Ex Player Shotton & Briggs...

I always remember the time we played Wimbledon and John Fashanu who was rated along with Whitehurst as one of the hardest strikers around.
He tried it on with Briggsy early on. A few minutes later when the play was at the other end he 'mysteriously' went down in the centre circle with Briggsy trotting on looking puzzled! He was down for a good five minutes and hardly touched the ball for the rest of the game!!

Ah, the glory days. Watch Shotts and Briggs batter some forwards giving Hebberd and Brock the platform for their skills to win the games. And afterwards Shotts would be in the supporters club for ages signing autographs. Legend.
If he was in the Supporters Club he would have been on his own. The rest were across the road in the Standard. Wonderful days.

Why are you sorry its the mail now the the biggest selling paper in the uk 1.2 million as against the Guardian 135.000 the BBC in house mag .
68 posts in 2 years and you post this? Glad you seem to prefer a "newspaper" to commenting on this wonderful team of ours.

Back to topic.... Briggsy and Shotts they were our centre backs for the first three seasons I started watching Oxford (83/84; 84/85 & 85/86 how lucky was I!) Funnily enough I could never understand how some of the players who followed were never as strong!

Malcolm as manager should be reviewed in hindsight too... he kept us up in 97/98 when we all feared relegation and in 98/99 when we were another Bolton or Bury:
Didn't make a payment on record signing for 8 months after buying him
MD (Keith Cox) resigned after newspaper made allegations about some business deals in Florida 20 years before
Staff & players got paid a week late at end of September and staff didn't get paid for another 2 1/2 months until mid-December
Takeover fight between the man who did ITVs F1 coverage and a hotelier putting out asylum seekers in Kings Cross
Stadium sitting half built and rusting for two years
Yet we only got relegated by less than three points on the final day after having average crowds of 7,000

Legends both.

If my memory is correct Rougvie had come down from Scotland and had built something of a hard man reputation. Briggs absolutely steamrolled him in a collision that literally made the ground shake. Rougvie's reputation lay shattered after that.

The season Shotton, Big kev and Joey kept us up was amazing! We were in deep poo when Shotts took over and he turned it around - great season. The next season financially we were screwed, lost key players and Shotts couldn't perform a second miracle. Still should be remembered fondly as a manager.

Back
Top Bottom