General Stadium Petition - Signatures Needed

I thought we’d have much more signatures by now tbh

A lot of people I've spoken to don't understand why we need a petition as it hasn't been refused. Normally petitions get high numbers when change is needed or a decision has been made that they dont agree with.

To bump this again, the latest count is...
1642417952678.png

A lot of people I've spoken to don't understand why we need a petition as it hasn't been refused. Normally petitions get high numbers when change is needed or a decision has been made that they dont agree with.
I would strongly suggest that would be the wrong way to go about it. Showing our support now is key to getting the process through the vital first stages and beyond. There will be plenty of people offering negative responses and it's important the relevant parties know that both supporters of the club and people around the county are behind this move. If we allow this to get to a stage where it is refused (possibly due to a perceived lack of support) then we make our job infinitely harder. A precedent is set with councillors and planners and it will encourage those with doubts to continue pressing to have the project scrapped. For what it is worth, and in my experience, it is always better to make your case early and clearly, rather than wait until you are struggling to overturn a decision against you.

Despite having attended OUFC matches since 1975, I haven't signed the petition. I'm not opposed to a move away from Grenoble Road but I'm worried about how the new stadium is going to be funded when we currently don't have a stadium we own to sell in order to pay for the new one. Also, as I have mentioned last week, other sites like Horspath playing fields may be cheaper, more environmentally friendly, and easier to obtain planning permission for.

Despite having attended OUFC matches since 1975, I haven't signed the petition. I'm not opposed to a move away from Grenoble Road but I'm worried about how the new stadium is going to be funded when we currently don't have a stadium we own to sell in order to pay for the new one. Also, as I have mentioned last week, other sites like Horspath playing fields may be cheaper, more environmentally friendly, and easier to obtain planning permission for.
I've stayed quiet so far, to allow the discussions to develop, but have to reply to this one to say that you are wrong with every single thing you say here.

it would need 'man' power ( and OUFC permission to do so) , but old fashioned paper petions and pens outside( or inside) home turnstiles at the game v Sheff wed, and Pompey, could add 1-2k more signatures to the cause?

I would strongly suggest that would be the wrong way to go about it. Showing our support now is key to getting the process through the vital first stages and beyond. There will be plenty of people offering negative responses and it's important the relevant parties know that both supporters of the club and people around the county are behind this move. If we allow this to get to a stage where it is refused (possibly due to a perceived lack of support) then we make our job infinitely harder. A precedent is set with councillors and planners and it will encourage those with doubts to continue pressing to have the project scrapped. For what it is worth, and in my experience, it is always better to make your case early and clearly, rather than wait until you are struggling to overturn a decision against you.

But this is an online petition hosted on a petition site. How about getting people with clipboards at the game and calling it sign to support the proposal?

....thinking, - there are more than a few 'OUFC friendly' pubs, etc around ( examples - Masons Arms , Quarry, Headington, Ampleforth community pub, Risinghust, The Blackbird , BB Leys ..... there are others too) , maybe ask if they'd have 'pen n paper' petitions on the bar (so to speak) ...... those 30k Wembley crowds to watch OUFC included many (very) occasionals , who went to the Wembley games on local pub arranged coaches/ minibuses,, some of those very occasionals may show their support by signing the petition?

I've stayed quiet so far, to allow the discussions to develop, but have to reply to this one to say that you are wrong with every single thing you say here.
Well, at least you can't claim that I'm wrong saying that I've attended OUFC matches since 1975!

I can accept that Horspath may not be an ideal site, but can you tell me how Stratfield Brake is going to be funded when we don't have a stadium to sell?

I can accept that Horspath may not be an ideal site, but can you tell me how Stratfield Brake is going to be funded when we don't have a stadium to sell?

Stratfield brake land is a 250 year lease which is minimal cost a year to OCC so no purchase price for land.

£150 million build cost for everything on the site and infrastructure like bridges across the dual Carriageway and extra bus subsidy.
This will be paid for by share holders , Erick, Bakrie, Horst a few others and the way they make their money back is rental on the facilities as well as sponsorship etc.
This will be a long term project and is not going to be like kassam earning a quick buck, I'm guessing their aim is to establish us as a top 30 club where they can grow the brand overseas as well in Oxfordshire this will make them alot of money.
The good thing about this site is they will never own the land so can't change legal conditions and it will always be available to us at a far better price than currently.

