Shotts comments last night

Ox4Eva

Great to hear he has so much love for the club still and passion which is sadly lacking with most of our players these days!

He made some interesting comments about his time as manager. He never came across as bitter in any way but did say he was forced to offload players and there was a lot of lies behind the scenes. He never said anymore, but it was interesting to hear.

Great to hear he has so much love for the club still and passion which is sadly lacking with most of our players these days!

He made some interesting comments about his time as manager. He never came across as bitter in any way but did say he was forced to offload players and there was a lot of lies behind the scenes. He never said anymore, but it was interesting to hear.

That was all down to the c**t who is known as Kassam

Very accurately and astutely identified a lot of what's wrong in how OUFC set up and played last night .....would make an excellent defensive coach IMO

His revelation about him n Rambo starting their intimidation of the opposition when lining up pre match in the tunnel made me laugh..... and realise just how powder puff like our current batch of cbs are in comparison too.....different times Now, but Briggs n shotts had an aura of menace and an attitude that screamed they shall not pass. Those were the days!

Shotts never cut it as a manager. Throwing his scarf into the beech road stand as a parting gift. Whenever questioned post match on an away defeat all we got was "Well, you were there, what do you think?" Absolute legend but came up short when in charge.....perhaps.".distance lends enchancement" and all that. Great that our result is the first he looks for. Top man.

Shotts never cut it as a manager. Throwing his scarf into the beech road stand as a parting gift. Whenever questioned post match on an away defeat all we got was "Well, you were there, what do you think?" Absolute legend but came up short when in charge.....perhaps.".distance lends enchancement" and all that. Great that our result is the first he looks for. Top man.
Did a job when first came in as manager and turned round a similarly lacking in confidence OUFC squad as now in a short time..... in the longer term he was forced to sell players to balance the books and was soon very disillusioned by the chairman's aspirations for oùfc vastly differing from his......yes it didn't end Well,shotts tenure as manager, but, how much of that situation was down to the then owner? What happened behind the scenes at that time I guess we'll never know the details of

We all know he came up short as a manger, I was more interested in his comments regarding the lies behind the scenes.

Did a job when first came in as manager and turned round a similarly lacking in confidence OUFC squad as now in a short time..... in the longer term he was forced to sell players to balance the books and was soon very disillusioned by the chairman's aspirations for oùfc vastly differing from his......yes it didn't end Well,shotts tenure as manager, but, how much of that situation was down to the then owner? What happened behind the scenes at that time I guess we'll never know the details of

He did indeed save our bacon when he first took on the job. He even received a number of Sports Personality of the Year nominations I believe, as noted by the presenters if memory serves!

Still remember the goosebumps for his first game in charge, despite not having seen him as a player.

On his ultimate failure as a manger, I have no doubt that he was in a very difficult position with difficult circumstances. However, I also feel that his apparent Major General style of management is the kind that leads to short term benefits - and particularly when a team is struggling - but becomes increasingly unpopular and unsuccessful over a longer period of time.

Particularly given the personalities of modern footballers who don’t respond well to being constantly bellowed at.

That’s all conjecture however and he of course remains an Oxford legend - perhaps even the greatest of them all in many eyes.

Finally, am I right in thinking that a coded message for Shotton was left in his ghost written programme notes for what proved to be his last game? I seem to recall that someone in the back office was irked by his behaviour and decided to start each paragraph with a letter which spelt out a less than flattering phrase. Someone on here will know I’m sure!

Remember chatting to him walking away from Watford after one of the two called off Cup game. Genuine and friendly chap who clearly cared about the club.

He did indeed save our bacon when he first took on the job. He even received a number of Sports Personality of the Year nominations I believe, as noted by the presenters if memory serves!

Still remember the goosebumps for his first game in charge, despite not having seen him as a player.

On his ultimate failure as a manger, I have no doubt that he was in a very difficult position with difficult circumstances. However, I also feel that his apparent Major General style of management is the kind that leads to short term benefits - and particularly when a team is struggling - but becomes increasingly unpopular and unsuccessful over a longer period of time.

Particularly given the personalities of modern footballers who don’t respond well to being constantly bellowed at.

That’s all conjecture however and he of course remains an Oxford legend - perhaps even the greatest of them all in many eyes.

Finally, am I right in thinking that a coded message for Shotton was left in his ghost written programme notes for what proved to be his last game? I seem to recall that someone in the back office was irked by his behaviour and decided to start each paragraph with a letter which spelt out a less than flattering phrase. Someone on here will know I’m sure!
Heard similar 're those programme notes.....with snowflakes everywhere including professional football at all levels poor little lambs would be unsettled n offended if shouted at..... conversely didn't shotts cb partner Rambo warm up for games by headbutting goal posts till he needed stitches? It seemed like he did & just to get ready for the match kick off too :):)

Heard similar 're those programme notes.....with snowflakes everywhere including professional football at all levels poor little lambs would be unsettled n offended if shouted at..... conversely didn't shotts cb partner Rambo warm up for games by headbutting goal posts till he needed stitches? It seemed like he did & just to get ready for the match kick off too :):)

A bit before my time but I’m sure you’re right. It certain fits with how Shotton has been characterised over the corresponding years.

Heard similar things about Big Ron being intimidating in the tunnel in his greased up state (as it were) before screaming as he ran down the tunnel.

Can’t quite imagine it from current players (which is probably for the best in all fairness, much as I loathe the behaviour of Premier League types).

I remember going to pay for a season ticket back in the nineteen nineties. Was it in the club or London Road Stand? I just cannot remember. Anyway, paid up and wandered round to see the state of the pitch. Fresh paint all round and emerald green turf glinting in the sunlight. Terrific!. Who should be standing on the Beech Road terracing...none other than Malcolm. Just about to go on holiday. We had a few words and walked round to the London Road terracing. The dreaded wire netting was in place. "God" he said, "I could never watch football in these conditions. How do you put up with it?" He had never spectated from the London Road Stand. I must have said something like "thats what we do". Similar to today, hoping for something better. We are all programmed in, here for the log haul. Otherwise why would we be on this Forum?. Roll on Saturday.

His comments does bring it home how our wee club has been used and abused by certain custodians over the years. Not including DE in this statement but has any club had so many unscrupulous and useless owners/chairman as we have had over the years?

Blimey, is that true?

Back
Top Bottom