Current Player #13 Simon Eastwood

Jack has been remarkable since he replaced Simon. This will not have gone unnoticed by clubs higher up the pyramid and I will not be surprised to see Jack get snapped up over the summer for good money that the board hardly expected before the start of this season. SE will likely be back between the sticks in August as our No. 1.
No chance. You’ve got more chance of waking up with an asshole on your elbow..

I agree you have to be careful to not let sentiment get in the way of decision making but people are generally too quick to write players off, almost as quickly as they are to elevate them to hero status.
JS has been excellent so far but he hasn't had to negotiate a really bad spell for the team or himself personally so that's something that will happen at some point and how he handles that will be key for his progress. It would be good to have SE in the mix should the need arise and to bridge the gap whilst we find a replacement youngster worthy enough to step up into JS's old shoes.

Family settled in Oxfordshire? I thought they moved after his Mrs was flogging the furniture on Facebook?

An experienced keeper and I’d like to think he’s on a reduced wage now. Doesn’t mean we won’t see him depart early and while he is here I’m sure he’s a good head to have around camp.

I would bet that there is a commitment from us to help him get coaching badges in the contract and a lower wage. Easty is smart, and he'll know he's at a point where he needs to look beyond his career as a player. Settled family, club who loves him and have already shown we care about our players after the game, works for everyone involved. I have no inside info mind, purely speculation based on what I'd want both as a club and a player!

See my post of March 11th. Jack Stevens is on several clubs radar. Signing Easty for another 3 years seems very strange.

Makes sense. Jack is number 1 goalie. Club are happy to have Eastwood as backup. Realistically what other goalie are we going to get in better than Eastwood as backup.

Only argument would be what wages are the club paying Eastwood to be backup.

It’s the length of it I find interesting. One or even two years I’d understand but a third takes him to 35. Goalkeepers are still capable at that age of course however a three year deal to be playing second fiddle to someone else? Seems odd.

I can only presume the deal is a much reduced one and Eastwood has settled on job security instead of potentially fighting to get a better deal elsewhere and uprooting the family from Casa Eastwood.

Only way I can see it make sense if he has taken a pay cut and happy to be the number 2, which is possible as he isn’t super young any more and it’s peace of mind for him I suppose

If he can get close to his form of 2/3 years ago he’s the best backup around

It’s the length of it I find interesting. One or even two years I’d understand but a third takes him to 35. Goalkeepers are still capable at that age of course however a three year deal to be playing second fiddle to someone else? Seems odd.

I can only presume the deal is a much reduced one and Eastwood has settled on job security instead of potentially fighting to get a better deal elsewhere and uprooting the family from Casa Eastwood.
That's what makes sense to me. Realistically, what club, local to Oxford, is going to take Easty on given his recent performances and give him a decent wage and potentially fund coaching badges? This seems to be what works best for both player and club. I know he said in his interview he wants to compete for the no.1 shirt, but surely he knows his time as a no.1 at this level is limited no matter where he goes?

Surprising with the length, but I think the people equating this to Stevens leaving are adding two with two and getting five. It makes sense to keep him as he's an experienced head in the dressing room and a solid enough backup, but if the manager doesn't have enough confidence in him to start games ahead of an inexperienced (yet talented) Stevens, then why would he have confidence in him to become the number one keeper again if Jack leaves?

When Robinson spoke about Stevens after Monday’s game he said something like ‘Stevens and Eastwood are pushing each other to both be better keepers’ I thought then that Eastwood must still be very much in his plans.

Another too good to turn down, couldn't stand in his way coming up perhaps:unsure:

Surprising with the length, but I think the people equating this to Stevens leaving are adding two with two and getting five. It makes sense to keep him as he's an experienced head in the dressing room and a solid enough backup, but if the manager doesn't have enough confidence in him to start games ahead of an inexperienced (yet talented) Stevens, then why would he have confidence in him to become the number one keeper again if Jack leaves?
.aybe an offer for Jack is being prepared for Jack and an offer we can't refuse and having Easty who isn't a bad keeper just didn't have a great season when he was dropped for Jack

That's what makes sense to me. Realistically, what club, local to Oxford, is going to take Easty on given his recent performances and give him a decent wage and potentially fund coaching badges? This seems to be what works best for both player and club. I know he said in his interview he wants to compete for the no.1 shirt, but surely he knows his time as a no.1 at this level is limited no matter where he goes?
umm well if that is the case you wouldn't want such a person in your squad would you? if he is not thought good enough then what happens if/when he needs to stand in.

I expect Simon Eastwood along with Wayne Brown will be fantastic in developing Jack Stevens to his next level. I for one think its excellent to have Simon Eastwood on board and I expect he'll be looking longer term in his coaching career. It seems a win win situation for all to me

I know he said in his interview he wants to compete for the no.1 shirt, but surely he knows his time as a no.1 at this level is limited no matter where he goes?
I bet he doesn't!
We know that he can be an excellent keeper at this level.
He has had a very poor season, but are you suggesting that he can't get over that dip in form?
I am very surprised by the length of the contract. Like others I can only assume that it is on reduced terms, helping with his coaching qualifications.

Back
Top Bottom