Ex Player Sean Clare

Saying Long was a weak leak is incorrect, in my view. He was perfectly steady, solid, hard-working. He was a 6 or 7 out of 10 player most weeks. The problem was, he was replacing Chris Cadden who was a very potent attacking threat and often the player who almost all of our play went through. Long just isn’t that kind of right back and was never going to replicate Cadden’s buccaneering runs...
Very true, it was the same when Baldock played for us.

Very true, it was the same when Baldock played for us.

I mean it was similar, but whilst JJ Kenny wasn’t as good as Baldock, I don’t think people were discontent with his performances.
I love Longy don’t get me wrong, but it’ll take a lot of convincing to make me believe he’s fit for starting in a promotion-aspiring L1 team

I mean it was similar, but whilst JJ Kenny wasn’t as good as Baldock, I don’t think people were discontent with his performances.
I love Longy don’t get me wrong, but it’ll take a lot of convincing to make me believe he’s fit for starting in a promotion-aspiring L1 team

Were the five wins on the bounce before lockdown that put us in 3rd position in the table not enough? Or the pocketing of Ronan Curtis in the semi-final second leg? Sure, Clare is an upgrade in terms of how we want to play, but Long is a solid League One defender that most clubs, even at the top of the league, would love to have.

Clare ruled out of Saturday's cup match due to a one match ban imposed in Scotland..... I didn't realise that cup match bookings in Scotland, in Scottish football, applied in English matches? ...learn something new everyday its said, well, that's a new one on me .....

I think Clare, while probably not as good as Cadden, will maybe be rotated in and out of the team with Long, which could work well

Were the five wins on the bounce before lockdown that put us in 3rd position in the table not enough? Or the pocketing of Ronan Curtis in the semi-final second leg? Sure, Clare is an upgrade in terms of how we want to play, but Long is a solid League One defender that most clubs, even at the top of the league, would love to have.
Didn't Forde play RB in some of those 5 games?

You could just as easily say Curtis outplayed him in the first leg. Long does have some good games, but he also has plenty where he is not so good.

The club wouldn’t of paid a transfer fee for a player to sit on the bench. Clare is 100% KR’s 1st choice right back, fact!!.

I think Clare, while probably not as good as Cadden, will maybe be rotated in and out of the team with Long, which could work well
Hope not to need stability and rotating one of your defence I don’t think would be a good idea.

Didn't Forde play RB in some of those 5 games?

You could just as easily say Curtis outplayed him in the first leg. Long does have some good games, but he also has plenty where he is not so good.

Just had to check, Long featured in 3 of the 5 games. But he did play his part in getting the side to 3rd in the table throughout the season.

And even with the first leg, Curtis got the better of him for what, the first quarter of the game? 30 minutes at a push? After that we didn't see much of a threat from their key man for the rest of the two-legged tie. Anyone who says he has no place in the team is talking nonsense.

Just had to check, Long featured in 3 of the 5 games. But he did play his part in getting the side to 3rd in the table throughout the season.

And even with the first leg, Curtis got the better of him for what, the first quarter of the game? 30 minutes at a push? After that we didn't see much of a threat from their key man for the rest of the two-legged tie. Anyone who says he has no place in the team is talking nonsense.
I think Clare was brought in to start ahead of Long. Whether that turns out to be the case we shall see.

Long is the better defender, and was last season.
Clare is the better attacking player as Cadden was last season.
They'll both have a role to play and will both make mistakes.

We do not need another wing back, back up right back, right midfield or anyone else on the right!!!

From Burton local paper:

“SEAN CLARE: An attempt to make summer signing Clare into a right-back by Oxford United manager Karl Robinson had not worked out and the former Hearts and Sheffield Wednesday man jumped at the chance of playing in his more accustomed midfield on loan with Burton. He has formed a solid, hugely energetic partnership with Ryan Edwards and been a key man, although his aggression earns him bookings arguably too often. His first goal for the Brewers, albeit in defeat against Shrewsbury Town, was a cracker and most supporters would be happy for him to sign permanently.”

From Burton local paper:

“SEAN CLARE: An attempt to make summer signing Clare into a right-back by Oxford United manager Karl Robinson had not worked out and the former Hearts and Sheffield Wednesday man jumped at the chance of playing in his more accustomed midfield on loan with Burton. He has formed a solid, hugely energetic partnership with Ryan Edwards and been a key man, although his aggression earns him bookings arguably too often. His first goal for the Brewers, albeit in defeat against Shrewsbury Town, was a cracker and most supporters would be happy for him to sign permanently.”
Could they afford him?😊😉

From Burton local paper:

They obviously don't know what to do with him. He was quite definitely made to be a right back.

I really hope we retain Sean Clare as I think we began to see once the ill-fated RB conversion was over that he is a very talented midfielder who really would have filled the gap when the injury crisis was at its peak two weeks ago. Unlike some of the recent signings, his loan spell with Burton has confirmed that this guy has serious talent.

I really hope we retain Sean Clare as I think we began to see once the ill-fated RB conversion was over that he is a very talented midfielder who really would have filled the gap when the injury crisis was at its peak two weeks ago. Unlike some of the recent signings, his loan spell with Burton has confirmed that this guy has serious talent.
I'm not convinced tbh but granted it wasn't his fault he was asked to play RB at the start of the season which cost us a load of goals.

I wish him well but think we can do much better

Back
Top Bottom