget in lieu of losing Maddison/Marriott for considerable fees already.

They seem to be spending a few fees and have signed some high earners.

FWIW, outside my list of 'on paper' top teams, I feel the two promoted clubs - Luton and Coventry - could well finish top 3!

POS TEAM
1 Charlton
2 Sunderland
3 Rochdale
4 Barnsley
5 Portsmouth
6 Luton
7 Shrewsbury
8 Oxford Utd
9 Coventry
10 Bristol Rovers
11 Scunthorpe
12 Peterborough
13 Bradford
14 Walsall
15 Plymouth
16 Fleetwood
17 Wycombe
18 Burton
19 Gillinham
20 Southend
21 Accrington
22 Doncaster
23 AFC Wimbledon
24 Blackpool

Last edited by a moderator:
POS TEAM
1 Charlton
2 Sunderland
3 Rochdale
4 Barnsley
5 Portsmouth
6 Luton
7 Shrewsbury
8 Oxford Utd
9 Coventry
10 Bristol Rovers
11 Scunthorpe
12 Peterborough
13 Bradford
14 Walsall
15 Plymouth
16 Fleetwood
17 Wycombe
18 Burton
20 Southend
22 Doncaster
23 AFC Wimbledon
24 Blackpool

Rochdale! Do you know something we dont??

Also expect Shrewsbury's freak season to be exactly that. They've lost quite a few players.

Blackpool are a decent team and expect them to be challenging playoffs.

POS TEAM
1 Charlton
2 Sunderland
3 Rochdale
4 Barnsley
5 Portsmouth
6 Luton
7 Shrewsbury
8 Oxford Utd
9 Coventry
10 Bristol Rovers
11 Scunthorpe
12 Peterborough
13 Bradford
14 Walsall
15 Plymouth
16 Fleetwood
17 Wycombe
18 Burton
20 Southend
22 Doncaster
23 AFC Wimbledon
24 Blackpool

What happened to Gillingham and Accrington?

I have a feeling Peterborough have spent/adjusted their budget in lieu of losing Maddison/Marriott for considerable fees already.

They seem to be spending a few fees and have signed some high earners.

FWIW, outside my list of 'on paper' top teams, I feel the two promoted clubs - Luton and Coventry - could well finish top 3!

Issue with Coventry is that they've sold their 20 goal a season striker. They could replace him, but if they were overreliant on him last season, then it's difficult to say what sort of team they'll be this year.

Back
Top Bottom