This will be paid for by share holders , Erick, Bakrie, Horst a few others and the way they make their money back is rental on the facilities as well as sponsorship etc.
This will be a long term project and is not going to be like kassam earning a quick buck, I'm guessing their aim is to establish us as a top 30 club where they can grow the brand overseas as well in Oxfordshire this will make them alot of money.
The good thing about this site is they will never own the land so can't change legal conditions and it will always be available to us at a far better price than currently.
Sounds fine in theory but there is always a risk in relying on rich investors. We have all seen how some clubs (mostly non-league admittedly) have run into problems after relying on a money man to fund them and then running into problems if the money man suddenly dies or loses interest in football and walks away.

Ideally I would prefer OUFC to be fan-owned and fund the new stadium the AFC Wimbledon way but this is not going to happen until the government passes a German-style law that ensures that the fans control at least 51% of the club they support.

Sounds fine in theory but there is always a risk in relying on rich investors. We have all seen how some clubs (mostly non-league admittedly) have run into problems after relying on a money man to fund them and then running into problems if the money man suddenly dies or loses interest in football and walks away.

Ideally I would prefer OUFC to be fan-owned and fund the new stadium the AFC Wimbledon way but this is not going to happen until the government passes a German-style law that ensures that the fans control at least 51% of the club they support.
That would be the utopia but I can't think of one successful club where this is the structure. Football's an expensive sport these days and so wealthy backers are a requirement if you want any type of success.

Stratfield Brake is the way forward and of course there is risk as with any major development but I would encourage you to sign the petition as it could transform the club's fortunes and be a superb facility for Oxfordshire. There is no plan to buy the Kassam or develop other sites.

Well, at least you can't claim that I'm wrong saying that I've attended OUFC matches since 1975!

Pretty much as OX14 said.

It is a 250 year lease at a peppercorn rent, so that takes care of the land. The cost will be in the construction of the stadium and the enabling developments. This would initially be mostly funded by our owners, with the stadium (and the facilities within it) remaining with the club (by way of protected contracts/covenants) and, in time, the enabling developments sold, or leased to an operator, to provide a return on our owners' initial outlay.

Not having a stadium to sell, to fund the new development, applies to any and every site we may have looked at, and you can thank a certain F Kassam for that. We are not relying on one rich investor, who may suddenly die, but several of them. We'd have to be pretty unlucky if they all dropped down dead at the same time!

This is by far the best chance the club has ever had, in my lifetime, to fulfil, or exceed, its potential, whilst becoming fully sustainable both economically and environmentally, and becoming a beacon for the whole of Oxfordshire sport, and I've been going to games a lot longer than you!

I can't believe a single fan will not be 100% behind this.

I am not sure how much you have followed this and many many other threads before it?
You may well prefer the Wimbledon model, but it appears to me that the club will potentially benefit from World Class facilities, with a low rent and opportunity to keep the ancillary revenues.
It could allow the club to compete in the Championship.
Like Colin, I unsure as to why any supporter wouldn't be behind this.

I may be unusual but I prefer a guarantee of financial safety to success on the field. I actually started following the club during the relegation season of 1975-76 (how many other fans can say that?) rather than when they were rising through the divisions. And Stratfield Brake will in fact be a sort of homecoming for me because I grew up in nearby Yarnton! So I'm not opposed to moving there in principle, it's just that I would like to wait and see how things develop.

Well without a new stadium, the owners won’t hang around and our financial safety will be non existent. If we stay at the Kassam and have to renew the lease for another 25 years, what owner in there right mind is going to come in and take the club on, whilst having to pay extortionate rent for terrible facilities and practically no ways of making money, with little chamce of being able to compete with teams around us due to being hamstrung by the stadium.
I would go as far as saying without a new stadium the future of the club would be in doubt.

I don't think the survival of the club is in any immediate danger, but you have made a good point when you say that the investors would not want us to continue playing at a stadium that they have no control over.

Back
Top Bottom