General Season tickets/state of football once this is over.

Do a live streaming season ticket convertible to an attending season ticket when individuals are able to attend matches again. In my case it would be when there is a vaccine. This would give the club an income and give fans the ability to still support the club.
What about people who have more than one fan living at home? Ie a parent with one or two children who they take with them? Also, how do you just exchange it when every stand in the ground has different price points, along with different age groups? Feels a bit diffuse...

Germany have just banned all large gatherings, thus including football, festivals and (large) concerts until the end of October. So much for keeping people sane!
Then again, they also said we can go shopping (limited floor space) and are cautiously starting some school years again.
Also small religious gatherings are approved coincidentally just before Ramadan...yalla!
Optimism, pessimism, politicism...all present and correct.
i think we'll see similar in a few weeks - more freedom of movement and some small gatherings but no big events for the rest of the year. Not sure if cafes would reopen, I doubt pubs will.

Friend of mine does her gigs live from her front room on a Saturday evening, you can chip in a few quid as you see fit.
Its only small scale but she only does relatively small gigs anyway.
She says it is a more relaxing, informal environment with a lot less pressure but she misses seeing the crowds reaction more than anything.
I think that is a very important factor for musicians, footballers or any live entertainer having the engagement with "us" be it in a gig at a match or otherwise.

Germany have just banned all large gatherings, thus including football, festivals and (large) concerts until the end of October.
Have they given any indication as to what number of people / capacity constitutes a large concert?

That Germany are putting at least that timeframe on it when their infection rate has been so low should tell the rest of us that this is a write off for some time to come. If Germany are already saying the next six months are done for on this front, the UK and a few others are going to be miles beyond that.

Have they given any indication as to what number of people / capacity constitutes a large concert?

That Germany are putting at least that timeframe on it when their infection rate has been so low should tell the rest of us that this is a write off for some time to come. If Germany are already saying the next six months are done for on this front, the UK and a few others are going to be miles beyond that.

in theory yes but whether it's deemed fit to follow a similar path and acted upon is another debate.

As I am one of those in the shielded group my health is of paramount importance to me , as a season ticket holder I would not renew until I know it’s safe for me to attend, I am sure that there are others who will be in the same boat
I will renew when they go on sale, but then only attend when it’s been proven safe to

Weren't the Germans trying to restart their football in a couple of week's time behind closed doors? Is that still going aheard?

Events with more than 5,000 people are banned till 24 October...also all team sports until further notice.

Sounds like clubs are starting to discuss League One and League Two potentially merging into two regionalised divisions, which would both technically be the ‘third tier’. Exactly like the Conference North and South. Groundswell of support beginning to gather momentum behind the scenes, apparently. Would make promotion more difficult for ‘the little clubs’ like us as each division would have less promotion spots. If the Championship agreed to a fourth relegation spot (hugely doubt that) then it would likely be the top team from each regional division, plus the playoff winner. Second would no longer get you promoted and sixth would no longer grab you a playoff spot. If they kept it at three down, you could see only the top side in each league promoted, and then one-legged playoffs in the regionals to create a ‘national playoff final’ for the third seat.

This would also mean that the regional divisions would always be shuffling around as the Championship sides coming down would frequently tip the scales in opposing directions geographically, so one or two ‘border clubs’ would be flip flopping between north and south season after season based on who came down. Perhaps people should ask Brackley Town how that works out for them, when they’re not even 10 miles north of Bicester and are constantly playing clubs that are several hours away. They’ll try to pass it off as ‘more economical for fans’ even though it won’t make a blind bit of difference, and will actually work out worse financially in some cases. “Thank God I don’t have to drive two hours to Doncaster anymore - this three hour drive to Exeter is much better! And hey, who needs games at Sunderland and Bolton when we’ve got AFC Wimbledon and Crawley to visit instead? Every year!” No weekend jollies in Blackpool, no nights on the Toon... it would be an absolute travesty. But they’re talking.

Just imagine the conversations when trying to explain this to kids:

“Are we going to Walsall this season, Dad?”

“No, son. It’s regionalised now. Walsall is in the north. Oxford are in the south.”

“But Dad, it only takes an hour to get there.”

“I know, son.”

“Well... where are we going that’s closer?”

“Plymouth, Ipswich, Colchester, Southend and Gillingham.”

“How long does it take to get to those places?”

“At least two hours. Nearer three in some cases. Longer if you stop.”

“.....but why, Dad?”

“Nobody knows, son. Nobody knows...”

EDIT: Having said that, didn’t Oxford City end up in the conference north at one point? So if it went that way you could find that it’s a club like us that ends up only getting northern outposts for fixtures, which would also harm our home attendances due to lower average numbers of visiting fans.

