Seems we will be having a winter break

OX11yellow

BREAKING: The FA, Premier League and EFL announce new two-week break in February from 2019-20 season. #SSN

Pandering to the wishes of obscenely overpaid manager and player prima donnas from hotter climes abroad, who cant deal with, handle or play in, ( even if wearing a snood, gloves and under kit body warmers), winter conditions in England?.... Why? What is the PR spin on this latest nonsensical change to what was once a working class sport?

Well, let's hope someone has told the weather gods that all the frozen and/or flooded pitches should happen within that two weeks in February (!!) then. Or we will have the matches we should have played in that time plus the ones postponed all to fit into what is presumably a shortened season with two less Saturdays in it. Which will mean more midweek matches (less income for clubs than on a Saturday, usually), unless they are going to make the season a fortnight longer, extending it until the middle of June.

But never mind. We will win the World Cup in four years time because of this amazing innovation and the Prem teams will have a chance to fly out to China a play a couple of lucrative exhibition matches, so all's right with the world.

the stupid thing is it really only amounts to about 5 days if that as they have to return to 5 days training anyway.
i wonder if the idiots in charge of our game ever bother to notice that there are postponed games at all times of the season due to water,snow,fog etc.

Premshite clubs booking their warm climate "breaks" as we speak

the stupid thing is it really only amounts to about 5 days if that as they have to return to 5 days training anyway.
i wonder if the idiots in charge of our game ever bother to notice that there are postponed games at all times of the season due to water,snow,fog etc.

Premshite clubs booking their warm climate "breaks" as we speak
Lucrative 'exhibition' matches/ tournaments abroad

I look forward to Manchester United getting a rest playing a friendly in China in that break.

There will be 5 games each end of the break, so staggered in effect!
FA cup 5th round moved to midweek with no replay's from that point.
"Each weekend during the break will feature five Premier League games on the first weekend and five on the following weekend."

So does that mean for instance 2nd and 3rd Feb 5 games, 9th and 10th no games, 16 and 17th five games?

In the official statement it states that this is only for the Premier League and that all 3 EFL divisions will be unaffected.

So the Premier League needs a break playing 38 matches a season with their 100 player squads, whilst the 46 match a season EFL with shoe string squads must soldier on. Laughable.

The ironic thing is, English players going to the world cup have played less minutes than other countries. So tiredness or a lack of winter break is no excuse

so if you play 38 games you need and can have a break but if you play 46 don't even think about a rest

then they talk of the great fa cup and their masterplan to fuc* that up as well with midweek games in the 5th round

do we kiss your left or right foot mr scudamore !

"To incorporate this, The FA has agreed to move the Emirates FA Cup fifth round matches to midweek. In addition, from the start of the 2019-20 season, fifth round replays will be removed from the calendar, being replaced with extra-time and penalties in the first tie."

Just do that with all the games and have it decided on the day. Additionally, put all the League 1 and below teams in one pot during the draw and give them home advantage. All PL/Championship teams in the other pot. That way all the lower league teams are guaranteed a payday as they will be guaranteed a home game against a PL or Champ team.

Another little rule change I spotted is than our loanees to National League clubs will now be eligible to play for us in the Checkatrade Trophy.

As much of a joke as that competition has become, I'm on board with that move.

Another little rule change I spotted is than our loanees to National League clubs will now be eligible to play for us in the Checkatrade Trophy.

As much of a joke as that competition has become, I'm on board with that move.
Agree...
Also, the invited sides will only be able to play two O23s with more than a certain number of Prem appearances, rather than the five they could do this season....ie. to allow them to use it to bring an individual back from injury.
They have also said they are going to work on a new setup from the 19/20 Checkatrade, so maybe the experiment may yet come to an end?

Back
Top Bottom