Current Player #13 Simon Eastwood

Surely Jack Stevens should be playing this game, don't see the point risking Easty when he's not fully fit
Especially now the world (or more specifically Bury) knows that Eastwood is struggling.
We should give these young goalkeepers a chance in the earlier rounds, so that they are better prepared to step in for games like this -
Same happened to Crocombe, when he was #2 for a whole system, but Eastwood played every minute of every game,

What is the point of having all those goalkeepers on the books if we can't trust any of them to play in the Mickey Mouse cup.

b8f2a4986d504ba94a029a1dc6bf00f7.gif

*tin foil hat on*
We need the prize money desperately to pay for taxes and/or new signing(s), and so KR is having to risk Eastwood

We have no cash so are reduced to looking at players who KR has worked with before playing lower leagues abroad. A strategy originally brought in by Pep, and yet to prove itself. You pay peanuts..... I assume given their general level of fitness they don't have to do the run before signing :) Beggars can't be choosers though and that's how it is at the moment.

We have no cash so are reduced to looking at players who KR has worked with before playing lower leagues abroad. A strategy originally brought in by Pep, and yet to prove itself. You pay peanuts..... I assume given their general level of fitness they don't have to do the run before signing :) Beggars can't be choosers though and that's how it is at the moment.

When did Skykes and Graham play for KR abroad?

Which one of Eastwood or Stevens has played abroad or for Robinson before? - confused!

If Easty is out for a significant amount of time, then we have really had some bad luck with injuries this season.

That’s not KR fault. It happens, but boy have we had more than our fair share.

It is when you bring in players that are being nursed back from injury or are injury prone. Not matter how you dress it up last summers player recruitment was a f*****g disaster.

Well, we didn’t sign a player last summer because he refused to run. Makes me wonder how bad he must have been when we see what we actually ended up signing!

Same for me - never saw Jim Barron as too young !

Burton had one or two weaknesses despite his brilliant agility and reflexes ; he was around 5 ft 9’” and could not kick a ball !

Easty probably as good as I have seen overall. He’s calm and assured and could play at a higher level. Good all round ‘keeper.

775 votes cast at the moment:

Burton - 23%
Whitehead - 21%
Clarke - 16%
Eastwood - 15%
Barron - 12%
Turley - 7%
Hardwick - 6%

Thought Phil Whitehead was very solid, no obvious weaknesses. However he did have the benefit of playing a lot of games with Matt Elliott and Phil Gilchrist in front of him! What a pair they were.
First keeper i knew at United so i had to vote for him, although Clarkey was a close second

The voting as posted above is pretty much how I'd rank them (excluding Barron as I never saw him) apart from I'd put Hardwick above Turley.

I thought Roy Burton was the best shot stopper we have ever had.
Hardwick was the best organiser of a back four.
Part of the reason we did so well is that Hardwick was constantly on at his defence. Always talking. Not the best keeper, but the most organised.
Whitehead was the best all around keeper we have ever had imo. Eastwood not far behind.
And just to be controversial and all that...
Pal Lundin (this is not a joke) was technically one of the best keepers I have seen at the club. He played in old Division Two, was comfortably at that level, but clearly had not the slightest interest.
And our worst keeper? Ignoring the one game wonders (eg Mike Salmon)...#2 on my list was Paul Kee, shockingly clumsy NI international. And my all time #1 in worst ever OUFC keeper....Richard Knight. Loads of people will disagree with me, but I thought he was absolutely hopeless. He was a shot stopper not a keeper. Admittedly he had a dreadful back four in front of him, but his positional sense was zero, he was shocking at crosses and organisationally useless. I have had several arguments about him with OUFC supporters over the years, and always point out that after he left us, he never played in League football again....

I thought Roy Burton was the best shot stopper we have ever had.
Hardwick was the best organiser of a back four.
Part of the reason we did so well is that Hardwick was constantly on at his defence. Always talking. Not the best keeper, but the most organised.
Whitehead was the best all around keeper we have ever had imo. Eastwood not far behind.
And just to be controversial and all that...
Pal Lundin (this is not a joke) was technically one of the best keepers I have seen at the club. He played in old Division Two, was comfortably at that level, but clearly had not the slightest interest.
And our worst keeper? Ignoring the one game wonders (eg Mike Salmon)...#2 on my list was Paul Kee, shockingly clumsy NI international. And my all time #1 in worst ever OUFC keeper....Richard Knight. Loads of people will disagree with me, but I thought he was absolutely hopeless. He was a shot stopper not a keeper. Admittedly he had a dreadful back four in front of him, but his positional sense was zero, he was shocking at crosses and organisationally useless. I have had several arguments about him with OUFC supporters over the years, and always point out that after he left us, he never played in League football again....

A fair summary of those on the list, although can't say about Roy Burton as I never saw him. If we are including players that played under 150 games then Alan Judge has to be included as well.

Overall, it would have to be Phil Whitehead

In agreement with a previous post, Hardwick was clearly better than Billy Turley. Simply, Hardwick played at a far higher level including the top flight, something Billy Turley (who I liked as a player for us) never got near.

Other glovemen I rated included Tony Parks, Paul Gerrard, Chris Tardif, Andy Woodman.

Not particularly enamoured by Richard Knight, Andre Arendse, John Milkins, John Butcher, David Brown, John Keeley, Paul Reece, Paul Kee,
Benjamin Buchel and Sam Slocombe.

Back
Top Bottom