Last edited:
Sounds like clubs are starting to discuss League One and League Two potentially merging into two regionalised divisions, which would both technically be the ‘third tier’. Exactly like the Conference North and South. Groundswell of support beginning to gather momentum behind the scenes, apparently. Would make promotion more difficult for ‘the little clubs’ like us as each division would have less promotion spots. If the Championship agreed to a fourth relegation spot (hugely doubt that) then it would likely be the top team from each regional division, plus the playoff winner. Second would no longer get you promoted and sixth would no longer grab you a playoff spot. If they kept it at three down, you could see only the top side in each league promoted, and then one-legged playoffs in the regionals to create a ‘national playoff final’ for the third seat.

This would also mean that the regional divisions would always be shuffling around as the Championship sides coming down would frequently tip the scales in opposing directions geographically, so one or two ‘border clubs’ would be flip flopping between north and south season after season based on who came down. Perhaps people should ask Brackley Town how that works out for them, when they’re not even 10 miles north of Bicester and are constantly playing clubs that are several hours away. They’ll try to pass it off as ‘more economical for fans’ even though it won’t make a blind bit of difference, and will actually work out worse financially in some cases. “Thank God I don’t have to drive two hours to Doncaster anymore - this three hour drive to Exeter is much better! And hey, who needs games at Sunderland and Bolton when we’ve got AFC Wimbledon and Crawley to visit instead? Every year!” No weekend jollies in Blackpool, no nights on the Toon... it would be an absolute travesty. But they’re talking.

“No, son. It’s regionalised now. Walsall is in the north. Oxford are in the south.”

“I know, son.”

“.....but why, Dad?”

EDIT: Having said that, didn’t Oxford City end up in the conference north at one point? So if it went that way you could find that it’s a club like us that ends up only getting northern outposts for fixtures, which would also harm our home attendances due to lower average numbers of visiting fans.
Oxford City were indeed in Conference North for a season, they won 4-0 at Stockport County I believe when little bruv was the manager.

What about people who have more than one fan living at home? Ie a parent with one or two children who they take with them? Also, how do you just exchange it when every stand in the ground has different price points, along with different age groups? Feels a bit diffuse...
I suppose I was really thinking about season ticket renewals which would be for the current stand you are in and would convert to that. I think the club's will have to come up with something to get season ticket holders to renew who are in the vulnerable groups. Some income must be better than nothing. Unless they manage to find a way to block it fans could go the VPN route and pay the tenner. I'm thinking I would probably pay the season ticket price if I can stream live until it's safe for home games. I think probably the majority who take children would not be in the vulnerable groups.

“I know, son.”

“.....but why, Dad?”

That would be rubbish, and as you say no more convenient or cheap for travel. The great thing about League One is that it's so competitive, which would be lost if you had a division containing say Charlton and us plus Crawley and Stevenage, or Morecambe and Sunderland in the north.

“I know, son.”

“.....but why, Dad?”

This has been discussed before but never took off.

It would look like:

South:
Portsmouth
Wycombe
Gillingham
Bristol Rovers
MK Dons
Oxford
Southend
Swindon
Plymouth
Exeter
Cheltenham
Colchester
Northampton
Forest Green
Crawley
Newport
Cambridge
Orient
Stevenage
Coventry
Peterborough
Ipswich
Wimbledon

North:
Rotherham
Fleetwood
Sunderland
Doncaster
Blackpool
Lincoln
Shrewsbury
Accrington
Rochdale
Burton
Tranmere
Bolton
Crewe
Port Vale
Bradford
Salford
Grimbsy
Walsall
Carlise
Oldham
Scunthorpe
Mansfield
Macclesfield
Morecambe

Looking at the split then I can safely say football would be a lot duller by not going to places such as Lincoln, Accrington, Walsall, Crewe, Shrewsbury, Burton, Fleetwood, Blackpool. Even Grimsby, Vale and Bradford are decent away days as is Mansfield.
Trips to Northampton, Crawley, Stevenage, Colchester, Wimbledon, Newport, MK Dons, Gillingham, Peterborough, Cambridge, Forest Green aren't a good replacement by any stretch of the imagination. You could also factor in that travelling to Mansfield, Vale, Walsall, Crewe, Shrewsbury, Burton are shorter journeys than Gillingham, Colchester, Cambridge, Ipswich, Exeter, Plymouth, Southend.

How does regionalising it solve any of the current problems? Seems a strange irrelevant proposal at this time.

It’s always been a s**t idea. You might get a couple more local games but other than Swindon and Leyton Orient I don’t look at league 2 (north or south) with any excitement, and for that we lose Sunderland, Bolton, Blackpool. Plus we are worryingly close to the line where it gets divided.

It’s completely bat s**t crazy and will only harm the game, and is a total waste of time and energy given what’s going on at present, and the challenges it presents.

Which is exactly why I’m not surprised to see it coming back onto the agenda.

Back
Top Bottom