Current Player #13 Simon Eastwood

He may be short of the mark by approximately 149 appearances - but the obvious choice for me and it’s a no-brainer really as the guy had it all - Hubert Busby Jnr.

• React
Reactions: m
Seen them all apart from Jim Barron, Roy Burton for me, just never looked like a professional sportsman but boy did he have some reflexes... Would probably have played in Division 1 (as it was back then) if only he could sort out his shorts elastic...
for me Jimmy Barron shades it as OUFC all time best keeper, Roy Burton a close 2nd

Other glovemen I rated included Tony Parks, Paul Gerrard, Chris Tardif, Andy Woodman.

Not particularly enamoured by Richard Knight, Andre Arendse, John Milkins, John Butcher, David Brown, John Keeley, Paul Reece, Paul Kee,
Benjamin Buchel and Sam Slocombe.

I still remember that save by Paul Gerrard at Sheff Utd.

Other glovemen I rated included Tony Parks, Paul Gerrard, Chris Tardif, Andy Woodman.

Not particularly enamoured by Richard Knight, Andre Arendse, John Milkins, John Butcher, David Brown, John Keeley, Paul Reece, Paul Kee,
Benjamin Buchel and Sam Slocombe.
/
agree re Parks, though he was on loan only wasnt he?, & Tardif..... disagree re Paul Reece .... that Derby away 1-0 win, he was on loan i think, our goal was under siege most of the televised game , Reecey single handedly kept Derby out ( johnny lager smash n grabbed the winner if memory serves?)... was signed permanently straight after that game .... for a short a**e Reecey was a damn good shot stopper.... another Reecey game that has stuck in my mind was a nightgame at the manor, v pompey (i think) we were 3 or 4 nil down at half time (i think! - memory on autopilot today!), ended up coming back to draw (i think 5-5? ) ....reccey asked the ref how long is left when we were 1 goal behind, one min the ref told him, he punted the ball up towards the cuckoo lane end, with seconds on the clock the might Us equalised

Ken 'the tree'Vasey was a decent keeper too ( came back to the Manor a few years after he left OUFC,) playing for Dorchester (town?) in the FA Cup .... all time home record win that day , the Us put 9 past him.... coming out for the second half Ken Vasey was wearing an OUFC bobble hat which he threw to the London Road end

Harry Fernley is the first Keeper I can remember playing for the U's.... among other 'achievements' ( I was an anklebiter in those days)He kept the then mighty Blackburn rovers with a number of internationals limited to just 1 goal in that famous fa cup giant killing in fa cup at the manor ,

Was only talking about that Pompey game yesterday, we were 0-3 after about 25mins, then 1-4, then 2-5, before scoring twice in stoppage time to draw it 5-5. Pompey missed out on promotion to the top flight that season by 1 point, Jim Smith was managing them.

I first saw Oxford in 1964. Couldn't tell you who the 'keeper was then. But I remember Jim Barron. He was so good, he was transferred to Nottingham Forest. Then I remember Roy (gone for a) Burton. What a goalkeeper! Him, Dave Roberts and Hughie Curran in the same team! Roy was the B*****s, but Clint Eastwood is really good, isn't he! Oh, god! I still remember John (Harry) Milkins! Actually, he wasn't that bad, either!

Paul Gerrard might only have been on loan but my word, what a goalkeeper he was. Those handful of games were stellar. A real top class goalkeeper. I think people forget how good he was - one of the finest English keepers at the time. Can’t believe he never achieved more than he did.

Phil Whitehead, though, was the finest Oxford goalkeeper I personally saw by miles. At least in terms of those who actually belonged to us.

Later, our little group of ten or so, started standing near the away fans, in the Osler Road stand. Soon, loads of fans used to join us! Happy days!

Going so I hear. That’s from two different people as well.
Bit disappointing if true but there are a lot of good Keepers about so getting a replacement won’t be difficult I wouldn’t have thought.

Going so I hear. That’s from two different people as well.
Bit disappointing if true but there are a lot of good Keepers about so getting a replacement won’t be difficult I wouldn’t have thought.
I'm not too disappointed if true, I think he's made a number of mistakes recently. Ingram for me who wants away from QPR and I hear may be going back to Wycombe, surely we would be more attractive.

Back
Top Bottom