Simon Grayson

Mellowyellow

Oxbible is convinced that it is a matter of sorting the contract length etc, and we will have him as manager. He has turned down 2 offers,, but his reliable source insists its only a matter of time.

Oxford to make him a third offer? The whole squad on their knees before him, begging him to accept?

This sounds like nonesense...

From what I've read of Grayson, despite his great CV, he isn't the man, at this time, for the job.

Oxford to make him a third offer? The whole squad on their knees before him, begging him to accept?

This sounds like nonesense...

From what I've read of Grayson, despite his great CV, he isn't the man, at this time, for the job.

Why do you think he is not the right man?
Pray that it isn’t the Fax/Allen show for two long, we cannot gamble with our division 1 status, with neither having experience, and being part of the clotet debarcle.

Last edited:
My only concern over greyson, and it might not even be one. Is he the type of manager that will play the youth and bring then them through, as while his cv is impressive at this level, if he’s not going to do that then he doesn’t really fit with what we’re trying to do. And mark warbourton becomes the better candidate

Whoever it is gets a deal until the end of the season with an option to extend/renew. If they are doing a good job and it fits with what the club wants then fine, if not, adios mark 2.

Whoever it is gets a deal until the end of the season with an option to extend/renew. If they are doing a good job and it fits with what the club wants then fine, if not, adios mark 2.

Sadly good managers with options (which is surely what we want) don't take contracts like that. They'd be on a hiding to nothing with little time to affect real change and no window to work with.

And why would any half decent candidate accept those terms?

I'll answer for you, they wouldn't

Sadly good managers with options (which is surely what we want) don't take contracts like that. They'd be on a hiding to nothing with little time to affect real change and no window to work with.

So we just go ahead and hire someone and give them carte blanche to cock it up again? Clothead was the next big thing and look what that's done for us.

So we just go ahead and hire someone and give them carte blanche to cock it up again? Clothead was the next big thing and look what that's done for us.

So may one enquire what you anticipate/expect from a manager coming to a club sat comfortably in mid table for the remainder of the season?

Not at all wishful thinking, but maybe nobody is coming in and Faz will keep things ticking over until MApp can be convinced to come back.

That’s the gamble u take appointing any manager. The more u do ur research, hold a decent interview process and appoint someone who fits with what ur trying to do, the less likely it’s a problem.

Pep looked a good appointment as he was a highly regarded coach, maybe more emphasis should have been made in the interview that players would be signed on model rather than own choices. There again we didn’t have to agree to them.

If u want to appoint a manager that’s going to grow with u and meet our ambition, then u have to match that with what u offer them. A deal till the end of the season won’t attract greyson or warburton as they know they can get better, it won’t attract cowley or Nolan as who would give up what they are doing for 3 months work. They also have no chance to stamp their mark in 3 months without a transfer window.

2 year deal with agreed increases and extensions if targets are met

So may one enquire what you anticipate/expect from a manager coming to a club sat comfortably in mid table for the remainder of the season?
One may.
Entertaining football played by a team that is engaged and displaying a desire to win and be successful.
As to being "sat comfortably in mid-table" I think that is an illusion. Repeating the performances of recent would see us drifting ever closer to the relegation zone.

As Dave pointed out it's nothing to do with giving them 'carte blanche'

It's about if you refuse to give anything longer than a 6 month contract then the only managers going to be interested are those desperate to get back into work

The likes of Warburton, Lampard and Grayson are all unlikely to come here anyway no matter what we offer, if we give them 6 months and restrict their transfer dealings then we have no chance of any one like that coming in

One may.
Entertaining football played by a team that is engaged and displaying a desire to win and be successful.
As to being "sat comfortably in mid-table" I think that is an illusion. Repeating the performances of recent would see us drifting ever closer to the relegation zone.

if i understood you correctly, you would be ok/prefer a short term appointment ? even if that happened you still have to make a Long Term decision on that person or a n other come the summer.

Whoever comes on whatever length of contract is a gamble to an extent anyway right?

One may.

You would expect that immediately? It would be achievement to come in and get anything like that by the start of next season, took Appleton a whole season at a lower level to do it.

Oxbible is convinced that it is a matter of sorting the contract length etc, and we will have him as manager. He has turned down 2 offers,, but his reliable source insists its only a matter of time.

When you say he’s turned down two offers does that mean by us or from two other clubs?

You would expect that immediately? It would be achievement to come in and get anything like that by the start of next season, took Appleton a whole season at a lower level to do it.
I would expect it. The team has players who should deliver. The new, youthful players brought in should be able to deliver their part towards a rejuvenated team. I am of the belief that clothead tactically got things wrong. He brought in players with no pace. That pace is, potentially, back. Given that Chrissie Allen has more influence alongside Faz we should expect better performances. We are not going to get promoted this season but at least we should be able to expect some decent entertainment?

And why shouldn't the club play hard ball with managers? Why should we allow them to dictate? You want a job? Show us that you have what we want. Why go cap in hand to every Tom Dick and Harry?

Back
Top Bottom