General Simon Eastwood wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
We desperately need a free agent to step up to keep goal. JS is too prone to making errors, and even one error is what we can ill afford in our league games especially, to throw away what we've achieved this season.

You really dont like Stevens do you? Which matches have you seen him play that make you think hes more error prone than Eastwood?

I think hes more than suitable as cover for a couple of months pending Eastwood's injury but as you say I dont think KR has the faith in him he deserves.

I'm willing to bet that if Eastwood is out for more than 2 weeks, OUFC will sign another Keeper to cover.

Yes the club will sign another keeper as cover. That is obvious but my reply was more pointing out that we already have a long term replacement to Eastwood in Stevens.

We desperately need a free agent to step up to keep goal. JS is too prone to making errors, and even one error is what we can ill afford in our league games especially, to throw away what we've achieved this season.
On reasonably good authority I heard some time ago that KR doesn't have a great deal of faith in JS, which is why Mitchell came in so quickly last time Eastwood was injured.

Mitchell didn’t really work out too well though did he... I’d rather Stevens had played tbh given how poor he was

On reasonably good authority I heard some time ago that KR doesn't have a great deal of faith in JS, which is why Mitchell came in so quickly last time Eastwood was injured.
Let’s hope that if a keeper does come in that this time, our manager can resist claiming “he’s not my goalkeeper” the second he makes a mistake.

?

This just shows the foolhardiness of allowing Eastwood to dictate that he should play as many games as he is available for (because he spent so much of his career on the bench at his various clubs). I assume he’ll be moving back ‘up norf’ in the summer so maybe a good replacement should be purchased in January.

Yes the club will sign another keeper as cover. That is obvious but my reply was more pointing out that we already have a long term replacement to Eastwood in Stevens.
OK I am willing to bet that Stevens will not be the long term replacement for Eastwood.

So pissed off with the tackle made on Eastwood causing this injury as it was clear that their player was never going to get to the ball, but still clattered into Eastwood meaning he would land awkwardly.
no action taken by the inexperienced referee either, was there?

I assume KR didn't have faith in Scott Shearer?

This just shows the foolhardiness of allowing Eastwood to dictate that he should play as many games as he is available for

How does it show that?

Don’t most ‘keepers play most games?

Doesn’t it actually merely show that the tackle on him was appalling?

• React
Reactions: m
How does it show that?

Don’t most ‘keepers play most games?

Doesn’t it actually merely show that the tackle on him was appalling?

What I mean is that by, effectively, limiting Jack Stevens’ appearances he hasn’t gained as much experience. Jack should have played in more of the ‘less important’ (generally cup) games. Consequently our only back up keeper is very inexperienced.

What I mean is that by, effectively, limiting Jack Stevens’ appearances he hasn’t gained as much experience. Jack should have played in more of the ‘less important’ (generally cup) games. Consequently our only back up keeper is very inexperienced.

Ah, take your point entirely. Bang on!

IIRC Shearer was employed with an eye for coaching despite still being on the playing staff and actively dissuaded KR from playing him.
I get what your saying, but makes no sense either your a reserve keeper or not, I appreciate as a reserve goalie it's unlikely much game time, but should the time come you must be able to step up no?

Also would raise the issue of what to do when Eastwood returns. I'd imagine Archer would want to remain first choice

Presumably if we're signing someone who's OOC, there's no particular restrictions on how long that contract would be?

We could sign Archer - or someone similar - on a short-term, month-long deal that would take us up to the January window.

If they turn out to be awesome, maybe they earn a contract for the rest of the season and genuinely push Eastwood, when he's back, for the jersey.
If they turn out to be not awesome, then we can bring in someone else on loan then.

And, of course, this all pre-supposes that Stevens doesn't impress over the next couple of games. If he does, then there's no issue.

I get what your saying, but makes no sense either your a reserve keeper or not, I appreciate as a reserve goalie it's unlikely much game time, but should the time come you must be able to step up no?

Goalkeepers tend to improve/mature a bit later in their career, so may be Stevens just isn’t quite there at the moment. It’s also difficult to find decent keepers who are prepared to sit on the bench week in, week out, especially if they’re at the peak of their career, hence why Stevens is good cover if needed short term.

Goalkeepers need to give a calming/reassuring feeling to the defenders which Eastwood provides in abundance, again down to experience/time.

I’m sure Stevens’ time will come e.g. tonight etc, but I think a more experienced keeper is needed over the longer term e.g. 4-8 weeks if required.

I have to say if I was Jack Stevens and was not given the chance to prove myself if be pretty hacked off. He has to take the chance though. Keeper or outfield player when a teams playing as well as ours is you do have to grab the chance when it comes, I hope Jack does just that.

If we do get another keeper in short term they will have to be on a free so would not have been training/playing regularly. Got to give Jack his chance and this experience will be vital for him longer term which with Easty poss going in the summer could solve a massive problem .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom