Shrewsbury match COYO

Well for me, this is not much of a goer. It doesn't look like the first shirt, which didn't have blue on it and had a collar. (I don't think the original had a badge either, but I could forgive them that). It's just a stock shirt with a HUFC badge stuck on it. I AM a replica shirt buyer (although I never wear them except at matches) but won't be in the queue for this one. Still, if 125 people do like them and are prepared to pay that price (surely they should have been £125 ;) ) then good luck to them.

As sad as I am, I see stuff like this as an investment in a collection. When we win the Premier League, stuff like that gets the completist nerds out who want to complete a collection.

That's my excuse anyway (but I won't buy this one) :p

Most people who buy these shirts won’t be able to wear them anyway. What’s the chances of getting your size out of 125 and you’re in a queue?

The write up says … to complete vintage look and style ….. did they have the puma logo on the shirt 125 years ago?

Surprised there has not been more merchandise to commemorate the 125 years. Maybe more will be released nearer Christmas.

For those fans who have decided not to buy this commemorative shirt, why not do something special with the money you've saved and donate to the Yellow Army 125 Walk and 2 great charities - the Community Trust and Oxfordshire Mind.

We've made it even easier to donate, as you can now donate by text:

You can donate whatever amount you want, by putting the amount in the text message.

So to donate £3 just text “OUFC18 £3” to 70070. If you want to donate £5, then text “OUFC18 £5“. For £10, it’s “OUFC18 £10” and so on.

JustGiving page: https://www.justgiving.com/campaign/YellowArmy125

To find out more: http://www.yellowarmy.co.uk/yellow-army-125-walk/

As one who was there in the Headington days that shirt is absolutely nothing like the original. Old Gold and Navy with a collar and damned heavy weave!!!

I'm a little surprised the Independent has picked this up but pleased. The idea of a commemorative shirt is a good one but this is terrible execution of it. The price is also ridiculous.

I'd be more inclined to buy a special edition "Toffs"-style top with the proper detailing and collar. Anytime a commemorative shirt is made there's usually a bit more effort than taking a modern Puma top and sticking a badge on it. Didn't they play the Manchester derby in old shirts and baggy shorts one year to commemorate Munich?

Tap in retro Oxford united into ebay, a cracking t shirt and this is what the club should be doing and other stuff along these lines.

Not buying that. Neither the shirt or his lenghy explanation (he doth protest too much). Shameless profiteering on the back of emotion. Whenever there's emotion involved in anything e.g baby products, weddings, funerals etc there's a premium added that give those things a huge profit margin. He's applied the 'emotion premium' on this shirt. A bit cynical imo.

Not buying that. Neither the shirt or his lenghy explanation (he doth protest too much). Shameless profiteering on the back of emotion. Whenever there's emotion involved in anything e.g baby products, weddings, funerals etc there's a premium added that give those things a huge profit margin. He's applied the 'emotion premium' on this shirt. A bit cynical imo.

I think it's all explained perfectly well and reasonable, both the numbers produced and the price, as well as it being a Puma shirt.

To be honest even without that explanation I don't see a problem. No one has to buy the shirt, and it is a commemorative shirt and not meant to be an exact copy of what was worn in 1893. In fact, in 1893 the players most likely were not even all wearing the same top as in the early days things were not quite so exact.

As for a rip off, the same could be said for a £40 or £50 shirt that is produced in the thousands and costs just a few quid to make.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom