Shotts comments last night

With a bit more support I think he would have been regarded as a better manager than he is often given credit for.
At the time many supporters shared his passion and if hadn’t been forced to sell many players that relegation to division three might have been put on hold for a while longer.
He was very unlucky with a Kevin Francis who netted many goals in not many appearances. The result against Chelsea in the cup sat very badly with many supporters as we were cheated out of a good result with the resultant revenue.
Always liked Shotts and will always remember fondly his lifting the cup at Wembley in 1986

With a bit more support I think he would have been regarded as a better manager than he is often given credit for.
At the time many supporters shared his passion and if hadn’t been forced to sell many players that relegation to division three might have been put on hold for a while longer.
He was very unlucky with a Kevin Francis who netted many goals in not many appearances. The result against Chelsea in the cup sat very badly with many supporters as we were cheated out of a good result with the resultant revenue.
Always liked Shotts and will always remember fondly his lifting the cup at Wembley in 1986
Kevin Francis used to like a pint across the road in the "Standard". A giant of a man.

Very accurately and astutely identified a lot of what's wrong in how OUFC set up and played last night .....would make an excellent defensive coach IMO

His revelation about him n Rambo starting their intimidation of the opposition when lining up pre match in the tunnel made me laugh..... and realise just how powder puff like our current batch of cbs are in comparison too.....different times Now, but Briggs n shotts had an aura of menace and an attitude that screamed they shall not pass. Those were the days!
Reminds me of the old 70’s era defenders mantra:

‘The ball may pass by, the player may pass by. But never the two together..’

Incidentally has anyone read ‘The greatest player you never saw - The Robin Friday Story’? There’s a great bit in there about a game against Oxford and the Oxford defenders had reputations for being real brutes. Can’t remember who they were but he said he got a real kicking. It was before Shotton and Briggs arrived.

Incidentally has anyone read ‘The greatest player you never saw - The Robin Friday Story’? There’s a great bit in there about a game against Oxford and the Oxford defenders had reputations for being real brutes. Can’t remember who they were but he said he got a real kicking. It was before Shotton and Briggs arrived.
Robin Gladwin played for us in the sixties. Could it be him!

Book co written by an aquintance of mine Paolo Hewitt who tentatively looked albeit some years ago now into doing a book on Gary Briggs, working title was'.... the hardest man in English football'....robin Friday ex Cardiff & r**d*ng was immortalised in the super furry animals song the man don't give a f**k....which was about right given the story about him getting sent off intentionally and taking a dump in the opposition's communal bath!

Yep, that mantra seemed to be the absolute norm in the 70s :D

60s,70s and 80s OUFC had some proper no nonsense defenders to say the least

Up front too we had some seriously 'competitive ' strikers too....last of the hard as nails players to play for us Billy Whitehurst who also made £ on the side of playing football as a bare knuckle fighter

Dave Roberts perhaps or even Big Ron aka Tank ? @Maurice Earp may be able to help? (pre Briggs n shotton)

Last edited:

Book co written by an aquintance of mine Paolo Hewitt who tentatively looked albeit some years ago now into doing a book on Gary Briggs, working title was'.... the hardest man in English football'....robin Friday ex Cardiff & r**d*ng was immortalised in the super furry animals song the man don't give a f**k....which was about right given the story about him getting sent off intentionally and taking a dump in the opposition's communal bath!

Up front too we had some seriously 'competitive ' strikers too....last of the hard as nails players to play for us Billy Whitehurst who also made £ on the side of playing football as a bare knuckle fighter

Had no idea you had an association with Paolo Hewitt.

He runs in similar circles to a number of ex-colleagues of mine, back when writing about music was putting food on the table (or not as was sometimes the case!)

Particularly like his album-by-album book on Bowie.

Had no idea you had an association with Paolo Hewitt.

He runs in similar circles to a number of ex-colleagues of mine, back when writing about music was putting food on the table (or not as was sometimes the case!)

Particularly like his album-by-album book on Bowie.
Move in similar circles as Paolo for me day job.....hes prolific as a book writer, often out n about same places I am, hes also a rabid spuds fan too

• React
Reactions: MJB

Name dropper! ?
I have several books by him myself, knows a lot about mod/soul and in particular my musical idol the late great Steve Marriott

Shots was class on the pitch, as manager I think he would of been great had he had been backed and not had to sell players, was it him who had the strikers defending from the top chasing down the defenders then swapping strikers after about 65 minuets?

Name dropper! ?
I have several books by him myself, knows a lot about mod/soul and in particular my musical idol the late great Steve Marriott
Paolo has co written several books with small faces as the subject with John Hellier who runs the darlings of wrapping wharf launder the small faces fanzine and runs the annual small faces convention

Thatl
Paolo has co written several books with small faces as the subject with John Hellier who runs the darlings of wrapping wharf launder the small faces fanzine and runs the annual small faces convention

That’ll be “The Darlings of Wapping Wharf Launderette” mate ?

Remember chatting to him walking away from Watford after one of the two called off Cup game. Genuine and friendly chap who clearly cared about the club.

Yes, I had a similar experience. Couldn’t believe he was actually talking to me.
But, by all accounts he was a bit of a bully in the dressing room. The seargent major approach worked at first, but he had lost the players by the end.

Back
Top Bottom