• ****Join the YF Fantasy EFL League: HERE. ****

General Season Tickets & Memberships 24/25

whilst researching what other Championship clubs do for away ticket priority, I've noticed a few points
mostly a balance between rewarding loyal supporters vs allowing new supporters to attend

• restricting ST sales so that there are match day tickets available.
  • ST being sold in areas that might be reallocated to away fans for cup games
  • ST holders getting priority for away games
  • Members [normally £30 or so, second priority]
  • Away season ticket holder [limited + price XXX]
  • Away super supporter [limited + points for going away]
  • Loyalty points schemes for away games mostly by (home) ST holder + other games attended
  • 5 year rolling points schemes to acknowledge long term supporters
  • 2 year rolling points schemes to recognise young supporters won't have that track record
  • apportioning away tickets so not all taken by the away ST holders / super fans.
I’ advocate a system with open sale to season ticket holders . I don’t see any reason for a priority system that starts to exclude those who can’t go every week or favor those who can . Just stick them on sale and let people scramble

My thoughts as well. I have waited for years to invite my Baggies supporting mate down for a game and a weekend stop over. He rarely gets to see a game these days what with kids, grandkids etc. Fairly pointless even considering inviting him now, guest ticket or not, he won't be able to sit anywhere near myself and Mrs L.
You can't get a seat in the HOME section for your AWAY mate who doesn't even go and watch his team at HOME! I know you like a good moan about your reduced circumstances (no biscuits or guaranteed away ticket etc) but I can't imagine anyone here being worried about your mate!

You can't get a seat in the HOME section for your AWAY mate who doesn't even go and watch his team at HOME! I know you like a good moan about your reduced circumstances (no biscuits or guaranteed away ticket etc) but I can't imagine anyone here being worried about your mate!
There are times when I have to wonder about the intelligence and reasoning powers of some folk on here. My good friend, who I have known for many years from when he lived in Oxford, has an affinity for West Brom. He also has an affinity for Oxford and actually enjoys watching a decent game in the company of decent friends. You may not understand that in your rather simplistic way.
Unlike some, with their rather tribal approach to football, we actually enjoy the game for the sake of the sport and, whilst this may be an alien concept for some, can enjoy the friendly rivalry without the need to resorting to anything more than friendly discussion. Inviting a friend to enjoy the spectacle and also a weekend in the company of friends is something we tend to do whenever possible.

I realise that this is all going over your head, don't worry, I'm really not bothered if you understand or not.

It was a strange deal to offer in our first season back in the second tier as increased sales were guaranteed which was always going to make this near unworkable and it was never going to be needed to drive sales, I doubt a single person bought a season ticket because they would be able to get a friend a half price ticket for a game during the season. This seems to me like it was something they thought up pre promotion then went through with without taking the promotion into account.

Bin it off with an apology then reinstate season ticket holder priority for away games, which they still haven't confirmed yet I don't think?

I’ advocate a system with open sale to season ticket holders . I don’t see any reason for a priority system that starts to exclude those who can’t go every week or favor those who can . Just stick them on sale and let people scramble
I think you're right here and I am overcomplicating things with ideas for loyalty schemes which are only really relevant to clubs with much bigger fanbases.
We've only had one game in many seasons where there has actually been an issue with ST holders not being able to get a ticket on the day they go on sale.

Had the club phone yesterday asking if I'm going to renew my ST , Strange told them next week is just me or has that happened to others?
Yes. Got the call while I was in holiday abroad. I was going to renew when I returned last week but I did it there and then on phone. Thank you to Charlotte from the Ticket Office.

I think you're right here and I am overcomplicating things with ideas for loyalty schemes which are only really relevant to clubs with much bigger fanbases.
We've only had one game in many seasons where there has actually been an issue with ST holders not being able to get a ticket on the day they go on sale.

I have found it interesting looking at how bigger clubs do it but, at the moment, with the size of the away allocations this season we are not going to need anything other than the usual season ticket holder priority. Norwich for instance is an attractive game which (for now) is on a Saturday, but its a trek away and has a 2,500 allowance, by the 8th March I don't see us selling all those for an away game, the novelty will have worn off a bit. Bristol City is one of the most attractive early away games, has a 4,500 away end though so if you want to go you will be fine. Leeds is just before Xmas, so again if you want to go you will be fine, QPR is midweek, Millwall is new years day, Coventry is a Friday night and on TV.

We will take a lot more fans on the road this year but we are not selling out all that many, especially with Sky set to move even more.

There are times when I have to wonder about the intelligence and reasoning powers of some folk on here. My good friend, who I have known for many years from when he lived in Oxford, has an affinity for West Brom. He also has an affinity for Oxford and actually enjoys watching a decent game in the company of decent friends. You may not understand that in your rather simplistic way.
Unlike some, with their rather tribal approach to football, we actually enjoy the game for the sake of the sport and, whilst this may be an alien concept for some, can enjoy the friendly rivalry without the need to resorting to anything more than friendly discussion. Inviting a friend to enjoy the spectacle and also a weekend in the company of friends is something we tend to do whenever possible.

