League One Should we report Racist incidents at football

LowerSouth

I raise this after listening to the Tottenham vs Chelsea game.
Three tannoy announcements were made regarding such an occurrence.
If witnessed:
Should/would you(we) report the perpetrator(S).

Obviously it should be reported.

I'm not sure how Rudiger could have heard anything discernible over the noise of the crowd though - I wonder how they'll pick that one apart at Spurs. Tough to keep on top of.

On a similar note I heard one fellow behind me on Wednesday night making homophobic remarks towards Raheem Sterling. Now I am fairly certain Sterling is a straight man but nethertheless this sort of 1950s behaviour needs to stop now.

If you here it ,report it.
What about chants aimed at persons of a certain shape and size ?

I was just wondering if the FA insisted on no alcohol on sale at offending grounds for big games and sobriety tests as a condition of entry, would provide a big disincentive to those morons who think this a funny thing to do?

Not entirely practical, but quite a big statement

If you here it ,report it.
What about chants aimed at persons of a certain shape and size ?
Arguably, whilst offensive they do not represent a protected characteristic so wouldn't be reportable in the same way.

As the big man walked off on Saturday I heard him called by his colour followed by a serious bad 4 lettered word. It made me cringe, how does that stand re racism?

As the big man walked off on Saturday I heard him called by his colour followed by a serious bad 4 lettered word. It made me cringe, how does that stand re racism?
It's racist, and should have been reported. If you know the rough seating where the comment was directed from then I'd inform the club. They might not be able to do anything now but it can be monitored in future.

It's racist, and should have been reported. If you know the rough seating where the comment was directed from then I'd inform the club. They might not be able to do anything now but it can be monitored in future.
Will do.

On 5 Live this morning they asked a very simple question - 'should there be any tolerance if someone is racially abused at work'. The answer of course is no. Footballers are at their place of work when playing a match.

I was just wondering if the FA insisted on no alcohol on sale at offending grounds for big games and sobriety tests as a condition of entry, would provide a big disincentive to those morons who think this a funny thing to do?

Not entirely practical, but quite a big statement

Disagree with this idea. Why punish the liberty of everyone because of the behavior of a few? It’s no different to closing our stadium because pyrotechnics were set off. It also makes the protagonists more influential and powerful.

improve reporting and punishment of individuals

Disagree with this idea. Why punish the liberty of everyone because of the behavior of a few? It’s no different to closing our stadium because pyrotechnics were set off. It also makes the protagonists more influential and powerful.

If your ground was closed for racist incidents, it might galvanise the fans to report any future repeats.

If your ground was closed for racist incidents, it might galvanise the fans to report any future repeats.

If I have a season ticket and sit nowhere near any incident and never hear a thing then I can do nothing to affect change. We are getting into the very principles of justice and liberty.

if someone in your village commits a crime can we send everyone in the village to jail if we don’t find the miscreant?

On 5 Live this morning they asked a very simple question - 'should there be any tolerance if someone is racially abused at work'. The answer of course is no. Footballers are at their place of work when playing a match.

It’s not quite as simple at that though - Akinfenwa was serenaded with chants of ‘you fat b*stard’ as he left the pitch and no-one is suggesting that’s wrong, but in almost any other workplace if a person or people came along and started chanting that at an employee going about their day then there would be action taken!

The fact is it’s irrelevant whether it’s at work, at home, in the street, wherever - there’s no place for racism in our society. It’s illegal and rightly so.

Reporting is one thing, but until we get better at actually punishing people nothing will change. As I’ve said before, a small group of our fans racially abused Bristol Rovers players two seasons running at their place, and both times the stewards refused to do anything as “We didn’t hear it so there’s nothing we can do”. Until all clubs at all levels sort out their protocols there is only so far the issue can go in terms of improvement.

As Gary Neville was saying at the weekend, when this stuff happens in Bulgaria or any other Eastern European country everybody is up in arms and demands immediate sanctions, but when it happens here - and it now happens just as often - a lot of people are nowhere near as outraged and there isn’t such urgency to their demands. It very much goes from “How dare they, throw the book at them and sling them out, make them play behind closed doors if need be, the animals” to something much more like “That’s out of order, can’t believe it’s happening, they should get a banning order but let’s not punish everybody for the behaviour of a few”. It needs tackling as a serious and completely unacceptable act, not soundbites and platitudes.

That's the point ultimately. I know some fans have a bizarre no snitch mentality but the only way to stop it is if the idiots understand that real implications of them acting like a tool - Kick It Out and their virtue signalling clearly have had little affect in stopping this.

It does make them more powerful, but how many fans would be pissed off that they can't have a beer at a game? Quite a lot. I'd suggest that the peer pressure would work wonders.

Back
Top Bottom