National News Sir Keir Starmer

Good...I'm glad to hear it. I take back my criticism, based on earlier reporting, whilst recognising that Professor Witty himself acknowledged that there is a debate "raging" (his word) in the scientific community over the 12 week gap. The efficacy is basically reliant on the virus ability to mutate sufficiently in the 12 week interim to render the second dose ineffective. So it is a gamble because nobody knows for sure, but one where the odds are stacked in our favour that enough people will be protected.

That said they also acknowledge that the more you vaccinate, the more it effectively forces the virus to evolve and we may need many more variants/newly developed vaccines to make it effective for all. I think I'm right in saying that the further good news is that because it is a mRNA vaccine, it makes this much easier to modify to deal with mutations... but I may have misunderstood....
No, your spot .

The Government has got very lucky that Oxford has saved the day, can you imagine the social unrest if we were entering a third lockdown with no vaccine in sight - shudder!

We should be awarded automatic promotion as a reward and have a team of our choice relegated.

Labour Party 2010-present = Conservative Party 1997-2005.

Divided and bickering amongst themselves as the other lot get on with it. The Corbyistas throw shade on Starmer at every opportunity whilst explaining away all of Corbyn’s faults as down to the ‘MSM’ (‘mainstream’ being one word) or Blairite types. They fail to see that their dear leader has lost two elections for them now.

Thankfully if Starmer avoids the weirdos on social media and has some of his policies impact the red wall again he may have a chance. Scotland looks lost to the SNP however and visibility across GB is needed. Certainly MPs not behaving themselves doesn’t help.

At least she apologised unlike Robert Jenrick. :)

After she got caught trying to dodge the declaration....

Her court case is next month...I`m detecting a theme.

We got rid of one crook and Labour parachuted in another.

After she got caught trying to dodge the declaration....

Her court case is next month...I`m detecting a theme.

We got rid of one crook and Labour parachuted in another.

I wasn't being entirely serious. At least she is facing some disciplinary action of whatever type, Jenrick kept his job.

• React
Reactions: QR
"Further, by the time of the national lockdown I had not yet appointed anything close to a full complement of staff consequently my own workload was huge and I was working seven days a week with less than 4 hours’ sleep a day and still learning all the rules and workings of parliament."

Well if she obviously can`t cope with the "demands" of being an MP, as well as a part time Islington councillor, maybe she should seek alternative employment...

Seems to find enough time to tweet about Indian farmers protests... one for @QR to "follow"...

Labour Party 2010-present = Conservative Party 1997-2005.

Divided and bickering amongst themselves as the other lot get on with it. The Corbyistas throw shade on Starmer at every opportunity whilst explaining away all of Corbyn’s faults as down to the ‘MSM’ (‘mainstream’ being one word) or Blairite types. They fail to see that their dear leader has lost two elections for them now.

Thankfully if Starmer avoids the weirdos on social media and has some of his policies impact the red wall again he may have a chance. Scotland looks lost to the SNP however and visibility across GB is needed. Certainly MPs not behaving themselves doesn’t help.
The problem for Starmer with the first past the post system is that he'll have to sell his soul to the devil in order to have any chance of winning. Oh for proportional representation where politicians can stand for what they really believe (if they choose to! ).

The problem for Starmer with the first past the post system is that he'll have to sell his soul to the devil in order to have any chance of winning. Oh for proportional representation where politicians can stand for what they really believe (if they choose to! ).

Genuine PR is what we need, unfortunately it`ll be a long way off after the AV debacle.
I doubt I`ll see it in my lifetime.

Genuine PR is what we need, unfortunately it`ll be a long way off after the AV debacle.
I doubt I`ll see it in my lifetime.
The only problems I can see with pure PR (which I'd be in favour of) are 1) it makes it impossible for an independent to stand, and 2) How do the people vote out a specific MP if they aren't tied to a particular seat.

The only problems I can see with pure PR (which I'd be in favour of) are 1) it makes it impossible for an independent to stand, and 2) How do the people vote out a specific MP if they aren't tied to a particular seat.

And that is where PR sadly fails.

I came up with a system that partly tackled these issues and also allowed an element of local responsibility that the pure system wouldn't.

If you group the current 650 constituencies into groups of five then you have 130 zones returning 5 MP s based on the proportion of the combined vote in that zone. In this way a party (or independent) only needs to secure 20% of the vote to get a seat.

In addition, voters also get to rank the nominees from (just) the party they voted for, with the most popular among voters getting elected as opposed to the order the party wanted.

With five MPs per area, people will generally have at least one of their own political leanings and/or known reputation for fighting for their constituents to go to with any issues rather than potentially being stuck with someone who doesn't represent their views and/or care.

Last edited:
Oh, because MPs being a local resident is good! Many always voted with the government irrespective of local interest.

Back
Top Bottom