I realise that this is all going over your head, don't worry, I'm really not bothered if you understand or not.at
It's good fun to bring a mate who supports the other team sometimes - my friend invites her Pompey mate when we play them. But you can't really blame the club if we've sold too many tickets to make this possible.

It's good fun to bring a mate who supports the other team sometimes - my friend invites her Pompey mate when we play them. But you can't really blame the club if we've sold too many tickets to make this possible.
Agree it is the double edged sword that means more season ticket holders and, conversely, less opportunity for the advertised benefit.
In both instances though, the club needs to be more proactive in communicating what they propose doing about the apparently unexpected success.

I agree with you although the mods on here may not ( an extra 100 pages of people who didn't get a ticket moaning and suggesting that the club should have rewarded their loyalty!)

I agree with you although the mods on here may not ( an extra 100 pages of people who didn't get a ticket moaning and suggesting that the club should have rewarded their loyalty!)
An extra 100 or so pages of moaning would only be a drop in the ocean on here to be fair...

It was a strange deal to offer in our first season back in the second tier as increased sales were guaranteed which was always going to make this near unworkable and it was never going to be needed to drive sales, I doubt a single person bought a season ticket because they would be able to get a friend a half price ticket for a game during the season. This seems to me like it was something they thought up pre promotion then went through with without taking the promotion into account.

Bin it off with an apology then reinstate season ticket holder priority for away games, which they still haven't confirmed yet I don't think?
It can still be achieved with applications made by ST holders in advance of individual games if that is the way the club wants to go. But even something like that would surely be a right ball ache for the ticket office to administer.

The ST holder could give up their seat in return for 2 seats together (one for ST holder and one for half price guest) as designated by the club. The club won't lose money as it gets a seat back to sell at full price which, if in SSU,is attractive to them.

They have made it messy for themselves to honour this part of the ST deal by allowing so many ST's to be sold. As you say it is not something that would drive sales in itself and I would add that maybe only half of us will take up the offer. However I must admit a Portuguese friend of mine who has never attended a game in this country wants to come along this season.

Perhaps as a get out of jail card those that don't want 2 x half price tickets could be offered a further generous discount (say £25) off a replica shirt from the club shop.

It can still be achieved with applications made by ST holders in advance of individual games if that is the way the club wants to go but it is surely now going to be a right ball ache for the ticket office to administer.

The ST holder could give up their seat in return for 2 seats together (one for ST holder and one for half price guest) as designated by the club. The club won't lose money as it gets a seat back to sell at full price which, if in SSU,is attractive to them. They have made it messy for themselves to honour this part of the ST deal by allowing so many ST's to be sold. As you say it is not something that would drive sales in itself and I would add that maybe only half of us will take up the offer. However I must admit a Portuguese friend of mine who has never attended a game in this country wants to come along this season.

Perhaps as a get out of jail card those that don't want 2 x half price tickets could be offered a further generous discount (say £25) off a replica shirt from the club shop.

I would take a discount off the shirt instead, presuming we ever get round to releasing it, be playing in skins at this rate.

I have found it interesting looking at how bigger clubs do it but, at the moment, with the size of the away allocations this season we are not going to need anything other than the usual season ticket holder priority. Norwich for instance is an attractive game which (for now) is on a Saturday, but its a trek away and has a 2,500 allowance, by the 8th March I don't see us selling all those for an away game, the novelty will have worn off a bit. Bristol City is one of the most attractive early away games, has a 4,500 away end though so if you want to go you will be fine. Leeds is just before Xmas, so again if you want to go you will be fine, QPR is midweek, Millwall is new years day, Coventry is a Friday night and on TV.

We will take a lot more fans on the road this year but we are not selling out all that many, especially with Sky set to move even more.
Luton (even on a Tuesday) and Pompey (depending on our allocation) would likely sell out to season ticket holders, if that's how we decide to sell away tickets. Watford and West Brom are maybes, depending how we're doing at the time.

I think all the other away games will be relatively easy to get tickets for, either because of distance or the large allocation.

I'm looking forward to finding out about membership schemes a week today, but I'm also not because I don't have any faith in the club implementing a sensible scheme that won't result in a free for all among members for home tickets!

Luton (even on a Tuesday) and Pompey (depending on our allocation) would likely sell out to season ticket holders, if that's how we decide to sell away tickets. Watford and West Brom are maybes, depending how we're doing at the time.

I think all the other away games will be relatively easy to get tickets for, either because of distance or the large allocation.

I'm looking forward to finding out about membership schemes a week today, but I'm also not because I don't have any faith in the club implementing a sensible scheme that won't result in a free for all among members for home tickets!

Pompey will be fine, we play them so often that if you want a ticket you will get one.

In truth for most of us if we miss out on a game (and you would have to be very unlucky if you are organised and a season ticket holder) you would just pick another away game, I can't do a couple that I wanted to do through bad luck as they have fallen on rare dates when I have something on I can't get out of, was a bit pissed off but just found another couple and will go to them instead. I appreciate that is not the case for about 200 who like to go to every game but for the rest of us its not a big deal, we pick and choose anyway.

Back
Top Bottom