Shotts comments last night

Dave Roberts, now that boy could play. Took no prisoners either ?

Now you're talking, brilliant player for us. Dave Roberts played his last match for Oxford in February 1975 when we beat Manure at the Manor. Across the intervening 43 years (blimey!), he's always been the standard I judge our midfielders by. IMO no one's bettered him.

Reminds me of the old 70’s era defenders mantra:

Incidentally has anyone read ‘The greatest player you never saw - The Robin Friday Story’? There’s a great bit in there about a game against Oxford and the Oxford defenders had reputations for being real brutes. Can’t remember who they were but he said he got a real kicking. It was before Shotton and Briggs arrived.

I believe Robin Friday played his last game for Reading against Oxford at the Manor in the 1976/77 season. I saw the game and remember him being substituted. By deduction the Oxford players referred to could have been Colin 'Nobby' Clarke and Max Briggs? However, at the time they just seemed like the standard, no nonsense type of players of their day.

Up front I remember Hughie Curran, Nigel Cassidy and Micky Bullock putting themselves about a bit :sneaky:
Bullock vowed never to play for Oxford again. He was correct...he never did. Dont know what the trouble was.

Getting back to Shotts on RadOx last night, his analysis of the weaknesses of the current team was spot-on, as might be expected from someone of his experience. Inability to prevent crosses, even though that was to be entirely predictable from the pattern of play Rotherham have adopted this season. Huge space between the back four and midfield. Also, inexperience of the full-backs being a problem, more so than the deficiencies of the centre backs, at least yesterday.

It was good to have him on the commentary team, rather have him than Rosie who as a club employee can't be as objective, understandably.

I do remember 2 away victories during his rein. At Nottingham Forest, we won 3-1, Joey B got 2 and Weatherspoon got the other. Forest were top but Van Hoodonk was on strike and then the 2-0 win at Man City. , Joey B and Cook scored. That win pushed Man City further down the table and they were eventually relegated to the THIRD Division to play York, Macclesfield and Stockport.

I do remember 2 away victories during his rein. At Nottingham Forest, we won 3-1, Joey B got 2 and Weatherspoon got the other. Forest were top but Van Hoodonk was on strike and then the 2-0 win at Man City. , Joey B and Cook scored. That win pushed Man City further down the table and they were eventually relegated to the THIRD Division to play York, Macclesfield and Stockport.
I like a pint, but shouldnt that be Weatherstone!

Shotts gave me his OUFC coat after we lost 1 - 7 to Birmingham! I still have it at my parents house!!!
Holy Roman empire played in the supporters club before that then record defeat...coincidently holy Roman empire singer/front man was on a rare visit to Oxford yesterday met him for beer n a catchup...wasnt that 1-7 defeat the only time loanee keeper salmon appeared for us?

Holy Roman empire played in the supporters club before that then record defeat...coincidently holy Roman empire singer/front man was on a rare visit to Oxford yesterday met him for beer n a catchup...wasnt that 1-7 defeat the only time loanee keeper salmon appeared for us?

Yup. Makes the fact we went and won in the same season at Birmingham even more astounding...one of the best defensive and tactical performances you'll ever see, together with Brian Wilsterman playing hands down his best game for us. Walk back to the station wasn't too clever mind...

Yup. Makes the fact we went and won in the same season at Birmingham even more astounding...one of the best defensive and tactical performances you'll ever see, together with Brian Wilsterman playing hands down his best game for us. Walk back to the station wasn't too clever mind...

That walk back to the station was bloody painful! I copped full can of coke on the canister and a few digs from some seriously pissed off Brummies lol

I felt he insinuated that we didn’t have the right personnel to avoid relegation when asked about our chances if we were to be unfortunately dragged into this situation.

Last edited:
I felt he insinuated that we didn’t have the right personnel to avoid relegation when asked about our chances if we were to be unfortunately dragged into a this situation.

Yes you're correct, as I think he implied that in a relegation battle the loan players in particular lacked the experience and strength required. Shotts was clearly wanting to be charitable to his old team but (to his credit) didn't loss his critical faculties. Hope he's proved wrong in this instance!

Yes!!!

Now you're talking, brilliant player for us. Dave Roberts played his last match for Oxford in February 1975 when we beat Manure at the Manor. Across the intervening 43 years (blimey!), he's always been the standard I judge our midfielders by. IMO no one's bettered him.
Dave was a CB and a very very good one. Scored one of the goals when we won 3-1 at Swindon in 1973. Him and Nobby Clarke were one of the best pairings we've had at CB.

His (Shotts) first game as manager was home v Portsmouth. He was supposed to watch from the directors box but by the start of the second half he was on the touchline barking out orders. We won 1-0 with a late goal (Joey?). He shook the hand of every Oxford player as they left the pitch.

We had some great results during his reign. Forest and Man City away have already been mentioned. I remember us tonking Ipswich and Stoke in successive home games. Think we even won away at Everton in the league cup. It didn't end well and I imagine the hard running he put in training sessions wasn't popular with some players. Incidentally, that came from his own way of preparing for pre-season when he would run up and down South Park wearing bin bags to sweat out the pounds. That said, the behind the scenes situation at the club at the time made it nigh on inpossible for any manager to do a successful job. Always was and always will be an OUFC legend in my eyes

Dave was a CB and a very very good one. Scored one of the goals when we won 3-1 at Swindon in 1973. Him and Nobby Clarke were one of the best pairings we've had at CB.

Correct about Dave Roberts being a CB, my bad. Proves years of watching Oxford has been bad for my memory, too much stress. For example I can't remember any of the goals he must have scored for us but then I guess he wouldn't have scored that many? Clarke played nearly 500 games for Oxford and I do remember a great goal he scored against Sunderland at the Manor, a cracking shot from around 35 yards late in the game (maybe!). Edit; yes thank you WWW - scored in the 85th minute, their goalie was Jim Montgomery who was no slouch.

Last edited:
Clarkey was one of the best. Loved a few pints of a Sunday lunchtime in the Quarry Gate. Back home to Sandhills on his pushbike at 2.30 (early closing then!). He would not have complained having to drive a Mini Metro for a fortnight. Big Time Charlies today.

Back
Top Bottom